HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:16 AM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
So I finally decided I wanted to a bigger size heli so I went ahead and purchased an e-razor 450. I’m pretty new at flying helis and my experience in flying CP is rather limited. I learned basic flying skills through a 4g6s, which in all honesty I’ve spent more time fixing than actually flying, and more recently a Blade MCP x.
So off I went to the local flying field with my newly acquired e-razor. The only thing I changed with the bird is the receiver with a Spektrum so I can use my DX6i. Other than that, everything is stock.
I nervously powered her up and then did some basic hovering. Like I said earlier, this is my first 450 size heli so my hands and knees where shaking as I took her up even higher and then started some slow circuits. I was amazed that I was able to fly this thing. Without a shadow of a doubt, flying the MCP X before this tremendously helped.
Anyway I’m gonna try to upload my first few flights on youtube and post it here if you’d all like to see. I’m very satisfied with the e-razor.
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:36 AM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Yes please do post your video...as we all would love to see it.
Dr. Evil is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Evil
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
For a 'cheap clone' I gotta say the E Razor flies predictably in it's stock form. While it's parts and quality are not top shelf, it seems to work pretty well, and as you discover something you don't quite like, or want to improve, or need to fix after a crash, then you can slowly customize to being a pretty competent heli.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:55 AM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
I agree with the parts. I have a ton of extra parts, almost enough to make 2 helis. I have stocked up on them over time. I have everything but skids, because I go through them so fast.

So a weird thing happened the other day. As most of you know I have upgraded my pinion to Rhino. So when I went to fly the other day the heli would not spin up and I noticed the gear was lose. I tried to tighten the set screw but it was seized inside the gear. "I do use lock tight" Luckily I was able to slide the gear off the motor with ease, I replaced it with another gear but this time I did not use lock tight. Has anyone had a problem like this. I find it weird I could not tighten or back out the set screw in the pinion. Is this a common problem.
Swat342 is offline Find More Posts by Swat342
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat342 View Post
I agree with the parts. I have a ton of extra parts, almost enough to make 2 helis. I have stocked up on them over time. I have everything but skids, because I go through them so fast.

So a weird thing happened the other day. As most of you know I have upgraded my pinion to Rhino. So when I went to fly the other day the heli would not spin up and I noticed the gear was lose. I tried to tighten the set screw but it was seized inside the gear. "I do use lock tight" Luckily I was able to slide the gear off the motor with ease, I replaced it with another gear but this time I did not use lock tight. Has anyone had a problem like this. I find it weird I could not tighten or back out the set screw in the pinion. Is this a common problem.
It happened to me when I replaced the oem setscrew with the much better Rhino one as you guys have suggested to use. I havnt had any issues with the Rhino one so far and hope not to either..LOL. Anyway, back to your question...what I did was what someone here suggested and thats to heat the pinion just a bit to melt or soften up the locktight for an easier removal.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:20 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
It happened to me when I replaced the oem setscrew with the much better Rhino one as you guys have suggested to use. I havnt had any issues with the Rhino one so far and hope not to either..LOL. Anyway, back to your question...what I did was what someone here suggested and thats to heat the pinion just a bit to melt or soften up the locktight for an easier removal.

And if you can manage to get the heat on the pinion mostly, not the shaft, then it should expand more than the shaft does, and also aid in removal.

Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
And if you can manage to get the heat on the pinion mostly, not the shaft, then it should expand more than the shaft does, and also aid in removal.

I just use a Oxygen/Acetylene Torch to cut the pinnion gear off with..LMAO..
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:46 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enguneer View Post
I just use a Oxygen/Acetylene Torch to cut the pinnion gear off with..LMAO..
LOL

I was thinking more like laying a batt powered soldering iron on the brass gear for a few seconds, but okay.... different strokes for different folks...

Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:56 PM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I was wanting to save the pinion, now I think I can. I have a ton of set screws so I don't the naughty one.
Swat342 is offline Find More Posts by Swat342
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
Well here's my maiden flight of my new e-razor.

erazor first flight (1 min 42 sec)
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:51 PM
Vero Beach, Florida
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
We all should be so lucky as to your "first flight", how about giving us the Powerball numbers for the week!

On the pinion, as the grub screw is usually a different materail from the pinion, I use a small amount of NAPA Anti-Seize Lubricant on the grub screw, they rust fast, I suppose one could borrow a little nail polish from the wife or girlfriend to paint the grub screw after it fastened.
wattflyer is offline Find More Posts by wattflyer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:51 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
Nice! Once you've flown those little birds like the 4G6, a 450 is easy by comparison! Looks like it might have been windy that day too, but you kept it under control.

I've got a 250 also and that thing darts around really fast compared to the e-razor. It is harder to fly.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUEM6i1E3o[/url]
Congrats!

Looks like she is more or less rarin' to go!!!

Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Very nice maiden....love the landing pad as well! Where is that place anyway, is it a public park or some kind of construction site or something?...I was trying to figure out what was painted on the end of that pad...it said something like "do not cross this line" or something....thought it was interesting. None the less...nice flying!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Very nice maiden....love the landing pad as well! Where is that place anyway, is it a public park or some kind of construction site or something?...I was trying to figure out what was painted on the end of that pad...it said something like "do not cross this line" or something....thought it was interesting. None the less...nice flying!
I was going to comment that it looked like as long as you are there at the right time of day, should have terrific visibility of the heli. Very picturesque site!