Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:32 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
Romano,
The 720 rule that I talk about has been used in WA at nearly all ranking events for the last 2 and 1/2 years and was first introduced at the nationals which were held in Perth in 2009, it works well. Have a chat with your fellow competitors and see what they think before the start of racing
Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Does anyone know the results of the Ranking event at Woodspring in England last weekend?
Check out th evideos of the woodsprings meeting.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingg2855

Lots of short videos, just scroll down th epage and click on "See all".

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:39 PM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Video Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa View Post
Check out th evideos of the woodsprings meeting.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kingg2855

Lots of short videos, just scroll down th epage and click on "See all".

Brian
I looked at quite a few of your video clips. It is great to see fleet racing with good courses and officiating. I was wondering what is your focus for video footage. I see they are short. I found myself looking for the longer ones. I would be interested in seeing an entire race.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Romano,
The 720 rule that I talk about has been used in WA at nearly all ranking events for the last 2 and 1/2 years and was first introduced at the nationals which were held in Perth in 2009, it works well. Have a chat with your fellow competitors and see what they think before the start of racing
Mike
So mike does ARYA intend to modify their Sailing Instructions to reflect this new change.

I merely raise this as ISAF Rules are such that once referred inn a NOR they may only be changed by the Sailing Instructions.

Can you clarify how this should all be done correctly..

Just have to check the ARYA website for Standard Notice of Race & The SI's to see ARYA don't seem to accept this penalty.
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Mar 18, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Feb 2011
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickieM12 View Post
I've been shopping around for a transmitter cover and found a couple, but was wondering if anyone has a favorite one, or who may know of a great buy.
Check out our great Transmitter Covers & Boat Bags @

www.windwardrc.com

Windward RC is online now Find More Posts by Windward RC
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:03 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
I looked at quite a few of your video clips. It is great to see fleet racing with good courses and officiating. I was wondering what is your focus for video footage. I see they are short. I found myself looking for the longer ones. I would be interested in seeing an entire race.
They are not my video clips, I found them on the Anders Wallin website.

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:52 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
RTR IOMs

I would like to get peoples thoughts on the following.

RTR IOM with 1 x rig, radio, winch, for under AUS$1500 (US$1500 only because of the exchange rate) delivered to your door, just choose your colour.

Would there be a market for them, they wouldn't be top line boats and they wouldn't have top servos and radios but they would be comptitive at club level and could be upgraded.

It is something I am thinking of doing, but not sure on the market for it.

Please let me know your thoughts

Regards
Mike
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:38 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
852 Posts
Hi Mike,
I nice idea but I think if it was feasable the chinese would be on the band wagon by now. The hobby we are in is more of a cottage industry for model yacht builders the fashions go in and out within a couple of years so they have to keep up with it changing designs as soon as there hull loses fashion so to speak. To just make and sell a boat that is only good for club competitions I think would be a no hoper as soon as it does not win in some races the boat will be blamed not the skipper so interest in that boat could soon dwindle.
There are very good boats in the UK that can be purchased as a kit like the Widget and Lintal both top class boats that can be built from a kit for about 400 without rigs.
Also your location would not help being in Australia would mean a limited customer base in your own country then other than that you will have to ship abroad which is very costly with postage and import taxes etc. I know as I have just spent a day building boxes for my IOM Arrival to send to Australia the cost it not cheap.

Just some thoughts!

PS. you will shortly see my IOM Arrival on the racing circuit.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:

would be comptitive at club level..
This is One Thing I have always pondered about.

My recent trip to Queensland (Taxpayer Funded ) left me with a weekend to kill. I was offered a Loan Boat at a Local Club & had a few Races.. Bit rusty but did OK for Club Level..

Funny thing was there were 2 National Champions, 3 state Champs & a few very well known & considered good sailors in the fleet.

Mostly Good Humored yet quite competetive..

So my question is what is Club Level Sailing all about..

And how does one go about measuring this Often Used but Little understood concept.

waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
Actually I bought a chinese made IOM with servos and rig (Just add TX) for under $500 usd. Sails and rig were not good, but the finish on the rest of it was good, better than some of the other boats I have. Problem is you need to be able to order a container of them at a time to get that type of price. Even with a good rig and sails I am still well under $1000 usd with 3 rigs. It can be done, you just need to have a design that will be competitive enough that you can sell a lot of them.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:37 AM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Rtr iom

A sailor in our club has built his own IOM from scratch and has changed the hull many times. Together as we enjoy his enthusiasium and results, we now have data to what it takes to buld a boat. We did figure about the posibility of designing a hull for mass production. 500 boats can be made so much easier than 5 boats. Separate in a different thought.. I believe all the hull designs in our fleet are fast and can win on any given day. No hull is superior to another overall. just different characteristics. SO!! perhaps a production hull can work...
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Looking for the "terminator"
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,102 Posts
Tony,
Thanks for the input, the idea is not to mass produce more of an idea to get a ready to race boat to those that are just entering this addiction
The problem here is Aus is that to get a race ready boat built you are looking at $2k to $4k depending on the design.
As for shipping if the parcel can be keep under a 1.1m long it is cheaper than sending fully built rigs. My plan is 1 x built rig A or B but the mast will be a joined unit and if the customer wants to upgrade the can at their end.
I have been looking at some of the proposed costs and I my be able to get a RTR IOM to a customer any where in Aus for under $1000.

Re Arrival: That was a quick sale, that makes 2 that I know of here or soon to be here. I thought you loved that boat what happen did you cheat on it what are you sailing know?

Slotracer,
Where did you find this IOM? I have searched all the Chinese sites I can and cannot find an IOM anywhere. Can you post or PM me the link and details. Thanks.

Romano,
We have a few guys in the club that build there own designs, only last meeting did one of the guys beat the $4000 + top boats and best sailors in our club in one race, but needless to say he is one of them as well when he sails his Vapour, he enjoys building and designing as a past time.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:23 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Slotracer,
Where did you find this IOM? I have searched all the Chinese sites I can and cannot find an IOM anywhere. Can you post or PM me the link and details. Thanks...
These are the only ones that I have seen. Good price, but I do not know anything about quality or delivery. And they do not sell IOM rigs.

http://rcsails.com/cart/index.php?cP...34a79e8d845745

I used to put Carbon/Kevlar Marbleheads together for ~$500. The hulls and fins were relatively cheap to make. It was the $100 for a carbon mast, $125 for sails and $125 for a winch that would drive up the price.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
RcSails is a Thailandese manufacturer of very nice boats and is well known.

I'm also interested to have information about this Chinese (not Thailandese) "IOM".
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:30 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
RcSails is a Thailandese manufacturer of very nice boats and is well known.

I'm also interested to have information about this Chinese (not Thailandese) "IOM".
I stand corrected.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28