Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:40 AM
boerie roll
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Neat project Marcell!

What are you using to cut out the foam? Exacto knife?

BTW, The only thing I see that somewhat detracts from the scale look is the top intakes. If they were rounded instead of squared it would be hard telling this was a model in a photo without extreme close ups. Perhaps this is what your wife is speaking? Besides that I think you have the looks nailed, beautiful work.
Thanks Greg.

I agree with you about the intakes, ideally they should be made by bending 3mm depron. I went with this design to keep it simple and use only 6mm sheets. The corners are supposed to be sanded round, I will post a picture once I'm done painting.

I use a scalpel for the cutting.

Marcel
vleisie is offline Find More Posts by vleisie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
I've added pictures of the completed model to the first post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1.

The paint job turned out really horrible, I hated putting my custom made vinyl decals on it.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:45 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I think she looks good... I cant wait to hear how she flys.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:43 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
It flies great off grass, I can't wait to try it on water!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 04:28 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Did some water trials on a small pond this afternoon - not totally successful. It comes on to plane easily and I think it will take off and land ok, but at slow speed the wings do not have enough boyancy by themselves. In a cross wind the large fin wants to roll the plane over. So I will have to add some wingtip floats.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:32 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
That's no big deal. Make the floats look like drop tanks or bombs.

Another idea, you may just get by with an extra layer of 6mm foam in the same shape of the tip at the tip.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
USA, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2005
359 Posts
On the real Seadart, there are "fins" (for my lack of knowledge of what they are really called) on the bottom of the wings at the tip. They are probably to help the plane track straight. You could make your floats to match them. Just an idea.
rcflyer50 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer50
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer50 View Post
On the real Seadart, there are "fins" (for my lack of knowledge of what they are really called) on the bottom of the wings at the tip. They are probably to help the plane track straight. You could make your floats to match them. Just an idea.
Yes, thanks. That is what I'm doing. I'm using the shape of the "fins" and just increasing the size to work as floats. I also have to reduce the elevon span to make space for the floats, but the plane has more than enough control authority so it should be fine.

Thanks for your idea too Greg.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Like this.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:14 PM
USA, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2005
359 Posts
There ya go, that looks like it will work great. I really can't wait to see video when you can do some. I live on a lake and would love to make this plane but I lack the nerve to fly over water for fear of a "splash down". Will you be waterproofing and of the electrical components?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:25 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer50 View Post
There ya go, that looks like it will work great. I really can't wait to see video when you can do some. I live on a lake and would love to make this plane but I lack the nerve to fly over water for fear of a "splash down". Will you be waterproofing and of the electrical components?
I can get some video off grass tomorrow, but I'll only be flying off water when I go on holiday next week. I'll be able to post video when I get back in January.

I'm not waterproofing anything (which does not mean it is a bad idea ).

If you are looking for a well proven waterplane design, check out the Polaris thread in the scratch built foamies forum. Also tons of useful information on waterproofing and more.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:37 AM
USA, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2005
359 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've seen the Polaris, but never really tool a close look at the plans. I'll give it look see. Thanks again.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:07 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
The floats seem to have solved the water stability.

Here is some video, flying off grass:

Depron Seadart (1 min 18 sec)

Most of the flight is at about 50% power and never more than 80%, as I was trying a 1250mah battery for the first time.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:39 AM
Mexico, SON, Cd Obregón
Joined Oct 2008
41 Posts
tha plane flyes nice i cant wait to see in the water jejejej
E.RooD is offline Find More Posts by E.RooD
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:09 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
man that looks cool sliding across the grass!! I too cant wait for the water video. Any chance of tiled plans? She floats right in for landings.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale