HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:24 AM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
The balancer should have - (negative) marked on one of the pins and it is usually the far left one. As long as the black wire is matched with negative symbol, the colors of the other wires matter not. I charge/balance mine on my hitec 4x and it works fine.
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:54 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Took my Dynam Erazor 450-based H-5 Sikorsky to the park this AM. It was too much wind for the Champ (steady 10-15), but I figured the Erazor would be fine. This has been converted to Flybarless head before I put the scale body on it, and it is using the WK2702v for stabilization.

Last time I had it out, for it's maiden, it was 'squirelly', shaky, and just not very happy i t he air, though it did fly, and I landed it in one piece.

This time, I brought my high res glasses-cam, and I put in the full sized 2200 mah battery for some 'ballast' versus the 1800 I had last time, and I also softened up the curves ,added a bit of head-speed at hover, and used some expo.

Those changes were all in the right direction, as it flew VERY predictably, and most of the shake is gone (except a bit of vibration in the wire landing gear, that goes away under a bit more RPM or pitch. I think with some more careful balancing, a bit of tweaking hear and there, even MORE expo than I put in today, that I will be able to achieve very scale-like flight out of this cool and relatively unusual model.

Sadly, while moving equipment back to the car, I caught an uneven bit of sidewalk, and twisted my ankle, causing me to collapse hard on the pavement. I instinctively protected my gear (radio in one hand, Champ and some other stuff in the other) but that means my knee took the brunt of the fall.

Fortunately, the ankle is not sprained, or if so it's lightly as I could support my weight and walk on it after a few minutes. One knee is skinned pretty badly, soaked a dishtowel from the car pretty well before it slowed up.

But here is the tragedy -- all that stuff is nothing -- I seem to have lost my high res keycam, including footage of the H-5! It was not in my stuff when I unpacked. I think it might have fallen when I fell, so I'm going to go back to park and look in just a few minutes. I decided it was such a good cam, though, that while sitting here 'recuperating' before the trip back, I ordered two more -- that way I can have glass cam, wing cam, and even a spare.

I literally was not watching where I was walking, so let that be a lesson, especially for some of us getting up in years -- slow and easy, and remember the basics your mom hammered into you "watch where you are going!" -- I just am so used to nicely groomed sidewalks, this one is black top and pitched, with huge potholes that I only took note of after the fall. Argh. Sure hope I can find that cam.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Great new is that I found it, right where I took a spill!

Bad news is that it looks pretty wrecked. Guessing cam wont work but hoping media can be rescued.

Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Great new is that I found it, right where I took a spill!

Bad news is that it looks pretty wrecked. Guessing cam wont work but hoping media can be rescued.

Sorry to hear about your spill, Dude! Ouch! I hope your knee fairs better than the Cam! Mine was pretty smashed after my last planting into the dirt. Still works though!

Did I ever share the time I brought my FP V200 heli inside, set it on the floor while TX and Heli were still powered up? I went back out to get the dog. As I got inside the dog's leash dragged across the TX and put it into full throttle, just as I was about to bend over to pick up the TX. The heli came off the floor like a bat out of hell. At chest level, I batted it down to the ground, cutting the crap out of my hand and arm and scattering parts galore. No more power-on handling for me! I don't even trust Throttle-Hold on my CP.

Let's be safe out there!
HeliGriff is offline Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:13 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
The heli came off the floor like a bat out of hell. At chest level, I batted it down to the ground, cutting the crap out of my hand and arm and scattering parts galore. No more power-on handling for me! I don't even trust Throttle-Hold on my CP.
Oh, that' a very good one! Shame there is no video!

I'm not hurt too bad -- the skinned knee area on my right leg is about the size of the bottom of a Coke can, and I went and bought extra large antiseptic bandages to put on it tonight while I sleep, but for now, I'm leaving it open to air, after cleaning the wound and applying topical antiseptic (ouch!). It looks gross. I guess this type of stuff used to be routine as a kid, but it sure smarts when you are older.

The left ankle that twisted and let me topple over is swollen up on the outside, and while i was able to go to the store to get the bandages, and I'm trying to use it around the house to keep from stiffening up, it does hurt like the dickens, and feels a lot worse now than at any time since the fall this morning. Again, the body's natural response is pretty cool -- keeping you mobile right after the incident with endorphins or whatever, but once it sends the fluid and pain signals in, (I guess once our ancestors escaped the mastodon and retreated back to the cave) it is now telling you to stay off it and let it heal some!

I had figured my 8G Cat 4 SD media card would be okay, but nope. Says it needs to be formatted, and I'm not doing that until I am ready to give up. I tried four different "recover your video" programs on it so far, and all of them took a bunch of time only to tell me they can't find anything at all. I have gone from hoping to recover the cool video of my H-5 to now just hoping the card itself can be salvaged. I will just sleep on it and see if any bright ideas come to me.

Since it is breezy out, and I am more or less down for the count physically for a few days... I guess I'll hit the sim -- that Henseleit TDR is a lot of fun to fly.

BTW -- I am thinking that given the damage to that camera but none to my Champ or radio, that it just fell out of my hand with no damage, but then, one of the many joggers, dog walkers or hikers that use that walkway must have simply stepped on it in the hour or so that I did not know it was gone, and that's what crushed it.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:42 AM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
714 Posts
Anyone have a link or has done a Flybarless Mod on the erazor 450?
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:22 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecnc2006 View Post
The guy above ya has!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:41 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,307 Posts
My CT6B TX/RX Experience

The good news is that I'm not confused anymore. Got the missing info from Melnic, Jerry, and the CT6B blog, then went back through setup. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the CT6B uses PC software to program the settings (rather than being onboard the TX), which requires a USB to Serial cable and drivers. As you are programming end points, swash mix, gyro mix, D/R, the TX starts to do funny things. For example:
  • The serial cable cannot jiggle or you lose connection. However, you won't know that it happened until your settings stop responding on the heli. Once you reconnect, you'll likely find that your settings are all off and you get to start over.
  • You must save your setup file and recalibrate the TX after entering each sub-set of parameters. Half-way through setup I noticed that the servos went up, but no longer went down. After several attempts to shut down and power-up, I "recalibrated" the TX. After a recalibration, the servos worked fine. However, now my subtrims were off and I had to start over again.
  • Assigning Pitch Range to V2A is simpler than I thought. The mixing is pre-programmed into the firmware, so you simply have to set the switch to Pitch Adjust and the function is now "on". You do not need to create the "mix". VRB requires you to assign the dial to a mix setting that you manually input for the Rudd Gain. It's simple and works fine. The instructions are in the manual.

After several hours of experimenting with setup, I felt that I had everything exactly the way it should be:
  • Servos centered
  • Swash levelled
  • Endpoints set
  • TH/PIT curves set
  • Swash AFR (Verticle swash Pitch Range, ELEV AILE Cyclic range) set
  • D/R set
  • VR Dials assigned (I left VR-A off so as not to bump it and change pitch range)
  • Switches A/B assigned and set

As I'm entering the data, with "Auto" on (changes are sent to TX instantly), I'm making note of the pitch results. Everything checks out. Now it's time to power off the heli, power off the TX, close the software application, unplug the cable, and do a fresh power-up without the PC or cable connected. Upon power-up, the servos did not center and my pitches are not what my notes indicate at all. I reconnected the PC, turned off "auto", powered on the TX, and "retreived" the settings from the TX into the software application. All the settings in the TX were exactly what I had programmed, yet the actual results were different than the bench results that I was getting during the setup procedure.

Now then.. Is the problem me or the TX system? Probably me, but I'm not sure. Whether the changing parameters is the fault of the "system" or me, isn't the real issue. It's the TRUST factor! I cannot see spooling up my heli for a test run when I cannot get the settings to "stick" for the bench test. Even if my settings held during the bench test, will they change on the next power-up? No trust here.

So, late last night, the RX was pulled out and replaced with the original RX. For now, I need "air time". Shorter days and cold weather will be here soon and I've wasted two weeks since the time I ordered the TX. I trust the original TX and I'll stay with that for now.

For Sale: CT6B TX, two matching RX's, software files on CD, cables, bind plug, 56+ pages of the manual (complete heli section) punched for a three-ring binder, in original box. Product is one week old. Will ship USPS. Make offer. -just kidding.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Aug 30, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:55 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecnc2006 View Post

Indeed I have! I did both a 'homebrewed' head using just the standard Dynam pieces, modified, and I also installed a HobbyKing cheapo head conversion kit later. Both worked great. I also have used both the Walkera 2701v as well as the Beastx for FBL control on 450 sized heli.

So, what's on your mind?

"I'm listening, Seattle!"
Last edited by tracknoob; Aug 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:03 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
The good news is that I'm not confused anymore.

The bad news is that the CT6B uses PC software to program the settings

After several hours of experimenting with setup, I felt that I had everything exactly the way it should be

Upon power-up... All the settings in the TX were exactly what I had programmed, yet the actual results were different than the bench results that I was getting during the setup procedure.

It's the TRUST factor! I cannot see spooling up my heli for a test run when I cannot get the settings to "stick" for the bench test. Even if my settings held during the bench test, will they change on the next power-up? No trust here.

For Sale: ...Make offer.
Oh, man. This is just the type of experience sharing and information that makes the forum such a great resource. I feel for ya buddy!

The feeling you got, and finally just could not ignore, was *exactly* the unease I got when trying to program some of the earlier Walkera Rx to work in various different modes with the 2801Pro transmitter -- that sometimes, it would seem the things would 'revert' to their native mode or settings, totally different than the swash mix or servo norm/reverse you set in transmitter-- what a recipe for DISASTER! Not to mention sucking all the fun right out of the experience.

All is not lost, however, if we *can* understand, test, verify, and stress things to get our understanding and confidence back high again. Sometimes, though, it's just not worth the grief.

So, just one thing I would offer on your own situation, if you don't have any buyers on the new gear right away, and you sleep on it a bit and feel like taking it up one more time, is you can always pull the blades off, clamp it down, and then relatively safely experiment with whether the settings you *thought* you programmed (but apparently cannot satisfactory confirm) are really in there.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:43 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Oh, man. This is just the type of experience sharing and information that makes the forum such a great resource. I feel for ya buddy!

The feeling you got, and finally just could not ignore, was *exactly* the unease I got when trying to program some of the earlier Walkera Rx to work in various different modes with the 2801Pro transmitter -- that sometimes, it would seem the things would 'revert' to their native mode or settings, totally different than the swash mix or servo norm/reverse you set in transmitter-- what a recipe for DISASTER! Not to mention sucking all the fun right out of the experience.

All is not lost, however, if we *can* understand, test, verify, and stress things to get our understanding and confidence back high again. Sometimes, though, it's just not worth the grief.

So, just one thing I would offer on your own situation, if you don't have any buyers on the new gear right away, and you sleep on it a bit and feel like taking it up one more time, is you can always pull the blades off, clamp it down, and then relatively safely experiment with whether the settings you *thought* you programmed (but apparently cannot satisfactory confirm) are really in there.
Yeah.. for $32, I'm not concerned about selling it. The "ad" was more of a sarcastic joke; reflecting the cold-hearted outcome from the hours and hours and hours of messing with it. Anyway, I intend to get back in the air with the original TX and do some FLYING!

Meanwhile, this experience has worked out WONDERFULLY! I couldn't decide whether to buy a DX7-S or a shiny new CF "backup heli" & the CT6B. I bought the backup heli, but the TX didn't work out. So now, I get to order the DX7-S anyway! It's win-win all around!!

-'ya gotta think positively! HAPPY FLYING!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
Crash Expert
United States, OK, Yukon
Joined Jan 2011
432 Posts
I am back. I had to take 3 weeks off, wow it was rough. However in my down time I had a new child "little girl" and built an EXI 450. Good times.
Swat342 is offline Find More Posts by Swat342
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:53 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat342 View Post
I am back. I had to take 3 weeks off, wow it was rough. However in my down time I had a new child "little girl" and built an EXI 450. Good times.
Welcome back!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:50 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,307 Posts
She FLYS once more! WooHoo!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
714 Posts
Quote:
Indeed I have! I did both a 'homebrewed' head using just the standard Dynam pieces, modified, and I also installed a HobbyKing cheapo head conversion kit later. Both worked great. I also have used both the Walkera 2701v as well as the Beastx for FBL control on 450 sized heli.

So, what's on your mind?

"I'm listening, Seattle!"
Love to see a tutorial and instructions on how to Mod your existing E-razor 450, with the removal of parts to leave a flybarless system.
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member