View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:54 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
I can back up Larry's comments too. I have seen widely different designs, side by side, sailing upwind, and there is virtually no difference in boat speed. There is no design that will "walk away" from the others. If the sails are trimmed "correctly", and being off a turn on the vang, or a few mm on the jib trim, or a few mm on the outhaul, WILL make a difference, the boat will be competitive. Get a start at the favored end, on time, with boat speed. Then hit the first shift, and you will be near the top of the pack!

That being said, I like to build boats! So I will be building my third and maybe fourth too, this winter. I have Brad Gibson's plans for a Reggae, so I may start on it soon.
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2009, 02:56 AM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
yers Hew i will be starting my soon too. The Reggae that is. Once i have finished the Emo which will be done once i figure out this electrical problem i will be starting the Reggae
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:41 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Larry,
Your back where you been mate? any way who cares mate you say you have been racing about time where and how have you been going?
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:28 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Larry,
Your back where you been mate? any way who cares mate you say you have been racing about time where and how have you been going?
Mike --- I blame you .

You said a while back I should get out there. I met a guy who was buying one of my boats to race. Invited me to sail at his club which sounded good. Over 20 IOMs racing every Saturday morning plus Solings or allsorts alternate weekends in the afternoon. I had to build myself an IOM and that was the hard part. Now after 2 months I finally have a boat that behaves.
First time out boat hull was porous. Second time had experimental rigging with elastic tensioner. Failure. Now have new servos fitted (bought in WA ) but 10 days to deliver here to Sydney.

I am also just starting my second IOM build. Already have a Hitec drum winch for this boat ($45 or RMG for $260).

Mike --- do you have sheeting details for a Hitec drum winch? Want to mount thru deck in cockpit. Not sure if this can be done with a Hitec drum winch. I have an RMG 380EH mounted thru the deck in my AU Class boat. RMGs have a longer spindle. Also Hitec drum turns ??? with a Spektrum DX5e. Instructions say maybe 4 or 6 . Haven't tested yet as I just started glassing new boat today.

And does anyone have photos of a Maximuss IOM sailing? Yes Trakka that means you . I have the free plans but want more info before building.

Larry L.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:35 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Larry,
I will try to take some photos of my hitec winch setup, but mine is mounted infront of the mast.

Mike
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:13 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Larry,
I will try to take some photos of my hitec winch setup, but mine is mounted infront of the mast.

Mike
Mike -- that would be great . Also details of where you mounted your pulley blocks. Pics . Worried about my Spektrum DX5e and Hitec drum having too much travel in lines. Hard to test distance with no boat. Mounting in front of mast would be much easier I suppose.

Hew 565 --- I seem to recall you had some great photos of one of your IOMs sheeting details. Is there a link or repost?

Tanx

Larry.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
78 Posts
Telltales

Can anyone give me some advise where telltales are attached to your sails. I have a A and B suit of sails I am rigging. In looking at IOM pictures and regattas, the telltale locations vary from boat to boat. Some boats sailed by the top skippers have no telltales.

Thank youhttp://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:00 PM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
What is the length of your arm hew for the sail servo and what servo are you using???
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:07 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew565 View Post
Larry, let me know if you need other photos.

The elastic runs like it does so that it never really pulls on the servo arm, but loosens as the arm moves. It could be a solid line if everything was positioned perfectly!
Really, its an adaption of the tension link in a continuous loop as would be used on a drum, but applied to an arm to keep the running rigging tidy in light airs.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
I use a Hitec HS7950TH servo and the arm is 3" from center of rotation to center of the block.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
A friend's year-long blog about his Vektor build:

http://iombuild.blogspot.com/

He has never built anything, and for a while was banned from using power tools anywhere near a model boat, but he has progressed nicely!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:54 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Hew 565,

Yes those are the photos I remember -- thanks .
One point not too clear. The solid line going thru the bulkhead to the stern block. Is that just tied to the end of the sail arm? I'd have thought that line would go through a double block on the end of the arm to a tie off point somewhere on the hull. Can't tell from photo.
Plus -- I count six pulley blocks. At my prices (between $17 and $22 per block) that would cost me more than I spent on the whole boat build .

Cheers
Larry L.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:16 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Larry,
Attached is a photo of the set up I have, there are only 2 blocks, even though there are 3 in the photo the 3rd one which is for the jib rope can be replaced with a loop. The winch is mounted sideways just behind the bulkhead.
Hope this helps

Mike AUS669
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:23 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Larry, yes there is a double block on the sailarm. The maisheet gos around the block and back to a dead end at the bulkhead near the fairlead.

You could do without some of the pulleys that I run the elastic through, and maybe the block at the shroud for the jib sheet.