866 Posts
Yep, no carbon masts or booms for IOM's
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:18 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Does anyone know what design boat Peter Stollery used at the Ranking event yesterday?
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:59 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Hi Ted,
Ist day of the IOM rankings I see Brad done it again I know most of the boats that were sailed but not sure about Peter's.
Last edited by ToniGe23; Apr 03, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:03 AM
Italia, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
GBR Ranking

Stollery has used a model called Britpop, building Brad Gibson
for more information : http://mainboom.blogspot.com/

cheers, massimo
mainboom is offline Find More Posts by mainboom
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:16 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Thanks.

That's what I thought when I saw the pictures. That is the Brad's new design that he has been using since last summer. He came here to the USA and won nearly every race at our Nationals.

From BG Sails & Design News:

"Our Britpop lines and prototype plug is now in the hands of its UK builder for full tooling and machining work to be done with production to follow as soon as ready."
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:38 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Question came up today..

I hit a marker buoy we tossed out to use as the starting line marker, but was on a downwind run, and I did a 360 penalty turn .. but my competitors both said itís not required unless you are starting , and after that, that mark is just an obstruction .. BUT that doesn't seem right to me.. Iím not so sure, tried to find it in the racing rules but they are hard to interpret. .. seems like any time you hit a mark there should be a penalty shouldnít there.. And I am assuming one of you IOM guruís would know for sure.. Thanks In advance..
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:49 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
If you hit a mark before the start you need to do a turn.

31 TOUCHING A MARK
While racing, a boat shall not touch a starting mark before starting, a mark that begins, bounds or ends the leg of the course on which she is sailing, or a finishing mark after finishing.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
ahhh Ok, so does that mean (since as mentioned, we we not starting)
that since it's not clearly mentioned (below) you can hit a mark that is not part of the course (after the start) and if you do it's Ok to skip the peanalty turn.. Or not? sorry to be so dense here but it's not at all clear to me yet..and i have a bet on the outcome..

I'll take a look at rule 31 tho and perhaps I can sort it out.

Regards, JimS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
If you hit a mark before the start you need to do a turn.

31 TOUCHING A MARK
While racing, a boat shall not touch a starting mark before starting, a mark that begins, bounds or ends the leg of the course on which she is sailing, or a finishing mark after finishing.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:28 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Had the starting sequence started yet. If the sequence has started than you need to be sailing by the rules.

It may be under one minute in a two minute sequence, or 30 seconds in a one minute countdown before the rules all apply. I am not sure about that. I just assume it is after the sequence starts and that way I know I am safe.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:33 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Ted,
I guess stating we were all on a downwind run, and that we were not starting is not clear enough.. we had all rounded the windward mark, and were heading to the downwind mark.. this was all WELL AFTER the start..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Had the starting sequence started yet. If the sequence has started than you need to be sailing by the rules.

It may be under one minute in a two minute sequence, or 30 seconds in a one minute countdown before the rules all apply. I am not sure about that. I just assume it is after the sequence starts and that way I know I am safe.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I hit a marker buoy we tossed out to use as the starting line marker, but was on a downwind run, and I did a 360 penalty turn .. but my competitors both said it’s not required unless you are starting , and after that, that mark is just an obstruction .. BUT that doesn't seem right to me.. I’m not so sure, tried to find it in the racing rules but they are hard to interpret. .. seems like any time you hit a mark there should be a penalty shouldn’t there.. And I am assuming one of you IOM guru’s would know for sure.. Thanks In advance..
JimS
If the buoy was there for marking the start line only and nothing else then if you hit it after the race has begun you do not have to do a turn, your friends were correct.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:48 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by Ted Flack; Apr 04, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:18 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
You did not have to do a penalty because the mark you hit was not a mark of the course at the time you hit it.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:32 PM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
What he said!!
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:00 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Hey, all that helped me sort this out thanks a lot..!

I am going to assume that Rule 31 which Ted copied verbatim.. implies this indirectly because if it's not stated specifically.. I'm just used to taking the penalty as i hit a mark..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit View Post
You did not have to do a penalty because the mark you hit was not a mark of the course at the time you hit it.