Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:28 PM
Anaheim, CA
Joined Sep 2007
556 Posts
Discussion
Flying in Orange County, Calif.

Are there any good places to fly electrics in North Orange County, California? My local school that I usually fly at just posted a sign stating "Operation of Remote Control Vehicles Prohibited" and warnings of arrest if you are so bold to try it. Are there any legal places like parks that are safe for electrics? Preferably places that you don't have to pay to play? Thanks for any info. Jim
Elmog is offline Find More Posts by Elmog
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:16 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
I'm just getting started flying again. I haven't scouted things out too much, I believe there is a club in Anaheim, but I think they may be float fly only. I fly at El Dorado Park in Long Beach. There is park admission, but they sell annual passes...
Yesterday I went down to Great Park, that's a nice big field with a paved runway. Park entrance is free, but I think if you fly there regularly, you need to be a club member.
Do a club search at the AMA, I'm probably missing some

As an interested local I'm gonna subscribe to this thread!

Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:21 PM
Anaheim, CA
Joined Sep 2007
556 Posts
SumthinsFishy-

Where is Great park? Thanks.
Elmog is offline Find More Posts by Elmog
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:39 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
Great Park is on the El Toro Marine Base, not exactly North County, but not that far either.
South on the 5, exit Sand Canyon-L, Marine-R...
It's a nice field, only open Sat, Sun, Wed though.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 01:38 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,157 Posts
How far are you guys from Chino Hills 1/2 way between the 57 and the 71. We have a group of guys that flys in a jr hi on Sunday morning. We are not a offical club yet but I heard they working on it so there are some rules to follow so we dont lose the field b/c of some jerk. LMK if interested and I can give you more info
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:11 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
lv2soar,
I'm interested...

Thanks!
Dave
Old Dec 09, 2009, 12:37 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I fly all the time @ el Dorado park....
(hint) if you enter the park ~ 1 hr before closing time, you pay nothing (don't tell anyone)
since the park is about 3 min. from both my home & work, I can enjoy at least 1 hr of flying any day of the week for free
nicoyenny is online now Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Dec 09, 2009, 12:39 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,157 Posts
what time the park closes? be too dark to fly
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:30 PM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jan 2009
99 Posts
Santa Fe Dam Rec Area is a good place if you don't mind the drive (605 & 210). Not the private club next door but the park itself. Now through March, no entrance fee (weekends too I believe). Huge open area left of the entrance, and the lake is there if you have a float plane. Gas planes may be an issue with the rangers unless the local club has a sanctioned float-in.
joeyjoed1 is offline Find More Posts by joeyjoed1
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:17 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
there is a nice field at the elementary school by N. Granada that you can fly at, it's right behind my house so I can fly there from my porch
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoed1 View Post
Santa Fe Dam Rec Area is a good place if you don't mind the drive (605 & 210). Not the private club next door but the park itself. Now through March, no entrance fee (weekends too I believe). Huge open area left of the entrance, and the lake is there if you have a float plane. Gas planes may be an issue with the rangers unless the local club has a sanctioned float-in.
i was thinking of flying my foam parkflyer over there above the dam
but since you mentioned theres no entrace fee[winter season] going in i'
ll look for an open spot away from people.

is there a group that flys there regularly? weekdays? i would not dare fly there on weekends 'specially if people are around which is usually the case.

i'm careful when i fly anywhere and i basically avoid people or crowds you'll never know who will complain !
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:44 AM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jan 2009
99 Posts
Hey Kamov,

The park is virtually empty on weekdays. Just drive to the end once you make a left from the gate and there's more than a 1/2 mile radius of unobstructed area to fly. There is also a grassy area toward the water to belly land for foamy's. Was out there today and not a sign of life anywhere. Will most likely fly tomorrow.

Not sure if there are regulars out there besides me, but I'm not there all day.
joeyjoed1 is offline Find More Posts by joeyjoed1
Last edited by joeyjoed1; Dec 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Right now El Dorado closes at 5 pm, then on mid-January at 6 and 1 1/2 months later at 7 and @ 8 pm by mid-summer (and you can enter at 6 pm free)
nicoyenny is online now Find More Posts by nicoyenny