Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:26 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Started working on the tailwheel doors today. The plastic wheelcollar assembly finally snapped on a landing today. It was never easy to control on the ground and rudder throw was limited due to the wire rod from the rudder back to the tailwheel. I am gonna use the horizon electric nose wheel retract http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG111 Should be a simple set up, I will have it retract foward and run a pull pull off the rudder servo. I started to hinge the doors, will either use spring loaded hinges or make up my wire spring so the doors remain open when the wheel is down. I will use a wire attached to the doors that the wheel will grab for them to close..Mine are a little larger then scale, I can always cut them if I had to...bigger in the air is always better visually!!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Last edited by mpope1; Sep 14, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:47 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
very cool conversion mike!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:44 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
SO...bad news. The ESM retracts I got in the mail today have some pretty bad air leaks......to the point the system cant hold air at all and cant even get one cycle. I can hear it hiss out of one of the cylinders. I will try to put some silicone around the seems on the cylinder and air nipple. If that fails...well..then I probably have to send them off to that one place that converts them to electric.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:50 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
SO...bad news. The ESM retracts I got in the mail today have some pretty bad air leaks......to the point the system cant hold air at all and cant even get one cycle. I can hear it hiss out of one of the cylinders. I will try to put some silicone around the seems on the cylinder and air nipple. If that fails...well..then I probably have to send them off to that one place that converts them to electric.
Just return them & get Lado's. They'll hold up on a bird this size....

Or, as you said, you could send them to Down & Locked or Magnum RC for an E-conversion...
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Mine leaked real bad from the nipple, I used robarts retainers that screw on over the nipple after you connect the airline. They hold air perfectly..haven't had any issues with them. Mine were hissing also, took me a while to pin point where it was coming from.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
Just return them & get Lado's. They'll hold up on a bird this size....

Or, as you said, you could send them to Down & Locked or Magnum RC for an E-conversion...
Chad this plane is heavy, probably heavier then your p-40! BTW your l-39 looks sweet!!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:56 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Ive got some of those retainers....Ill put some on and check.

I recently bought a set of those e-flite 60-1.20 electric retracts and put them in my graupner fw-190 d9. Man they work great, but they arent setup using oleos....merely a thick wire strut.
I wish they had made them to accomodate a robostrut instead as I would simply use those.

Since I now have the ESM retracts for this plane...unless Thomas simply tells me to send them back, I try and do a few tricks to stop the air leaks. I kinda need some form of gear on this plane for next weeks warbird over the rockies....os sending them back would leave me without the capability to even have the plane in flyable condition(even gear down)
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:22 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I just picked up a set of those electric retracts also, gonna put them in a byron mig-15. They look nice, you can cut the wire and still use oleos. They make a insert that slips in the oleo's to accept different size wire. You just have to tap them to add grub screws so they dont spin. Did a big conversion on a nitroplanes p-38 a while back and used spring air retracts with robart struts..I think? it was a while back! I have to give Thomas a call, I need to get a new canopy for my mustang, its got a nasty crack in it. This plane is built like a tank, but the plastic parts are so thin and cheap. The canopy is way to thin. Hangar 9's canopies are so much stronger!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:29 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Chad you had asked me where I ordered the spring loaded hinged from http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=385 I think I ordered the wrong ones, I will probably have to send them back!
Last edited by mpope1; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:19 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Mpope1...yea i know I could cut the wire strut on the eflite electric retracts and use oleos with the insert thing. Its just something I dont like doing.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:14 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I prefer the robostrut ready retracts also!!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1 View Post
I prefer the robostrut ready retracts also!!
Lado has a new larger unit coming out soon that accepts the entire strut....

Not sure if it would even fit in this Mustang though....

http://www.lado-tech.net/products.php?cat=37
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:44 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I came up with a wire spring instead of spring hinges. Works great and are easy to adjust. I really dont need to glue the wire to the door, cause I want to be able to remove them. I will tie the mounts for the retracts into the rear former, and also the aluminum spar for the horizontal stabilizer. Should be real solid. Will have to make a wire to catch the strut for them to close, and also keep them from opening to wide. Should finish it up over the weekend!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:12 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
ok bad news..... i cant for the life of me get any of the 4 robart air valves to hold air. And they dont leak out of the air line connections. All 4 of them leak out of the front and back portion of the housing where the metal cylinder valve moves forward or backwards to activate the sequence. Ive tried using the air line retainers on all the hose connection points, but like i said....thats not where ANY of them are leaking from.
Its not a slow leak either......you attempt to activate the gear and the retracts work, but then all the air whooshes out of the air valve and doesnt stop.....doesnt matter what direction the valve is moved......all 4 of them are doing this...as well as the ESM valve that came with the retracts I bought.

Ive never ever had a problem with a robart air valve before. And now 4 in a row? Something else must be going on here. It doesnt matter what psi the system is pressured up to....20 or 120 still same damn thing.
Im lost. Anyone got any ideas?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:19 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I would send them back, maybe you got an older version of the esm retracts. They had a bad rep for leaky seals, mine are the latest gen. and don't leak at all! Mine came in a nice case, I don't know if the older ones did..