HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2009, 02:34 AM
Joined Mar 2007
25 Posts
Idea
iMAX Duo B6

Please comment.

Specification:

Duo Output: 200 Watts X 2 (total: 400 Watts)
LiPo/LiFe/LiIon Cell Count: 6
NiMH/MiCd : 18
Charging Current: up to 10A X2
Discharge Current: 5A X 2(total: 50 Watts)

USB Power Charger: 5V , 1000mA (for your mobile phone, iPod, iPhone, etc)
PC LINK

Capacitive touch key sensing system with dial input
SkyRC is offline Find More Posts by SkyRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2009, 02:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
* Neat presentation
* Potential for good cooling but case appears to be plastic so where is the heatsink for the FETs ?
* Hope the fans are thermally controlled to limit noise when the charger is not working hard
* Cannot comment on usability of the "keyboard" panel without trying it for real
* Would like to see flash card socket for data logging and firmware upgrade (I see it has a USB port which is good, but flashcard would be better IMO)
* 200W/port is a reasonable power level in today's context with multi-C_rate charge capable lipos. Only gets you 8.5A for 6S lipo so 250W would be nice to get all the way to the 10A limit for 6S.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:53 AM
Joined May 2009
505 Posts
This is something I can call a "design", nothing looks similar so far, COOL job.

* Can we run the two channels in parallel? you know hobbiests are power hungry especially we boaters running packs as big as 4X 6S5Ah in parallel.

* Is it operable up to 28V input? that is a must for this power levlel.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Assuming 80% efficiency, 400W output requires 500W input. It would be ideal if it could sustain the full rated output from a 13.8V supply but since that would imply an input current of around 36A that seems unlikely. My 350W output iC208B is one of the most efficient chargers on the market (over 92%) and even it requires at least 18V at the input to deliver full 350W output. For hobby chargers it is usually too expensive to rate the input stage for more than 25A maximum so that implies needing at least 20V to deliver the full 400W output.

Since delivering over 400W output is likely to need at least 20V input, I agree that it makes a lot of sense to allow for up to 28V input. Power supplies in the 24-28V range are easier to find than those in the 16V-23V range plus it allows field charging from a pair of Pb batteries in series.

It is worth learning from the Junsi iCharger manuals and including a graph to show the maximum output power available for the full range of input voltages.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 01:40 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Yes, a very unique and interesting departure in design.

I like the front terminals, large pass-through cooling fan, and capacitive screen (if user friendly).

The green color...well, I'm sure it will have its' fans, but I'd like to see something a little more subdued.

And as others have mentioned, what is the input voltage range? Are user updates possible to firmware? And is there a full manual available?

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
In broad terms the design looks to me to be a bit of a blend of the layout of the Hyperion DUO and the form of the Schulze NEXT chargers but is an evolution of some of those concepts into a sleek and very modern style. Congratulations to the industrial design team for taking a risk in departing from convention and coming up with something new and attractive that looks like a 21st century product.

I like bright colours so the green suits me
Old Dec 09, 2009, 05:04 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Agreed, seems a good mash-up of the Schulze NEXT line, the Duo, and and an iPod touch.

Plus, I'm a sucker for jog-shuttle wheels, if it has some form of haptic feedback.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:00 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Well its capacitive so I imagine the only feedback will be visual/audible.

Some key factors for success will be:

* Living up to the specifications
* Build quality and reliability

The original Imax charges were low quality, I am hoping this initiative is evidence of the company maturing and hence that this new product will be not only sexy looking but well designed, well made, well tested and well supported. Time will tell
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2009
505 Posts
Imax, if I were you I will give the new product a new name, better as sexy as it looks.

The B6 is an alter name of CLONE, and it has some negative reputation on quality too. Why not say bye bye to the old days and have a brand new leap forward.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:04 AM
Joined Mar 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
* Neat presentation
* Potential for good cooling but case appears to be plastic so where is the heatsink for the FETs ?
* Hope the fans are thermally controlled to limit noise when the charger is not working hard
* Cannot comment on usability of the "keyboard" panel without trying it for real
* Would like to see flash card socket for data logging and firmware upgrade (I see it has a USB port which is good, but flashcard would be better IMO)
* 200W/port is a reasonable power level in today's context with multi-C_rate charge capable lipos. Only gets you 8.5A for 6S lipo so 250W would be nice to get all the way to the 10A limit for 6S.
Yes, it's a plastic case (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene).

Please refer attached picture for the location of heat sink. The picture show here is not B6 Duo. It's our B6 Ultimate, 200Watts charger.

The fans are thermal controlled.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:09 AM
Joined Mar 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
This is something I can call a "design", nothing looks similar so far, COOL job.

* Can we run the two channels in parallel? you know hobbiests are power hungry especially we boaters running packs as big as 4X 6S5Ah in parallel.

* Is it operable up to 28V input? that is a must for this power levlel.
You can run two channels in parallel.

The DC input voltage is 11-18V.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:16 AM
Joined Mar 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Assuming 80% efficiency, 400W output requires 500W input. It would be ideal if it could sustain the full rated output from a 13.8V supply but since that would imply an input current of around 36A that seems unlikely. My 350W output iC208B is one of the most efficient chargers on the market (over 92%) and even it requires at least 18V at the input to deliver full 350W output. For hobby chargers it is usually too expensive to rate the input stage for more than 25A maximum so that implies needing at least 20V to deliver the full 400W output.

Since delivering over 400W output is likely to need at least 20V input, I agree that it makes a lot of sense to allow for up to 28V input. Power supplies in the 24-28V range are easier to find than those in the 16V-23V range plus it allows field charging from a pair of Pb batteries in series.

It is worth learning from the Junsi iCharger manuals and including a graph to show the maximum output power available for the full range of input voltages.
Why 200 Watts X 2?

We supply 500Watts power supply which is perfect match for this charger.

Specification:
30A Continuous, Voltage: 6-18 DC Adjustable
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:25 AM
Joined Mar 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Well its capacitive so I imagine the only feedback will be visual/audible.

Some key factors for success will be:

* Living up to the specifications
* Build quality and reliability

The original Imax charges were low quality, I am hoping this initiative is evidence of the company maturing and hence that this new product will be not only sexy looking but well designed, well made, well tested and well supported. Time will tell
"Pursuit of Quality" is our company's philosopy. We are making quality products with affortable price.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:26 PM
Indiana
Joined Jul 2003
1,064 Posts
How much are you getting for these power supplies? I looked around your website a little and didn't see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRC View Post
Why 200 Watts X 2?

Specification:
icrashrc is offline Find More Posts by icrashrc
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Thank you for the photo of the heatsink, I can see how the design is intended to work with the cross flow. Is there just one fan at one end of the barrel or are the push-pull fans with one at each end, one sucking cool air in and the other blowing warm air out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRC View Post
Why 200 Watts X 2?
I understood this charger to be two channels at up to 200W each. Hence total output power of 400W. Is that not correct ?

Quote:

Specification:
So this charger will deliver 200W output on both channels simultaneously when supplied at 18V ? What is the achievable output power when supplied at 12V, 13.8V and 15V ? I recommend providing this information in the manual so that it is clear to users what they can expect. AFAIK Junsi (iCharger) is the only manufacturer that currently provides this information.

Will this charger have an input supply protection feature where the user can enter a limit on the current to be drawn from the supply ?