HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 06, 2003, 11:19 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
3D Fan Fold Ultimate Bipe and 3DX

Well, I guess I'm going to start a new thread on my Fan Fold 3DX and Ultimate Biplane. These 2 airframes are going to be built together and I'll document the progress as it goes. Plans for both of these planes will be available for download as soon as I finish the drawings.

The 3DX is based on my 3Demon design (I'm changing the name because I don't really like 3Demon). The original 3Demon turned out OK, but wasn't quite as smooth as I wanted. I'm incorporating some of the changes in the Fan Fold design, then if all goes well, I'll do a bigger, built-up version too.

The first 3DX will be powered by a GWS EPS300-C "D" gearing, 12x8 prop, 8 cell 720NiMh. I just fried my SECOND 370 motor yesterday (don't ask...) so I'll have to wait till my replacement motor gets here to fly. Hopefully everything will be done and all I'll have to do is drop in the motor. If all else fails I have a "C" gearbox and motor.

I have a Hacker B20-15L 4:1 that I want to use too. So far I haven't been able to figure out a dual mounting system for both motor systems to be used in the same plane. If you guys have any ideas on that, let me know.

Never fear, the Ultimate will get the Hacker on 6 KAN 950s and a 11x4.7 APC SF prop. Mounting the Hacker is going to be a head scratcher too. I have a few ideas, so we'll see.

I have cut out all of the parts for the 3DX and started building it. I still need to draw a bit more on the Ultimate before I start making the templates. I expect I'll work on the plans a bit more tonight and get the parts cut out too.

Here is a pic of the 3DX so far.

Here are links to the plans:
http://www.jetworksmodels.com/plans/3DX-Plans.zip (tiled)
http://www.jetworksmodels.com/plans/3dxfinal.zip (36" sheet)
http://www.jetworksmodels.com/plans/ultimateplans.zip
http://www.jetworksmodels.com/plans/ultimate40inch.zip

Tim H.
Tim H. is online now Find More Posts by Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; Jun 13, 2003 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2003, 11:26 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Here is more of a planform view. Wingspan is 37" and length is 36". Wing area is 360"sq. Plenty of wing area for the planned wt. of 11oz.
Old May 06, 2003, 01:15 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Carbon rod is glued into wing at the CG. I cut a 1/8" wide channel in the foam, then used the end of the tube to gouge out the channel to fit the tube. The carbon tubes came from a local kite store and are .11"x30" tubes. I used 30 min epoxy, but if you are a fast worker and have everything ready to go when you mix the epoxy, 5 min. stuff will work too.

Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; Jun 05, 2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old May 06, 2003, 01:18 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
The same method was used for the fuse. spar except I used 5 min. epoxy. Worked fine but you have to work quickly. The black printing comes off the Fan Fold very easily with a little denatured alcohol on a paper towel.

Tim H.
Old May 06, 2003, 02:18 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim H.
... The black printing comes off the Fan Fold very easily with a little denatured alcohol on a paper towel.

Tim H.
Hey Tim

I didn't realize that your planes retained the F3 film. You've tried it without?
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old May 06, 2003, 02:23 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Thomas, I've found that for these profile planes, leaving the skin on significantly increases the strength of the foam. I've used it both ways on other planes. If I'm going to glass and WPU I take the skin off. For these, I just leave it on.

Tim H.
Old May 06, 2003, 02:57 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Motor mount was made from 3/8" square hardwood. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but it's fairly light hardwood.

Tim H.
Old May 06, 2003, 02:59 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Motor mount was grooved along the top side to fit the carbon rod. I carfully measured everything so the thrust angle would not get messed up (0,0 on proto) Then the motor cutout was made in the fuse.

Tim H.
Old May 06, 2003, 03:04 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Motor mount was epoxied to the carbon spar and the surrounding foam. I was very carefull to use just enough epoxy for what I needed. Weight of epoxy adds up fast.
Old May 06, 2003, 03:06 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Airframe so far...
Old May 06, 2003, 03:09 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
These are the paint pens I used for the colors. They are called "Permapaque" paint pens. I got them at the local Hobby Lobby Creative Center. They are not ink pens, but paint. They have a wide tip and a fine tip on each pen. They cover well, and dry fast. Best of all, I only added 1 gram to the wing after painting. These came in a pack of 4. I need to go back and see what other colors they come in. 4 colors doesn't cut it, but I didn't want to waste money if they didn't work out.

Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; May 06, 2003 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 06, 2003, 03:14 PM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
Tim,

Thats looking really cool, love the graphic.
I'm going to have to Draw one of these things up.

Are you going to give it any right thrust? or are you going to keep everything
at zero.

-John-
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old May 06, 2003, 03:43 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Everything will be zero zero for first flights. I can add right thrust to the mount as needed. All I need to do is sand a little off of the 3/8 square motor mount and increase it a bit at a time till it's right on.

Tim H.
Old May 06, 2003, 05:07 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Oct 2002
51 Posts
Another thread added to my subscription list!

Tim your 3DX is looks outstanding. Your graphics look good too, I'll have to give those pens a try.

I prefer the name 3DX over Demon any day. Sounds a lot more interesting and exciting. I really like the look of this plane. Keep up the good work!

Tim
Genesisyy is offline Find More Posts by Genesisyy
Old May 06, 2003, 05:09 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Yeah, Demon was too, uh... negative or something. Just never sounded right.

I'm working on the stab-elevators now.

Tim H.
Closed Thread