HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:45 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Discussion
F5D landings: spoilerons or flaperons?

For you gentlemen experienced in flying these little beasties...What is the best (safest & slowest) way to land an F5D such as an Escape, Sunracer II & JibeII.
Are there any pro's and con's?
Thank you,
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:48 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
I had a sunracerII and didn't use anything to land. It will go slow if you give it enough room.

On my absolute, I user two spoiler settings with some elevator mixed it. It slows down nicely and will normally pitch up (safer) than pitch down with flaperons.

Because you are not bringing it in nose high like a 3D or jet, flapperons will be more difficult to control.

My two-cents.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:16 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
I too, have found this to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
I had a sunracerII and didn't use anything to land. It will go slow if you give it enough room.

On my absolute, I user two spoiler settings with some elevator mixed it. It slows down nicely and will normally pitch up (safer) than pitch down with flaperons.

Because you are not bringing it in nose high like a 3D or jet, flapperons will be more difficult to control.

My two-cents.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:33 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainguy View Post
For you gentlemen experienced in flying these little beasties...What is the best (safest & slowest) way to land an F5D such as an Escape, Sunracer II & JibeII.
Are there any pro's and con's?
Thank you,
plainguy, hope to see you buzzing around Long Beach next week.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:06 AM
Life is such a brainfart.
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2004
406 Posts
Also when using flaperons, the wing will stall at a higher speed.....a bit of problem when you have a high wing loading.
snaggers is offline Find More Posts by snaggers
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:41 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
^^^ agreed. Don't use flaperons on outboard ailerons. It causes wash-in and will produce nasty tip stalling qualities. Only use flaperons if you have full span ailerons and preferably if you have the tips taped. I never use to use anything to land but now use spoilers if there is no head wind. The key is still to get the airframe to a comfortable slow speed and make a very wide final turn with only a slight wing bank. You can also burn off speed by making shallow S-turns on final or pumping the elevator up and down to use up energy. You should do a pass over you at the center of the runway power off at an altitude that allows one easy circle around to final approach. Decrease or extend the downwind base turn depending on wind conditions and lightly "blip" throttle if you will be short. Don't jam on the throttle if you are slow and at a high AOA or you can torque roll it in.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy