HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,563 Posts
Looking good !

If this lands as easy as the Polaris you shouldnt need the epp.
But it cant hurt :-)

I havent even started mine :-(
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vleisie View Post
Well the Seadart goes together in a weekend and is much more docile than the BD5. I don't fly the BD5 much, it's kind of a novelty plane.

But, let's not hijack this thread any further.
really thinking of building this plane next weekend. dont care for the box like fuse and am thinking of modifying that part.

dont necessarily want more docile, would prefer more performance.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:33 PM
USA, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2005
359 Posts
Thanks Bird! I'll take any advantage I can to keep the plane in relatively good condition. Sometimes my landings can be kinda squirrely. You do have to use a bit more carbon rod to stiffen the wing though. I'll be painting it this week. I'm not sure if I'll go with the traditional scheme or something else.
rcflyer50 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer50
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
boerie roll
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Okay Gents, the good news... She flies!!! Went to the field before work and let'er rip. The bad news, on the second circuit around the field while trying to trim her out, I lost orientation. She went in from about 50 feet. Slight damage to front end, but my 450mAh bat took out the cross member supporting the front fus. Taped her up and she was good as new. I have to admit, my flying skills could use some improvement. More good news, my wife was on hand with the BACKUP camera. Will post vids later this evening. Overall, the 1811 2000Kv/450mAh combo pushes her along quite well. I will do some repairs and seal her up for water trails. More to come.

Ksqm
Sounds like your little seadart is jinxed Ksqm! Would love to see some video.

Marcel
vleisie is offline Find More Posts by vleisie
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:57 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
man, just watched the water vid!!!!! how cool is that! looks like its perfect for water!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwings View Post
Marvellous Model.
Thanks guys
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
really thinking of building this plane next weekend. dont care for the box like fuse and am thinking of modifying that part.

dont necessarily want more docile, would prefer more performance.
If you do build it I'd like to see what you come up with on the fuse, for me ease of build was a priority. That is also why I don't fly my BD-5 much, the more effort a plane takes to build the less I fly it.

Marcel
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:23 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer50 View Post
Thanks Bird! I'll take any advantage I can to keep the plane in relatively good condition. Sometimes my landings can be kinda squirrely. You do have to use a bit more carbon rod to stiffen the wing though. I'll be painting it this week. I'm not sure if I'll go with the traditional scheme or something else.
Your plane is looking great rcflyer, I like how you bent the sides in. By the way, you can consider adding the two cosmetic intake parts that I show in the third post. I don't know if you saw those.

Here are all the colour schemes I know of, not a big variety. I think only the first, second and fourth actually flew, and that the rest were painted that way after the program ended. I like the third one best.

Marcel
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 25, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:10 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vleisie View Post
If you do build it I'd like to see what you come up with on the fuse, for me ease of build was a priority. That is also why I don't fly my BD-5 much, the more effort a plane takes to build the less I fly it.

Marcel
Pretty funny :-)))

For me if it's too much building ...
It never actually leaves the bench :-(

That is to say , I have a bunch of false starts
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
Has anyone tried this with FFF yet? I have some here that I'd like to use up before ordering some Depron, but if this model is not suitable for the 5mm fan fold I will just bite the bullet and order some 6mm Dep.

Would this make a good trainer for the Polaris (which I've built but not yet flown) or the other way around? In other words, which is easier to fly? I am with you; the Polaris was so complicated to build I am afraid to fly it!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:34 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,189 Posts
Don,

The 5mm FFF should work just fine. Just be sure to cut the slots and notches the proper size for your foam (5mm versus 6mm).

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,240 Posts
Half-Pint Seadart

Well Gents, finally get to upload this video. I warn you, it's not premium quality, but she flies.
Seadart Maiden flight (1 min 22 sec)

Yes, that that sound at the end is a not so good landing. I think I may have inadvertently added left rudder at too low an altitude. Gotta keep trying. Thanks to the Misses for braving the cold and old camera.
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Has anyone tried this with FFF yet? I have some here that I'd like to use up before ordering some Depron, but if this model is not suitable for the 5mm fan fold I will just bite the bullet and order some 6mm Dep.

Would this make a good trainer for the Polaris (which I've built but not yet flown) or the other way around? In other words, which is easier to fly? I am with you; the Polaris was so complicated to build I am afraid to fly it!

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Don,

The 5mm FFF should work just fine. Just be sure to cut the slots and notches the proper size for your foam (5mm versus 6mm).

Pat
Don, we don't have that material here, but I'm sure you can go with what Pat said. I think this flies fairly similar to the Polaris.

Marcel
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:06 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Well Gents, finally get to upload this video. I warn you, it's not premium quality, but she flies.
Thanks for the video ksqm, the weather looked terrible!

It seems like you had your hands full with the plane, or am I imagining it? If it is nose-diving with power it would be worth adjusting the thrust angle. You could simply add washers under the motor mount and trim the foam to clear the motor.

Marcel
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
Quote:
looks like a pretty good flier. what motor is that?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:22 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
what about dollar tree foam? thats my building material of choice.