Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2009, 09:10 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Discussion
Esm P-51D conversion

Well I have been waiting patiently for this to become available http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMP51D-71-F.html. Have the plane and retracts on the way, hopefully start the build thread in the next few weeks. Not sure of the power plant yet, probably a hacker a60 outrunner, I am leaning towards the A60-20M on 9-10s. Not sure yet until I get the plane in my hands to see on weight and cowl clearence. I have also been waiting for xoar props to unounce when their 4 bladed props are do out, I have e-mailed them for some info. I really like the paint scheme, other then the 4 bladed prop I would like to fit it with a retractable tailwheel. Other then that it seems it should be a stright foward build. I will post some pix when I get the plane, the retracts are scheduled to arrive the end of this week, plane early next week..
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Last edited by mpope1; Dec 08, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Got my retracts set today, wow what a great deal. Everything included, struts look solid and retracts too. The wheels are beautiful, little heavy but at least they will be a scale size to the airframe. Plane is due on Monday, hope to get started on the wings next week sometime! Compared the retract unit to my robarts, alot more slop in the robarts..
Last edited by mpope1; Dec 11, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:18 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Great looking P 51. I'm sure you'll have a great time with it.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:02 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
sweeeeet mike!!!! im geleous!!!!! i want the esm corsair of course....but the 51 would be my second choice...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:05 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Almost got the bearcat, I sold my H9 miss america cause I really wanted a military mustang. These retracts and struts are nice and the wheels are unbelievable!!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Been doing some research on the zinger 4 bladed prop hub system, does anyone no if they are available, and where to purchase them?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:02 PM
Just Plane Crazy
United States, NY, McGraw
Joined Apr 2004
684 Posts
Mike:

I am sure your build thread will be great! I am looking forward to it.
Are you going to go with the D model or the B model?
From my experience, and from talking with Tom Hunt – if you go with a 4 blade prop, the only thing you should change is the ‘disk’ size and leave the pitch the same as a 2 blade prop. For instance if you would originally go with a 18 X 10 - 2 blade prop than your equivalent 4 blade would be a 17 X 10. Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to your thread.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
datazman is offline Find More Posts by datazman
Last edited by datazman; Dec 13, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datazman View Post
Mike:

From my experience, and from talking with Tom Hunt
Looking forward to your thread.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
More then a mouthful..... Prop Info here

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:29 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
very cool info tommy!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:10 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Very Good info, I want to have a prop that would be scale for the size of the plane. I was flying the hangar 9 60 sized mustang with a 15.5 x 12 4 blader and it was a little small in comparison to the size of the plane. One thing that is nice with electrics is that we can switch motor kv to taylor the size prop that we would want to spin. Since I dont have the plane yet, I am guessing around an 18" diameter should be close to scale for this size p-51(D model). Another factor is cell count, for a more realistic flight envelope 7s was a good match(Hacker A50-14L) but for all out speed 8s was real nice. It was the miss america version so I mostly flew on 8s except in the summer mos. to keep the motor/esc a little cooler. I actually have a 3 bladed tru-turn, and may start out with a 15 3/4 x 13 3 bladed apc just to get things dialed in and trimmed until I can figure out the 4 blade issue. I dont think the zingers are available, on towers website it says stock pending, was also waiting on xoar. The only other alternative are the solo prop systems but they are extremely expensive!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:28 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Received the plane today. Real nice quality, built like a tank. The wood is very strong, even the sheeting. Fiberglass is excellent, for a 71" w.s it seems pretty large, more scale then the hangar 9. I measured the cowl, it will need a 4 1/2" spinner(ouch!) I installed one retract, just about dropped right in with some minor dremeling. I will probably screw down the wheel well liners instead of glueing them. I want to make them easily removable incase I ever want to swap out the retracts. Gear doors will be screwed into a supplied block that mounts over the strut. I had to shim the lower one to make sure the wheel doesnt rub against it. Try to post more pix this weekend!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:27 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Nice Mike. I've been looking at the KMP kits and now the ESM's as they are much better priced for the same thing.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:56 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
I always used to go to kmps website and drool over the planes also, now they are more affordable and electric tech. has come along way so weight isnt as much of a problem anymore. I sold my H9 mustang and p-40, both were real old, to do this project! I heard that esm is gonna come out with a p-40 next year
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:53 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1 View Post
Received the plane today. Real nice quality, built like a tank. The wood is very strong, even the sheeting. Fiberglass is excellent, for a 71" w.s it seems pretty large, more scale then the hangar 9. I measured the cowl, it will need a 4 1/2" spinner(ouch!) I installed one retract, just about dropped right in with some minor dremeling. I will probably screw down the wheel well liners instead of glueing them. I want to make them easily removable incase I ever want to swap out the retracts. Gear doors will be screwed into a supplied block that mounts over the strut. I had to shim the lower one to make sure the wheel doesnt rub against it. Try to post more pix this weekend!
Mike I am putting a 4 blade zinger on the new hanger 9 mustang. They are avaialble from zingerpropellor.com---you need to call them. You would be looking at a 18-19X8-10 for scale size and performance.
For that why not look at the eflite power 160 on 10s, Coastwatcher another gent on here has great experience with zingers and has been coaching me.

Things I can tell you---they are nice, but expensive. The hub is very thick so make sure the prop adapter is long enough to accommodate spinner back plate and prop hub. Zinger makes the 4 blade spinners to go with your prop and they are nice.

Although close you will need to balance the prop.

Heres a pic of mine in place using the hanger 9 spinner.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero View Post
Mike I am putting a 4 blade zinger on the new hanger 9 mustang. They are avaialble from zingerpropellor.com---you need to call them. You would be looking at a 18-19X8-10 for scale size and performance.
For that why not look at the eflite power 160 on 10s, Coastwatcher another gent on here has great experience with zingers and has been coaching me.

Things I can tell you---they are nice, but expensive. The hub is very thick so make sure the prop adapter is long enough to accommodate spinner back plate and prop hub. Zinger makes the 4 blade spinners to go with your prop and they are nice.

Although close you will need to balance the prop.

Heres a pic of mine in place using the hanger 9 spinner.
Thanks for the info, I thought I was missing something on there website. Couldn't figure out pricing and how to order, I will give them a call. I like to use hacker motors because they are distributed out of Tempe,Az. Only a few miles from where I live, so they let me go down and p/u stuff when I need it. Mike Donovan is real helpful, sure he can help me witht the prop adapter. I like that they have 3 different kv's in each class to choose from to really taylor the power I want to get! Man those blades look great on your mustang, what size did you use. That is the 80" p-51?
Last edited by mpope1; Dec 15, 2009 at 09:15 PM.