Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:23 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
I recently ran the New Zealand 2011 IOM National Championship Regatta and the system we used was for a normal start with "dipping" allowed. If there was a general recall then we went to "round the ends" and if there had been another general recall then it would have been a "black flag" start. We had a few general recalls but never a second subsequent one in three days.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:02 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
FYI: There is a US Sailing iPhone app with the complete 2009-2012 Racing Rules of Sailing including the Appendices, signals, a search function and a way to bookmark pages. I forget the price, but the convenience of having it in my pocket and not having to look for the book sure is nice! There are links to other rules where appropriate, too. Check the App store
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:03 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Hello CaptainBit,

I guess dipping is a pretty common thing then.. seems risky to a nubie like me tho.. I like your solution that constrains it when it might become a problem .

I'm curious to know what sorts of problems typically trigger a general recall..in a serious Regatta race like that... my friends and I will often turn back and restart just to give eachother a fair start if one hits a mark or is over early and we're just messing around practicing.. but for the read-deal.. what generally goes wrong to justify a general recall? Can any skipper ask for a recall to postpone a start due to say a dead battery.. can he ask after the one minute point in the count down? sorry if these seem like dumb questions..
JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit View Post
I recently ran the New Zealand 2011 IOM National Championship Regatta and the system we used was for a normal start with "dipping" allowed. If there was a general recall then we went to "round the ends" and if there had been another general recall then it would have been a "black flag" star
t. We had a few general recalls but never a second subsequent one in three days.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:18 AM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
General recall

Hey Jim,
A general recall is usaully called when the race commitee cannot identify the boats that are over the line... This happens a lot when there is a big fleet, most ROs will tell you they hate to fly the black flag. BUT if the sailors dont cooperate... the races must go on.... Sailors cannot ask for a General recall or delay the start, unless its match racing. When a skipper can delay the start due to gear failure. But that is a whole new ball game
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:59 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Aaaha yes,
I noticed at our recent IOM National Regatta her in San Diego that there were a lot of IOMs all luffing right up close to the start line..and i can understand why it could easily be hard to see which one or more might be over early in that case.. Thanks Colin..
JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin470 View Post
Hey Jim,
A general recall is usaully called when the race commitee cannot identify the boats that are over the line... This happens a lot when there is a big fleet, most ROs will tell you they hate to fly the black flag. BUT if the sailors dont cooperate... the races must go on.... Sailors cannot ask for a General recall or delay the start, unless its match racing. When a skipper can delay the start due to gear failure. But that is a whole new ball game
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:42 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Most fleets with savvy skippers, will not allow dip starts on their own! Imagine a line of starboard boats on the line... all with rights over you, and figure out how you will find a hole big enough to dip start in! Believe me, they will not let you in!
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
yes Hew,
i bet intentionally planning to do Dip Start recovery is not at all normal in a race with more than a handful. but if it's not dis-allowed in advance .. and there's only a couple other boats racing.. why the heck not.. I sure would be tempted especially if it's light and neither end is favored by the prevailing wind direction.

In our last points race we only had 4 IOM participants.. but in ODOM race had 13, and I could barely see my boat for the 1st 5 minutes off the start..

trying a dip start in that stampede would have been suicide..
JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hew565 View Post
Most fleets with savvy skippers, will not allow dip starts on their own! Imagine a line of starboard boats on the line... all with rights over you, and figure out how you will find a hole big enough to dip start in! Believe me, they will not let you in!
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:28 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
Gidday Jim, yes Colin has it correct. A general recall is used when it is not possible to call the individual boats that were "OCS" (on course side" ) usually because there were just too many of them. During that first start, if just one or two boats should be OCS and their number is called, then provided they can do it without infringing, it is possible for them to duck back (completely) over the line and restart without further penalty. If the "round the ends" rule is in force then it is going to take much longer to clear the fleet and return to restart. If the "Black Flag " rule is in force then anyone over the line in the final minute is disqualified.
No skipper can ask for a restart or a hold.
There is a "Local Rule" in parts of the USA where skippers may ask for a five minute hold to repair their boat. I do know of variations on that in other parts of the USA and in different classes.
Internationally, the only time an allowance is given to a competing skipper is when his boat is damaged by another entrant who was in the wrong during the incident. Then there is an unlimited time available for the innocent skipper to repair the damage. This sort of thing only happens at the serious major regattas.

On club days of course it is a whole different ball game and we all pitch in and help get anyone broken down back on the water.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:15 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks CapatinBit

so many rules.. so little time..
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:07 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
silly racing today..

Wheeuuu ! I'm tired. We had a silly race day today. There was no wind, just moving air. It came from the North ,South then West and East. Start last way behind and then end up first. Start first and the fleet pass you at the windward mark. I get tired of thinking about it. I don't even wanna know what place I came today....
Have you guys ever had that much fun and sadness at the same time?
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:21 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
we have a lotta trees around the pond here.. it's very shifty, and at the weather mark end, everyone gets stuck. we call it "Vertical wind" when it's apparently blowing straight up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
Have you guys ever had that much fun and sadness at the same time?
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Does anyone know what design boat Peter Stollery used at the Ranking event yesterday?
I understand that the top three boats in the Rankings last week where the new Britpop's designed and built by Brad Gibson it looks like he's onto a winner.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
colin470 is offline Find More Posts by colin470
Last edited by colin470; Apr 09, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:56 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Just to let the wider RC sailing community know.....Geoff Smale .a name known to many has gone missing in his home built microlight on a flight from his home town in Auckland to Ashburton in the south island.
So far searches have proved fruitless and will continue at first light tommorrow.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:14 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
I Hope they find this legend, thoughts go out to his family and I hope they find him safely
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike