HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:33 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Started to do a little finishing work, painted the stripe on the strut covers and wheel liners. I will start on the retractable tailwheel this week! I was hoping to order this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJZD8&P=7 but of course its out of stock. I think it will work with a slight bend in the wire it should retract and clear the cylinder. I will cut the hatch and make doors and figure out a catch to close them to keep it simple!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Last edited by mpope1; Feb 14, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Painted the spinner today, looks great but I will see if makes issues worse. For a $50 spinner I wasn't to worried about painting it!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:55 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,815 Posts
looking good mike!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:13 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Ran the motor up with the painted spinner, no issues same weird resonance I was getting before. After taxiing around I noticed my canopy was cracked. I think it was from laying it in my suv upside down and probably cracked it and never noticed it from the last flight. Dont think its from vibration. The only complaint about the esm arfs is the plastic is cheesy, canopy is super flimsy and very easy to crack, no where near as tuff as the H9 plastic. I had to clear tape it from the inside to keep it from spreading they are out of stock on replacements!
Last edited by mpope1; Feb 15, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Got another flight in today, and I am amazed at how well this plane flies at 16 1/2 lbs. Probably my best flying warbird yet. The performance of the hacker A60-16M is perfect, very scale and with such a low current draw I will be getting nice long flights. Touchdown with partial flaps deployed works great, slows nicely on landings. I will try to get some video soon! Flew for maybe 4 1/2 minutes and probably only used 1500 mah's out of 5000! I was gonna put a 19x12 prop on for more high end but now I wont change a thing, 18x10 is perfect!!!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Started to do paint touch ups on the exhaust and guns. This finish is hard to get clean, while working on it with greasy hands I have lots of smudges especially on the vertical where I pick it up to push it along. Kinda of gives it a grungy look but probably more realistic!
Last edited by mpope1; Feb 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:16 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Had an issue with one flap becoming dislodged from the wing. I had read a post about the hinges only being held on by the sheeting. Thats correct, I thought I had glued mine where this wouldn't happen, but I noticed after my flight today while swapping batteries it was out of the wing slightly. I will fix it and pin both sides, otherwise had a great flight!!!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:56 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,815 Posts
yieks....thats not cool! glad you caught that on the ground instead of while flying....aka...massive flutter! even so you would have probably been able to land it without a flap....as long as it wasnt hanging from the wing...or if the other flap was stuck down! ;p
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
I pinned all the hinges and its pretty solid now. I knew there were issues with this plane from following a build in the fuel warbirds. There isnt any structure that the hinges slide into. Just sheeting, which is thin ply, but some of the precut slots are not inline, so the hinges never bond to the sheeting. I thought I would have gotten away with it, made sure they were glued well, but I had a bouncy landing which is what I think rattled it loose. I have seen other planes have rough landings and ailerons pop out, freaky.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:58 AM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,833 Posts
I had an aileron pop out on a "factory installed hinges" ARF plane. I have automatically pinned all hinges ever since. It's so easy, takes little time, and is cheap!

Looking better all the time Mike!

Cheers,

Jim
jimflys1 is offline Find More Posts by jimflys1
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:30 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Hi Mike,

GREAT LOOKING PLANE ......I'm a ESM fan too. Glade to hear it flys light , what was the AUW? My CMP 109 wound up about 14pds , pretty heavy for a 72 in bird. But as you mentioned it flys light too.

I have the ESM "B" BALD EAGLE waiting for its turn, but I got a head start , and have already got my landing gear set up and working.

I'm going to use the ESM/ lado conversion in mine. like I said , I already done the conversion . Just need to install them when I'm ready to build. They are so cool to watch.

ESM STRUTS+ lado power+ Robart P-51 wheels. Drops right in the stock wheel well
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Mar 04, 2010, 08:44 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Nice job getting the struts to fit with the lado's, I heard some bad things about the esm retracts but mine are fine. My AUW is 16.5 lbs. with 10s 5000 mah's packs. I am very impressed with how well it flies and lands, I was weary of the weight but its not much of an issue. Been trying to get some video, maybe Sat., its been unusually rainy here so its been a struggle.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:00 AM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Yes ...the struts are the best stock ones yet from ESM. You had to own the first few series planes with their HORRIBLE undercarriages to fully appreciate the latest stuff. HAA!!!! LoL

I have also bought the Mustang "B" SPinner for my plane. Its a "ZINGER " ALum 4 blade unit. I'll be using a 18" four blade ZINGER . I 'm using this same setup w/ EFLITE POWER 160 on my H9 80" Mustang. @ 16.5pds . So I know the incredible power and torque this setup produces. The plane "JUMPS" or tears forward from the pull of four blades. The ESM Mustang will look even more scale and probally be faster than the H9 FRANKIE . SHe will do 99mph. on 10S . I Expect this setup to push the ESM well over 100mph on 10S........but I usually fly 9S with my 72" WARBIRDS. But since I will have NO retract can , I may go with 10 S...... make it one bad *itch.

The FOur blade power is addictive on a Mustang. Only issue I've had is "GAS MILEAGE" , it is like driving a BB 454 Chevy , the 5000BAtt are drained REALLY REALLY fast. I usually limit my time with 2X 5 minute flights , the second one is conservative . But , packs are cheaper now thnaks to hobby city and you can buy extra go juice.
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:29 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher View Post
Yes ...the struts are the best stock ones yet from ESM. You had to own the first few series planes with their HORRIBLE undercarriages to fully appreciate the latest stuff. HAA!!!! LoL

I have also bought the Mustang "B" SPinner for my plane. Its a "ZINGER " ALum 4 blade unit. I'll be using a 18" four blade ZINGER . I 'm using this same setup w/ EFLITE POWER 160 on my H9 80" Mustang. @ 16.5pds . So I know the incredible power and torque this setup produces. The plane "JUMPS" or tears forward from the pull of four blades. The ESM Mustang will look even more scale and probally be faster than the H9 FRANKIE . SHe will do 99mph. on 10S . I Expect this setup to push the ESM well over 100mph on 10S........but I usually fly 9S with my 72" WARBIRDS. But since I will have NO retract can , I may go with 10 S...... make it one bad *itch.

The FOur blade power is addictive on a Mustang. Only issue I've had is "GAS MILEAGE" , it is like driving a BB 454 Chevy , the 5000BAtt are drained REALLY REALLY fast. I usually limit my time with 2X 5 minute flights , the second one is conservative . But , packs are cheaper now thnaks to hobby city and you can buy extra go juice.
Yeah I know what that four blade pull feels like, I had the h9 miss america p-51 (60 sized) with a 4 bladed apc 15.5x12 on 8s. It really ripped, I want to go the zinger route but there is no rush. I can always switch over, I have to many funds tied up in a jet project. At the Az electric fest we clocked my h9 giant p-47 at 99 mph's, I was kinda of shocked. I never would have guessed it was going that fast. The bigger the slower they seem, but they are faster then you think!!!
Old Mar 05, 2010, 03:17 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Had 3 more flights today, got a lot of nice compliments on the sound. Maybe get some video tomorrow morning, even had a fly by at the field from a fullscale p-51. Flap hinges were fine!
Last edited by mpope1; Mar 05, 2010 at 04:53 PM.