SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:58 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Did some taxi testing today, both wheels locked up on the axles. I don't know why, but I greased them both and they seem fine now. Very weird, the wheel is held on by a lock nut rather then a wheel collar which is fine. There is a spacer on the strut side. Very simple, one locked up so bad I almost couldn't get it off. There was a bur on the axle, from what I dont know. I took the wheel apart, and only one side of the hub has the axle insert. I sanded the axle a little and greased them and added a washer and they are fine now. Tonight I may try to shim the retracts, they are 90 degree retracts, so the struts point outwards to much for a mustang. I may be able to use a couple of washers to shim them and still be able to get the gear to lock in the wheel liners when retracted. I think a mustang needs 85 degrees. Was hoping to get my spinner tonight, not gonna happen probably Wed.
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:36 AM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
I am watching your posts with great anticipation. So far I have the wings completed, and joined together..but the dowels are not drilled yet where it meets the fuse. The rudder and elevator are in place, and the elevator is now set up with the pull-pull in place. I don't like it, but I will try it. The rudder setup is for tomorrow night. I have a spinner from Maxx, which was very economical and looks awesome.

Also, I am pretty thoroughly convinced that my YS 1.20 will not be enough. This airplane is a brick, and I have not seen a video of anyone flying one yet, though the box shows a 1.20. Either way, I am SURE that I need something like a 1.80 4-stroke on it.

My wife picked up the wing and she said... wow this is heavy. It really hit home that she would notice it on her own.

I wonder if the Evolution 26GX gas (equivalent to a 1.60 2-stroke glow) would do well on it... just thinking out loud.

Wish I lived in Phoenix still so I could check out your bird. Glad to hear you are nearing flight. I want to hear all about it!
viper69 is offline Find More Posts by viper69
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:49 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
i weighed mine completed last night, its 16.4 lbs. It is real heavy. I am having problems with my spinner vibrating. In the past I have doubled up the rails of my motor mount and that has cured the problem. Its a Dave Brown spinner, but I usually use tru-turn and have them lighten the backplate. This one has the solid backplate which I need to get the balance right. With the Az electric fest this week I probably won't work on it anymore, so next week I will try to sort it out.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,838 Posts
ive had pretty good uck with 3.5 and 4" DB spinners. just keep running and rotating the assembly till you find the sweet spot. anoying, but nessisary.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Brent, are you using the DB spinners with the solid backplate? If so do you balance it all?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:01 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,838 Posts
never drilled it out or balanced. was a bit tricky on my geared spit setup, but went well with the outrunner in my 51. the running with just the backplate it runs super smooth. only when it comes to the cone to it get tricky to run right.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:49 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Have had the same issues, I am gonna double up the mount to start!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:36 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Managed to get a trim flight at the AEF today, Flew real nice and felt light even though its a porker. Wasn't crazy about my flap to elevator mix so I opted to land without flaps and it wasn't that bad. Slowed down fine, had a little bounce to it but I will adjust my flap issue. I flew it w/o the spinner cone, it needs some balancing. The A60-16m has plenty of power, most of the time I was at half throttle!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:49 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,889 Posts
Nice Mike! Glad to hear it flew well and wasn't a tank. Your plane isn't far from my P-47 which I'm guessing is only 17lbs. I guess I'm barely warming up my A60-14L at 2100watts.
I really like their Corsair but the weight makes me hesitant, I guess it isn't too bad after all.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:49 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,192 Posts
Mike,
The Mistang looked great flying around the pattern today.
Did you ever find out who authorized the hand launch of your F-5?

Victor
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:53 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Yeah I know I have the H9 big p-47 and they feel very close in weight. Scarey for a 12" difference in wingspan. I though it felt funny on my approach, like the rudder wasn't moving the plane side to side. When I tried to taxi back I had no rudder(and tail wheel control). I thought the pullpull slipped, When I checked it out it turned out that the servo arm wasn't screwed down completely, I tightend the pull pull the other day and probably never srewed it back all the way(stupid), just glad it wasn't the elevator servo arm
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 31, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:54 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
Mike,
The Mistang looked great flying around the pattern today.
Did you ever find out who authorized the hand launch of your F-5?

Victor
Someone got a great pix of that, my head was spinning from the maiden, when I looked over it didn't even register that it was my f-5. What a great weekend, I was glad to get one of the planes I was working on in the air! Also was a little rattled having to fly the p-38 with an engine out, and Varleys dueces wild with a smoking esc, which did look kinda nice in the air. I am glad it came down saflely~!
Last edited by mpope1; Feb 01, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:53 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Well I have given up on the Dave Brown spinner, gonna get a tru turn with the light backplate. If that doesn't work I am gonna have Mike at Hacker check the shaft!
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Please tell me they were pulling your chain on the F-5!!!!!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:10 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Yeah, while I was flying the p-51 they were able to get their hands on it w/o me noticing!