SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
As someone looking into getting into club sailing here in Aus, I believe that an 'affordable' boat is exactly what is needed in the IOM class. I understand that there are countless designs out there that can be built, but some people may not like to build from scratch, or indeed even have the time too.

I think a decent club boat (that can be upgraded incrementally as budget allows) is a very sound idea. I posted ealier on here about the possibility of a company offering even a hull, keel, rudder and / or servo type package where the owner could then purchase the appropriate rigs / sails to complete it (or complete kit boat for that matter).

The IOM class appears to be the most widely sailed class here in Australia at most clubs. I still don't understand why the Aust radio yachting governing body doesn't look at selecting some form of sub $900.00 - $1000.00 boat for a one design or limited modification class (Not convinced of the MM, the smaller size could potentially turn many off I believe).

I'm personally waiting on some further information on the new 650 (and / or IACC-65) boats from Gospectre. They appear interesting with 3 distinct variations on the 650 version alone. They are also being designed to be carried de-rigged in a post-pack type tube. I just really like the idea of a decent performing boat (if they are indeed that and the quality is there) that can be easily transported in a 'tube', the ultimate take anywhere boat, if it pans out.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
The Robbe Windstar is a legal IOM class boat if ordered with the non-pigmented hull. It's an old design though. The Chinese are more into the Naviga classes, but substituting aluminium spars on the F4 class should give you an IOM. Gospectre's 650 class boats should conform to the RG65 class which is basically a half sized Marblehead.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Yippieeee!!!

Yippieee!
We have finally had our first meeting. It went very well. We hope to advance our club to new heights. Structure has been set up and tasks have been listed. Hopefully our growing fleet over time will mature and be an organization to be proud of. I am very happy with what we have accomplished in sitting down around a table and formulating together!!!! I have a question for you... How many boats is too many for a race. At what piont do we break up the fleet? I think I saw a course which had two leeward marks. What about 2 windward marks?? just asking..
We have 17 boats now with a few more comming.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Romano Ramirez; Mar 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: adding info
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
853 Posts
In my club we race on Fridays and Sundays for the Friday racing we always get between 15 to 19 skippers we race 10 races we usually have 4 off for the first 5 races then 3 off for the other 5 races the skippers off will judge tha racing. On Sundays we get about 8 to 15 we do the same amount of races but only 2 off we always have two race discards.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:16 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
I posted ealier on here about the possibility of a company offering even a hull, keel, rudder and / or servo type package where the owner could then purchase the appropriate rigs / sails to complete it (or complete kit boat for that matter).
RCSails.com is a possibility
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
[QUOTE=Merkava;17783121]As someone looking into getting into club sailing here in Aus, I believe that an 'affordable' boat is exactly what is needed in the IOM class. I understand that there are countless designs out there that can be built, but some people may not like to build from scratch, or indeed even have the time too.

I think a decent club boat (that can be upgraded incrementally as budget allows) is a very sound idea. I posted ealier on here about the possibility of a company offering even a hull, keel, rudder and / or servo type package where the owner could then purchase the appropriate rigs / sails to complete it (or complete kit boat for that matter).[QUOTE]

Merkava,
That is what I am trying to do, Good design, good fin and rudder and bulb cheap radio and wnch and 1 x rig. Will keep you informed.

Gregg,
RCsails (aka SIRI look him up on this forum) is a friend and we talk a lot, hope to sail with him when I get to Thailand to see my step mothers family one day.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
When Do you break up the fleet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
In my club we race on Fridays and Sundays for the Friday racing we always get between 15 to 19 skippers we race 10 races we usually have 4 off for the first 5 races then 3 off for the other 5 races the skippers off will judge tha racing. On Sundays we get about 8 to 15 we do the same amount of races but only 2 off we always have two race discards.
So the same 4 sailors judge 5 races or are the sailors rotating?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:42 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
So the same 4 sailors judge 5 races or are the sailors rotating?
no, in each race 4 different skippers are selected so everyone on the day has two races off.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:55 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
[QUOTE=Romano Ramirez; I have a question for you... How many boats is too many for a race. At what point do we break up the fleet? I think I saw a course which had two leeward marks. What about 2 windward marks?? just asking.[/QUOTE]

Romano, the maximum number of boats somewhat depends on your sailing site.
If you have an elevation from which to sail then up to 20 should be OK.
If you are down at water level then perhaps the size and shape of courses you set will make the difference. The limiting factor is always vision.
If you have even ten boats all arriving at the furthest mark where it is impossible to see which is which then you are asking for trouble.
If on the other hand you are blessed with a venue where skippers can walk the course and have close views of particularly the windward mark then the maximum number is almost unlimited.
At the NZL national IOM championships last weekend we had one fun race with 30 boats while we waited for the breeze to settle for the contest proper.
The max number set for the regatta fleet was 16 boats.

Two windward marks are always a good idea, as are two leeward marks.
They separate the upwind and downwind boats and so avoid silly collisions especially with novice skippers who have yet to learn the ROW rules.
Sail it as a box with start/finish lines between those marks at each end or set a separate line halfway up the beat.
Good luck.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:05 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
8387Mike,

Thanks.

I am aware of rcsails (siri(t)), and his various designs. I have looked at the Siri, Noux, Vanquish etc in both the IOM and RG65 class. I wouldn't mind a Noux or Siri in C/F for an RG-65.

I am unsure of the quality of his boats, strength wise etc as one fella on here Larrikin (or similar) seemed to have quite a few issues with his internal design from a strength point of view. I am all for things being built like a brick s#*thouse, even at the expense of weight to a degree. I like my stuff to last, be it tools, vehicles, firearms, whatever.

Mike, any idea on which design you are considering offering, I have noticed that one retail outlet in Australia is offering rcsails hull / decks / keels and fins. Are you thinking of offering one of the rcsails IOM's or another set-up?
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:30 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
853 Posts
here is a very reasonable priced IOM with very good club performance http://iom.azetone.se/ should not be too pricey if you buy an Eurgel winch for it.
Last edited by ToniGe23; Mar 26, 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:00 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
here is a very reasonable priced IOM with very good club performance http://iom.azetone.se/ should not be too pricey if you buy an Eurgel winch for it.
Used to sail the Azetone....very fast upwind and on the reach. Ploughs thru the waves like a destroyer. Sits low on the water so it does not carry the sail to the extreme wind range however downriging solves that problem. If you buy the kit then it is very affordable. Good choice of yacht for club level and above I must add.

Scully
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:22 AM
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Boom !!

Thanks Toni and Silly Old Fart!! hahaha. I'm always using that phrase.

I am building a new a rig. I am between 2 minds as to which main boom to use. The round light weight or the rectangle sailect. I have been using the round boom but micro adjusting the foot has put a sour taste in my mouth. I figure the rectangle boom allows for micro adjusting.
So the question is.... drum-roll please....
Does the heavier weight of the rectangle boom make much difference to light air sailing? low end of A rig ..

The ring that holds the sail foot I have to glue in place to keep from sliding. So when I want to adjust I have to break the joint with a screwdriver and reset.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:42 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
853 Posts
at the moment I'm using Sailsetc. booms for all my rigs but for my new boat will be using a very light weight jib boom for No1 sail still debating what to use on the main sail if you use the Sailsetc. rectangle boom you can use there micro adjuster I use them and there very good.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:36 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
Merkava,
Design will be out of UK yet to be decided, but will have David Creed Fin Bulb and rubber (CF of Course), will let you know.
Romano,
Go the Variant booms small thumb screws no need for carring an alan key and they weigh less and include all the fittings, no extra's (just to let everyone know I do have an interest in this product as I do sell them)

Regards
Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Last edited by 8387mike; Mar 26, 2011 at 08:41 AM.