HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:42 AM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
E-RAZOR 450 RC Helicopter

I was on hold with XHELI.com for 1.5 hours yesterday and they never answered. Then tried sales for 30 minutes and they didn't answer either. Also tried their CHAT box and no response there either. I am at wits end with this thing and don't know what to do next? Certainly not good advertisement for XHELI.com. The manual is very confusing and is worthless in my opinion. I did notice that my GYRO is upside down and XHELI.com shows it right side up... would that make a difference?
cphdrider is offline Find More Posts by cphdrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:04 AM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdrider View Post
I was on hold with XHELI.com for 1.5 hours yesterday and they never answered. Then tried sales for 30 minutes and they didn't answer either. Also tried their CHAT box and no response there either. I am at wits end with this thing and don't know what to do next? Certainly not good advertisement for XHELI.com. The manual is very confusing and is worthless in my opinion. I did notice that my GYRO is upside down and XHELI.com shows it right side up... would that make a difference?
cphdrider use there forum boards rc discuss
http://www.rcdiscuss.com/ ,,,,ps ask for andy in your post he is the man over there i ordered parts other day and have a posted there and got QUICK REPLYS
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:22 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
CPH,
you won't get much service over the phone, pretty much all the support is from rcdiscuss. But I think I"m very capable of helping you out.

#1, did you see my review page and did you follow my Tx setup I went over?
http://www.mycoolheli.com/reviews/ReviewERazor450.html

#2, Look on that page at the gyro mount. Does yours look EXACTLY like this?
Label facing right of helicopter (looking at it from the tail),
Label upside down.
servo wire on the back.

#3 If so, then next try the pinch test (that is part of that review page under setting up the gyro)

Do those things I list above then report back.

-D
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
I rec a new E-Razor 450 with the 2.4ghz this week from XHeli. Had a problem with the helicopter spinning out of control just before lift-off. I read the very confusing manual that comes with the helicopter and was going to check out the GYRO function per instructions provided another member. I turned on the Tx and plugged in the battery and DISASTER. I strongly caution anyone that owns one of these things to read the following. I found out from reading blogs on the Internet after the DISASTER that it was caused by a large flip swith simple being in the wrong position. The switch is too easy to move and will get moved just simply by handling the Tx. The following email was sent to XHeli this moring for their response:

Subject: DISASTER when battery was pulgged in.

Reference: Order # yhst-94582326164583-224042

Dear Sirs,

I am an avid RC flyer of airplanes but never have experienced anything like this. I turned on the Tx this morning and plugged in the battery on the helicopter and within seconds the helicopter exploded full throttle and hit my ceiling. It did extensive damage to the ceiling and to the helicopter. I got on the Internet and discovered I am not the only one this has happened to. There is a switch on the top right of the Tx which has two positions 1)Fly nor, and 2)3d. I did know this would happen if the switch was in the 3d position which according to the Internet the helicopter starts at "full throttle" when the unit is powered up. I looked at my Tx and yes the switch was in the "3d" position. This a bad design in that anyone is subject to plug the battery in and this happen. I was fortunate that it did not hit me in the face of which it almost did. This is a powerful helicopter and a design as such is unforgivable and could cause serious injury.

I would strongly suggest you stop shipping this product until this is corrected. I am requesting a full refund, or, at least allow me to return the helicopter and you repair and readjust it at no charge. I have already contacted a repairman this morning to fix my ceiling and a verbal estimate over the phone was $300 which includes repainting the ceiling due to the amount of damage.

Please contact me as soon as possible, and, also note that for consideration of the safety of others I will post this email on the Internet. Again, I came within inches of being a blind person as the blades barely missed hitting me in the face.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKs to everyone for your response. I sent the email to XHeli this morning and ded not receive a phone call or email. I also spent 2 hours on-hold and no one ever answered the phone. Having worked with a major corporation for 32 years of which much of my time was spent with the legal dept, I figured I would not get a response from XHeli - and I did not. Stay away from the issues and continue to sell these RFT weapons is apparently more important to XHeli than doing what is right. A helicopter with the power of the E-Razor 450 out of control is a weapon and no doubt could injure or kill a person. I fully agree with some of your comments that a class action law suit might make these products safer or at least provide clear written instructions regarding the danger and operation of products as such. I mentioned in my earlier note that I had contacted a home repairman this morning. He came this evening and the cost to fix the 1" diameter hole, scratched ceiling, and repainting is $400. Add to that the cost of the E-Razor 450 and I have learned a valuable lesson - I am finished with RC helicopters. The ceiling can be repaired and the total cost of $615 for the repair and helicopter is pennies compared to what it would have cost me if I had lost my eyes. Again, thanks to you all for your response...
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:17 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
CPHDRIDER,
How much of that post is you writing about your experiance?
Are you reading what I'm writing to you? Have you bothered to try out what I'm suggesting?
I covered the issues on the TX in that review page. I even did a youtube video of it. If anyone is thinking about this helicopter, they should read that review page. Especially if they have yet to start it up. I can not dissagree that the TX has problems and they are much worse than other radios, but EVERY RTF radio will spin the heli up if you hit the 3D (idle up switch). That's nothing new.

If your not going to interact with what others are posting and try what we are suggesting, then why are you asking the questions?

On Post #40 of this thread, I showed you how to get warranty service on the helicopter.
I you want, you can return the helicopter per their return policy using that information.

Good luck.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:42 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
Melnic, I think CPHDRIDER is making the best possible choice for him. He is finished with RC Helicopters. Sorry this didn't work out for him, but this hobby isn't for everyone. For those who don't like to fix things, this really isn't the hobby. His experience reminds us all that this hobby can be dangerous.

For the rest of us, what a blast! Some of most helpful people I've met have been on the heli forums. Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:20 PM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
Melnic, I think CPHDRIDER is making the best possible choice for him. He is finished with RC Helicopters. Sorry this didn't work out for him, but this hobby isn't for everyone. For those who don't like to fix things, this really isn't the hobby. His experience reminds us all that this hobby can be dangerous.

For the rest of us, what a blast! Some of most helpful people I've met have been on the heli forums. Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone.
True That!
sv1000s is offline Find More Posts by sv1000s
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:14 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I think Xheli got the hint. I think they maybe reworked all the boxes and pulled the Rx and Tx and hopefully they are on a boat back to Dynam.
They are now selling it as an Rx ready helicopter
See the new links I"ve added:
Erazor 450 review & setup guilde

The video I did of the ESC programming and the gyro manual should at least be useful for those who are setting one of these up.
The 250 version makes a pretty inexpensive mini heli setup for backyard flying. I don't have an Erazor 250 but I know of someone who does and he pulled the dynam rx/tx out of it and put his own in it and is happy with it.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:19 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
So, it would seem that the radio that was sold with the e-razor is worth about $10... Sounds about right to me.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:32 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
So, it would seem that the radio that was sold with the e-razor is worth about $10... Sounds about right to me.
It would seem so.
$10 for the 72mhz version , $20 for the 2.4
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
E-RAZOR 450 RC Helicopter - the adventure continues...

OK... I repaired the helicopter, fired it up yesterday and attached it to a post in the yard and something is wrong! With increase in rpm probably to the point it would lift off the main rotor goes full right and even with full left stick it will not move BACK? Also, right after this happens the motor cuts back to idle and then off within seconds? I wait 10 seconds and gave it throttle and this same thing happens repeatedly? I would like to at least be able to hover it in the back yard. How do I fix this? An email to cphdrider@aol.com would be welcomed. Thanks...
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:33 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdrider View Post
OK... I repaired the helicopter, fired it up yesterday and attached it to a post in the yard and something is wrong! With increase in rpm probably to the point it would lift off the main rotor goes full right and even with full left stick it will not move BACK? Also, right after this happens the motor cuts back to idle and then off within seconds? I wait 10 seconds and gave it throttle and this same thing happens repeatedly? I would like to at least be able to hover it in the back yard. How do I fix this? An email to cphdrider@aol.com would be welcomed. Thanks...
Start here:
http://www.mycoolheli.com/reviews/ReviewERazor450.html
Follow the setup I show.
(E-Razor 2.4Ghz Proper Tx Setup procedure)
Disconnect 2 of the 3 motor wires VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!
Then go to the power up procedure.
Power things up.
Lift the collective stick slowly and the swash should move up nice and straight. Swash follows the left stick going up and down.
NOW, move the right (cyclic) stick around, swash should tilt in the direction of the cyclic stick.

DOES IT?

One more question, is this your first helicopter? Have you flown other RC helicopters before? (forgive me if I've asked this already)
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
Melnic, thanks much for your reply. The swash plate does rotate according to the position of the joy stick. However, under full power the swash plate(rotor) goes full right and will not go left even with full left joy stick. I slowly forced the servos tonight to move and found that the servo on the right side felt odd. I think a gear is stripped which would allow for swash plate movement with low throttle and likewise pressure at high throttle would cause it to stick or not move pushing the rotor to full right. I will remove and inspect the servo later.

What is your thought on the motor going back to idle/stop after full power for 20 seconds?

You asked is this my first helicopter... yes, however, I flew RC airplanes for 15 years and was a very good pilot. I did some pylon racing and you know that takes skill due to the high speed of the aircraft. Your thoughts on the motor slowly going back to idle/stop?
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:36 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Start with a new servo. All CCPM swash servos must be the same make and model. They must also have the same ball position on the swash.

I don't know about the motor, it could be a bad wire connection, bad ESC or Bad motor.

Also, once you get it going, I suggest you use training gear and follow a training plan along with simulator:
http://www.mycoolheli.com/HeliTraining.html
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:35 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
296 Posts
I've been thinking about the motor cutting out like that... sounds like the speed control thinks it is being overloaded, and it is shutting down. When you smell it, does it have a burnt electrical smell? Another possibility I'm sure you've checked is the battery. A low battery might do that too. How long ago was it you charged the battery?

Is there someone else you know who lives around you and has a 450 heli? Without even taking anything apart, you could plug your motor into his speed controller and make sure it isn't the motor. Test one part at a time. Working like this... you'll quickly discover what the problem is... A new motor and speed controller is not a bad purchase because you can use them when building a new heli. With time, if you stick with this hobby, you'll have a box with spare parts as well as several speed controllers and motors in it.