Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
Discussion
Scratch Built Giant Foam RC Biplane

I have just finished building a giant foam RC Biplane. This is actually a giant scale version of a plane I have designed and build in many different sizes. It is without a doubt the slowest outdoor plane I have seen with the exception of 3d planes in harrier or hover.

When I finished the plane I found that it needed a bigger propeller to be efficient at the speeds it would travel. I could not find the prop I wanted so I carved one out of poplar from home depot. I dropped the voltage from 6 cells down to 3 cells and propped up.

The plane has an 80 inch span, an 8 foot length and sits over 2 feet high. It flies right now on only 600 watts max on a 3 cell lipo pack. The motor flying it is only a 40 sized Turnigy 42-60 from Hobby City.

About 15 amps or 150 watts are necessary to maintain flight. It lifts of and climbs easily on 250 watts.

Total weight with 2 4000 mah 3 cell packs in parallel is about 8.2 lbs. Total area is 3520 inches square or 24.4 sq ft.

I am posting pictures below and will post some video of early flights tomorrow.

Michael
mtiegs is offline Find More Posts by mtiegs
Last edited by mtiegs; Dec 07, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:33 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiegs View Post
I have just finished building a giant foam RC Biplane. This is actually a giant scale version of a plane I have designed and build in many different sizes. It is without a doubt the slowest outdoor plane I have seen with the exception of 3d planes in harrier or hover.
Michael
Well I really like Bi Planes and there is a LOT of Bi Plane there to love. I would really like to see the video. I seen a 80 inch Pro Bro last night, now a Bi Plane, Bigger must be the new cool these days.

Very nice!
Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 07, 2009, 05:10 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
912 Posts
Luv it!

I luv it, got plans?

For the elevator, add on the tabs that are on the Fokker DVII or DR1. I think that would look kewl!

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Dec 07, 2009, 06:56 AM
Staffordshire, England
Joined Feb 2005
336 Posts
Luv the size! How have you built the wing? It looks like two layers of depron or FF formed into an undercamber
Gere Sport is offline Find More Posts by Gere Sport
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:01 AM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
Video from first flights

Here is a link to some video on youtube:

SlowBipe (2 min 58 sec)

New definition to "Low and Slow".

Michael
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:15 AM
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
Wow, that's awesome - it flies soooo slow & steady. Hmmm, I'm sure it could carry a HUGE cam...
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:25 AM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
Total weight is about 8.2 lbs. I haven't tested carrying capacity, but expect it could lift at least 5 lbs more. I know the wings can handle it and there is plenty of lift.

I am going to try setting it up to tow a billboard. I think it would be more of a lift than a tow at these speeds.
Last edited by mtiegs; Dec 07, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:37 AM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
The lower wing is just fanfold foam with a leading and traling spruce spar (1/4 x 1/4).

When I got to the upper wing I used 1/2 Dow foam insulation. In order to get the undercamber I releaved material from the underside. This stops it from snapping when you roll it.

Most of the plane is made out of th 1/2 inch Dow foam. 2 full 4 x 8 foot sheets were purchased from Lowe's.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:16 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
988 Posts
This plane is so wicked awesome!! I've watched the video several times just because it is so amazingly slow that I can hardly believe it! LOL

Thanks for sharing this!
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TheCrashCast.com - Episode 273
Old Dec 07, 2009, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
Thanks crash-man for the compliments. It really is wickedly slow. My smaller versions of this plane have a much larger flight speed envelope. I can slow them down to a crawl, or speed them up to about 28 mph. This plane seems to max out at about 15 mph due to drag. The smaller version will also do massive loops and unlimited vertical. Hammer Head stalls are great as well. I love the power of brushless motors.

I had a group of 25 kids at a picknic chasing this plane around the park for 15 minutes. They would try to catch it. I would fly it around just 10 feet in front of them just so they would not catch it. I would then bolt up into the sky in a loop and come back down behind them. Everytime I put this plane into the air, kids try to chase it.

The small version runs on about 110 watts max, has a 28 inch wingspan and has a weight of about 11 oz. It will cruse around on 3 amps with a 3 cell battery. The middle size has a 38 inch wingspan and has a weight of 20 oz. I think the 38 inch span is the slowest, but he 28 inch version can handle a lot of wind. I have flown in gusts to 15 mph on this 11 oz Bipe.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:00 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Another moment of "oh my word that is simply incredible!".
Really, it just sits in the air waiting for you to tell it to move forward
I particulalry like your wing connectors right at the end points. Gives a very sleek and strong visual impression...at this size you can plainly see the undercamber slottings.

Very very nicely turned out crowd pleaser...offline and online
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Dec 07, 2009, 06:15 PM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
Thanks slider. slotting the wing on the underside was definitely time consuming.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 06:54 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This is the slowest large plane I've ever seen. I love how slow it goes. Simply incredible.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:05 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
mtiegs,

That airplane is mesmerizing, absolutely mesmerizing!

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Dec 07, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,826 Posts
Absolutely amazing!! I used to be in awe of the "Pink Floyd", but even though your plane is much smaller, the styling and slow speed make it my new favorite. Congratulations on a great design. Gonna have to build one of those one day.
24 foot wingspan Pink Floyd RC Foam airplane (4 min 40 sec)
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member