HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:53 PM
INDEPENDENTLY POOR in OHIO
Joined Dec 2001
1,030 Posts
Discussion
Wires, wires & more wires

I know I should call this a rant

I just finished a 20 inch foamy bipe using a 6 channel AR6300 with all four digital servos set up for flaperons

Why is it??-- the planes have got smaller and the radios are really micro,---But the WIRES are still 5 or 6 inches long on every component!

There's no place to hide them on a profile and you wind up with a rat's nest in a built up model

Any one have any good solutions short of cutting and spliceing to a shorter length, or more drastic, soldering shorter, lighter wires to the PCB's

Probably void the warranty!

Mabe if each component had it's own plug or jack then we could use the proper length of wireing to fit the application and make for a neater radio installation

What do you think?

Roger aka GIFLYRC
GIFLYRC is offline Find More Posts by GIFLYRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:56 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I think we need bluetooth servos.

Sad to say, you would then have to charge each servo independently!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 08, 2009, 11:25 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
An induction charger would solve that
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:19 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIFLYRC View Post
Any one have any good solutions short of cutting and spliceing to a shorter length, or more drastic, soldering shorter, lighter wires to the PCB's
There's always black magic.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:13 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIFLYRC View Post
I just finished a 20 inch foamy bipe using a 6 channel AR6300 with all four digital servos set up for flaperons

Roger aka GIFLYRC
Roger,

What servos are you using? I guess I havent paid attention, but I wasnt aware of a digital sized for such a small bipe.

thanks,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,030 Posts
David,
They are Spectrum DSP60 6 Gram programmable digital servo that came with my ar6300 nanoflight pack from Horizon

$16.99 FOR ONE OR 10 FOR $99.99

Here's a couple pics---tried to maiden indoors last Sunday but had LG problems and did not want to risk hand launch

Roger aka GIFLYRC
Last edited by GIFLYRC; Dec 09, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:58 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Here's a way to tidy up the wiring on a profile plane.

1. Twist the wires from each servo a number of turns (the longer the distance from the servo to the Rx, the more turns - you'll get the feel as you go). This will make the servo leads want to coil up like a garden hose - but on a miniature scale.
2. Now coil up the servo lead and plug the connector into the Rx.
2. Thread some carpet thread onto a large sewing needle. Make a half-knot and cut off the rest.
3. Now, from the opposite side of the fuselage, run the needle through the foam, captivate the coil and back through the foam again.
4. Tie the thread.

You may want to do another tie diametrically opposite for the neatest look. Repeat for each servo, the motor and the ESC.

The beauty of this approach is that without glueing or tape, you merely cut the thread with a No. 11 or small scissors to make changes.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Dec 10, 2009, 08:14 AM
Joined Dec 2001
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
Here's a way to tidy up the wiring on a profile plane.

1. Twist the wires from each servo a number of turns (the longer the distance from the servo to the Rx, the more turns - you'll get the feel as you go). This will make the servo leads want to coil up like a garden hose - but on a miniature scale.
2. Now coil up the servo lead and plug the connector into the Rx.
2. Thread some carpet thread onto a large sewing needle. Make a half-knot and cut off the rest.
3. Now, from the opposite side of the fuselage, run the needle through the foam, captivate the coil and back through the foam again.
4. Tie the thread.

You may want to do another tie diametrically opposite for the neatest look. Repeat for each servo, the motor and the ESC.

The beauty of this approach is that without glueing or tape, you merely cut the thread with a No. 11 or small scissors to make changes.
I really like that idea and appreciate you taking the time to post it!
I was going to cut a slot in the 45* angle brace and tuck the wires in there
Actually, I will do both

Roger aka GIFLYRC