HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:20 PM
Tennessee
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
Discussion
CA, hot glue, or gorilla

I broke the front section off of a foam plane(just at the firewall). I was wondering about the strongest, most reliable glue. I've used foam safe CA. Its pretty good but not great and you have to hold it until it sets up. I like hot glue but dont know how well it would work here. (Heard its good). Never used Gorilla. I dont think epoxy would be good for foam on foam. Your opinions?
Thanks
cgage is offline Find More Posts by cgage
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,310 Posts
I like CA myself.. I use medium with a touch of kicker..just a touch though. I also like hot-melt..but I dont' know that I would use it in the application your asking about..to me it's more for "tacking" things..and it can be hot enough to melt the very foam your trying to glue...

Gorilla is a good glue also.. with incredible strength.. with that though, it also expands incredibly..and it does take several hours to dry...and for best results clamping or weighting the surfaces is recomended...which is probably tough to do for this application..

Whatever you use will probably be stronger then the foam surrounding your repair.. which is good.. out of the 3 glues mentioned the CA would be the best in my opinion..and a "little" kicker goes a long way.. what I've found the kicker does is heats up the area.. and too much can actually melt the foam too, via chemical/heat reaction.. but a very light mist of it does wonders, and actually sets nicely and still very rapidly.. without any distorion of your project.

I hope there's other sides to the story..theres always more then one way..more insight is always best too.. but the above is what I would do if I needed something for a similar application as you described.. theres even epoxy that I would consider... probably the 5min variety.. but I think the CA would beat that out also.. as its just as strong for foam, and weighs a bit less, and it's done in seconds.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:53 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,320 Posts
Just about any glue you use will be stronger than the foam, so I would use something that gives you time to position your pieces. I like 5 minute epoxy. A lot of people like Gorilla glue--you can add a drop of water and it will foam upso that you can use the extra ooze as a kind of sandable spackle.
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:27 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Polyurathane glues (GG, Sumo, others) are great but be very sparing with them. All PU glues will foam up. This makes them very useful for repairing broken foam as they will fill voids. Water is a great accelerator. The glue isn't brittle like CA so it moves with the foam. On the negative side, it's easy to use too much glue and you get foamy bubbles breaking out all over. You can control this to some extent by using masking tape but on some foamy ARFs, the paint likes to stick to the tape more than the foam. Also, sanding is problematic because the glue is harder than the foam and it's hard to get really smooth surfaces.

I use PU a lot but have a set of rules I follow:
- use a tiny tiny amount of PU. Take what you think is the right amount, cut it in half and you will still have too much. I generally spread it as thin as I possibly can. Think squeegee thin. On rough surfaces, use a disposable brush.
- give it expansion room (generally in some interior area)
- put glue on one surface, mist the adjoining surface with water to accelerate it.
- use tape, if you can, to force the expansion inward.
- baby-sit the joint. If there is pushout, you can scrape it off before it sets.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Dec 08, 2009, 06:37 AM
houston tx
Joined Aug 2007
420 Posts
.....IF.... you were to use hot melt...Don't use a regular hot melt glue gun. It will melt the heck out of most foams. You can buy a "dual-heat" gun. Use the lower temperature for foam. ( Don't ask me how I found this out!! Ha ha )

Many glue sticks that one purchases today are "dual-temp". That is, they will work with either temperature gun.

I've also read about, but have not tried it personally, a hobbyist who mounted a dimmer switch into a connection box with a receptacle. He uses the dimmer to diminish the voltage to his heat gun to give him variable temps. regards, Rich
richg99 is offline Find More Posts by richg99
Old Dec 09, 2009, 12:38 AM
No retreat no surrender
USA, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 1999
662 Posts
I have had good success with the white Gorilla glue and foam. It will foam up, but cures in an hour and is strong. I glued my FFF Nutball back together with it many times and it still survives, even the outside loops. Jim
newguy is offline Find More Posts by newguy
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:53 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage View Post
I broke the front section off of a foam plane(just at the firewall). I was wondering about the strongest, most reliable glue. I've used foam safe CA. Its pretty good but not great and you have to hold it until it sets up. I like hot glue but dont know how well it would work here. (Heard its good). Never used Gorilla. I dont think epoxy would be good for foam on foam. Your opinions?
Thanks
Hot glue is the simplest and quickest. And it doesn't seem to melt the foam. WE use it all the time for field repairs to foamies at the shows.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1