HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:43 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
hz6b9k has something there.
I like to fix things top down, in other words, get the servo fixed first.
If you have a servo spinning and stalling, it will overload the BEC of the ESC, maybe the ESC is going into thermal shutdown. That happende to me once. In my case, the ESC was under the battery and not dissapating heat properly.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:58 AM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Servo gears...

Checked the servo gears this morning... STRIPPED. Will order a new servo and see what happens next. Thanks again for the advice.
cphdrider is offline Find More Posts by cphdrider
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:45 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Glad you found it.
plastic gear servos often strip in a crash. In the future, you could relplace all 3 cyclic servos with metal gear servos, you would then have to do some possible servo reversing and such to make them work.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:11 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
I had some extra Hextronics HXT900 servos (hobbyking). Cheaper and tougher than the dynam servos. You can buy replacement gear sets too. I tried one when my dynam servo broke, but like Melnic says... you have to do some reversing and even then... you need to replace all the cyclic servos so they are all the same brand. Easier to just buy another dynam because thing is setup for that.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:01 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
I had some extra Hextronics HXT900 servos (hobbyking). Cheaper and tougher than the dynam servos. You can buy replacement gear sets too. I tried one when my dynam servo broke, but like Melnic says... you have to do some reversing and even then... you need to replace all the cyclic servos so they are all the same brand. Easier to just buy another dynam because thing is setup for that.
Have you been able to replace gearsets on the HXT900's? I have lots of spare gearsets but the first time I tried to replace a set, the top gear was a PAIN to remove and I broke the POT free so I trashed it.
I bet the TP90 servos XHeli sells are every bit as good as the dynams and dirt cheap. I know the blueray servos are a much better quality than the Dynams.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 11:11 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Nope. I have not tried to replace any gear sets yet. Just from taking my dead dynam apart I know you are right, it won't be easy to repair. I've heard good things about the Tp90 servos too. For the money, both are a pretty good value. My local hobby shop didn't have any 9g servos under $20. I'll wait for the slow boat from china before I spend that on a cheap heli.
Last edited by hz6b9k; Mar 09, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:30 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
Well... good ol XHeli. Ordered a new servo, came in yesterday - Bad servo! Moves back and forth by itself and will not hold a position. What next...?
cphdrider is offline Find More Posts by cphdrider
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:51 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
I'd contact Andy through the support forum at www.rcdiscuss.com. Let him know that you got a defective servo. I'd guess the pot in the servo isn't working... that's what servos do when that happens.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Melnic, I just wanted to let you know I've been repairing servos.

I had three broken dynam servos... now I have one functional dynam servo and it didn't cost me anything. The top gear is a little tough to pull. This is because it is a press fit on some splines on the pot. shaft. You kind of have to hold the pot down and pull the top gear up. I wiggle it just a bit.

Once you do that, you are home free. It is kind of neat the way servos work. The pot is like a dial control that tells the motor to turn either clockwise or counter-clockwise. it is geared to the motor, so there is a feedback loop between the two. You have to make sure the pot is centered when you put it all back together.

Fixing the servo is just a matter of finding and replacing the gear with the broken teeth.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:01 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
yes, I've repaird plenty. I just don't like it when I have to struggle to get the gear out. The EXI servo, Futabas, hitech and Align servos are pretty easy to fix. Tower Pro and these Dyams as you see have that press fit gear on and are prone to damage.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
I've always wondered, are the more expensive servos really built that much better? When I went to shop for a replacement 9g servo at my local hobbyshop, they didn't have anything under $20. I am too cheap to put an expensive servo on my inexpensive heli. Besides, I am learning and I don't feel as bad ruining a $3 servo. Once I am better, I might be able to pry open the wallet for a nice setup.

Also, of the servos you have... does the dynam appear to be clone of any of them? I'd like to find replacement gearsets for the dynam servos if I can...

Oh, as a side note... I was curious to see if the gear switch on the left hand side of the dynam radio works. I plugged a servo in and it does! If I ever get good enough to worry about more than just not crashing, I could add maybe a drop box for paintballs on the bottom of my helicopter or maybe servo control a camera. On second thought... .I think I'll probably just replace the dynam radio in the E-razor 450 with an Exceed 2.4Ghz radio I bought last year. I miss not having a throttle hold switch. But maybe the dynam radio could be useful for a small plane? Who knows?
Last edited by hz6b9k; Mar 17, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
If you have an Exceed T6 radio, then by all means, you may want to swap out the stock radio. Xheli is now selling the Dynam Rx ready for a reason.
If you need info on setting it up, look here for some generic info:
http://www.mycoolheli.com/BasicCCPMsetup.html
http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:01 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for your help! I'll take a look.

I also have a EXI 450 SE on the way. I bought the e-razor because I didn't want to have to put a kit together and set everything up, but as many times as I've repaired the e-razor and set everything up again... I am way past worrying about that now.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:53 AM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Do you still have your E-Razor Melnic?
sv1000s is offline Find More Posts by sv1000s
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:22 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1000s View Post
Do you still have your E-Razor Melnic?
Yes, still have it. Planning to make a T6config file when I can get to it.