SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:07 AM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthedude View Post
Yes it is the stock receiver and transmitter. I have two stock rx's so I tried just switching to the other.
I would try the gyro, but your tx might have went out also. I think (not sure) that if the gyro is not working the rx would still bind. sounds like a good excuses to upgrade the tx!!!!!
Swat342 is offline Find More Posts by Swat342
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:44 AM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
The picture is up on the Flybarless Erazor and wow it looks pretty. I noticed the Head is your basic flybarless. I was expecting a DFC type I guess. I did not see what type of gyro it was using but I expect it is an all in one RX/ Flybarless gyro. Can't wait to see more pics.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:24 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
OH, man guys!

Whew, I dodged a big bullet yesterday. Was just doing some hovering and slow circuits on on the carbon Erazor, since I have been using the plastic Erazor as my 'workhorse' 450 trainer for the last couple of weeks, so I thought I would run the carbon a bit.

Everything was perfect, and I had settled in close for some final 20 or 30 seconds of just plain old tail in hovering to run out the clock for my timer to go off, when I heard a change in pitch, a little bit of gear whine, and then began to drop altitude. I fed in a bit of up collective, but it was still sinking so I just guided her to a bare spot and set her down. Went to pick it up and holy cow.

The pinion is very worn, and the main gear is completely ground away. The blades were totally free of motor to rotate, so I actually AUTOROTATED my 450 in from about four feet up, without even realizing it!

If this had happened even 20 seconds earlier while I was shoveling through a turn on some circuits and figure eights, it would have been a spectacular crash.

What is weird when I looked it over is that I would have sworn I had already upgraded every Dynam in my little fleet with a rhino stainless gear and new main gear.

Take note, future and current Erazor owners: Do NOT fly this on the stock brass pinion! It's not a matter of if you will eat the main gear, it's a matter of how very quickly it will happen.

USE RHINO GEAR PINION.

One of my friends at the field took one look at it when I walked in from the pad, and said ' oh that gear is Delrin, or perhaps some glass filled plastic. It is abrasive, and eats the brass. Then the brass is shortened, sharpened, and has an increasing gap... eventually, the two gears separate enough that the sharp but short edges of the brass gear now sweep off the plastic gears on the main, and have a mess on your hands.

Brass in a gear chain with metal gears is usually good, as brass is lubricious. But against the gear that is actually in the heli, it just gets rapidly worn away, and boom. Whichever engineer at Dynam chose this combo needs to have his bonus withheld.

Luckily, I am pretty sure I have a Rhino pinion and a new main gear in my spares, so no biggie. (This time!)

Look especially at the last pic to really see what's going on.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
925 Posts
It had happened to me once, and it will happen to ALL E-razors with stock brass pinion and main gear after about 15 to 20 flights. You are a brave man, still using stock servos?
GTstrudl is offline Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:27 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
You are a brave man, still using stock servos?
Yeah, they are actually good (in my experience) until you bump something, then they immediately strip.

Some of the EDFs I have built used the Dynam Detrum EDF power combos, that give you ESC, fan, motor, and four Dynam servos as part of the kit, so since I use different servos on the plane, these just pile up, so I gotta use 'em somewhere.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:12 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
I found out long ago that the Rhino 11T was a must for this heli, I am building an HK450GT Pro right now and I am afraid to even think of using the brass pinion. I couldn't figure out why I was stripping the teeth off the E-Razor main gear left and right and did some research and found the Rhino pinion. I was bit skeptical at first thinking it was the main gear being made of garbage plastic, but I had around a 100 or so successful flights with not one bit of damage to the main gear. Have to order some more in fact.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:37 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTREA1 View Post
I found out long ago that the Rhino 11T was a must for this heli, I am building an HK450GT Pro right now and I am afraid to even think of using the brass pinion. I couldn't figure out why I was stripping the teeth off the E-Razor main gear left and right and did some research and found the Rhino pinion. I was bit skeptical at first thinking it was the main gear being made of garbage plastic, but I had around a 100 or so successful flights with not one bit of damage to the main gear. Have to order some more in fact.
Yup, as mentioned, the chain of events seems to be that the main gear doesn't wear so much as it wears the BRASS PINION, then the brass pinion eventually damages the main gear.

So, no wear on [stainless steel] pinion = main gear happy for life.

Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined May 2012
336 Posts
That happened to me not long after I got able to hover for a full pack. I got these an that fixed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11T-X2-3-17-...item3f20312744
Spinnerdog is offline Find More Posts by Spinnerdog
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:29 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerdog View Post
That happened to me not long after I got able to hover for a full pack. I got these an that fixed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11T-X2-3-17-...item3f20312744
Looks like that would do it!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Yeah it caught me off guard too! I ordered it without a picture expecting the regular canopy so it was a great surprise when I went back and saw the new colors on the site. I should have it this Friday! Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat342 View Post
The picture is up on the Flybarless Erazor and wow it looks pretty. I noticed the Head is your basic flybarless. I was expecting a DFC type I guess. I did not see what type of gyro it was using but I expect it is an all in one RX/ Flybarless gyro. Can't wait to see more pics.
quizza is offline Find More Posts by quizza
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
I plan on making an order this week for a couple of new batteries on HobbyPartz and would like to order the new gear pinion before something happens to mine. I'm not sure what to look for? Could someone recommend one from HobbyPartz or give me some info on what to search? Also...would this battery be ok? The flybarless heli comes with a 25c so I figured this one was fine.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-2200-3s1p.html

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
OH, man guys!

Whew, I dodged a big bullet yesterday. Was just doing some hovering and slow circuits on on the carbon Erazor, since I have been using the plastic Erazor as my 'workhorse' 450 trainer for the last couple of weeks, so I thought I would run the carbon a bit.

Everything was perfect, and I had settled in close for some final 20 or 30 seconds of just plain old tail in hovering to run out the clock for my timer to go off, when I heard a change in pitch, a little bit of gear whine, and then began to drop altitude. I fed in a bit of up collective, but it was still sinking so I just guided her to a bare spot and set her down. Went to pick it up and holy cow.

The pinion is very worn, and the main gear is completely ground away. The blades were totally free of motor to rotate, so I actually AUTOROTATED my 450 in from about four feet up, without even realizing it!

If this had happened even 20 seconds earlier while I was shoveling through a turn on some circuits and figure eights, it would have been a spectacular crash.

What is weird when I looked it over is that I would have sworn I had already upgraded every Dynam in my little fleet with a rhino stainless gear and new main gear.

Take note, future and current Erazor owners: Do NOT fly this on the stock brass pinion! It's not a matter of if you will eat the main gear, it's a matter of how very quickly it will happen.

USE RHINO GEAR PINION.

One of my friends at the field took one look at it when I walked in from the pad, and said ' oh that gear is Delrin, or perhaps some glass filled plastic. It is abrasive, and eats the brass. Then the brass is shortened, sharpened, and has an increasing gap... eventually, the two gears separate enough that the sharp but short edges of the brass gear now sweep off the plastic gears on the main, and have a mess on your hands.

Brass in a gear chain with metal gears is usually good, as brass is lubricious. But against the gear that is actually in the heli, it just gets rapidly worn away, and boom. Whichever engineer at Dynam chose this combo needs to have his bonus withheld.

Luckily, I am pretty sure I have a Rhino pinion and a new main gear in my spares, so no biggie. (This time!)

Look especially at the last pic to really see what's going on.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:03 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
These are da bom -- just be sure to get right teeth on your shaft -- I think 11T. This SKU includes three different gears, so you can play around.

http://www.aprohobbies.com/rhino-gea...rage-p-53.html

It seems possible that the Dynam boys would have upgraded pinion to different material when they went FBL, so it's a shame to not know before ordering.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Yeah you're right....I'm just going to have to check when I get it. Just being a little impatient. I'll probably wait to double check the battery too before ordering. From what I've been reading I can possible get up to 20-25 minutes with the flybarless set up? Is this accurate? Also...Have any of you had any experience with Gens Ace batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
These are da bom -- just be sure to get right teeth on your shaft -- I think 11T. This SKU includes three different gears, so you can play around.

http://www.aprohobbies.com/rhino-gea...rage-p-53.html

It seems possible that the Dynam boys would have upgraded pinion to different material when they went FBL, so it's a shame to not know before ordering.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:36 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizza View Post
Yeah you're right....I'm just going to have to check when I get it. Just being a little impatient. I'll probably wait to double check the battery too before ordering. From what I've been reading I can possible get up to 20-25 minutes with the flybarless set up? Is this accurate? Also...Have any of you had any experience with Gens Ace batteries?
Man that new FBL E-Razor is sharp especially for the price!

I don't think going flybarless will get you anywhere near that kind of flight time. With a 2200mAh you might see around 10-11 minutes bringing it down with 11.5v left in the pack. As for the Gens Ace, I have had my buddies helicopter for testing and tuning purposes and it seems to be a good battery. I have been running 2 Turnigy 2.2's, a ROC 2200, the Gens Ace and two other cheapies, all seem to do fine. The Roc battery is my favorite, it's smaller and lighter but they are all seeing the same flight times.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:29 PM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizza View Post
I have a gens 2200 25c on my flybarless I set her down at around 8 min. My nano techs get around 9 and they are cheaper with buddy codes.