HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:43 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Discussion
RCRCM Strega

I've just ordered an RCRCM Strega I've been slope soaring for about a year now - just foamies up till this point. After lots of interweb searching and drooling on my keyboard, I finally caved in to my lust for some whistling carbon F3F goodness.

Being on the wrong end of an exchange rate, price was a factor, but I didn't want to sacrifice quality. The Strega seemed like the best compromise, if you can call it that.

I emailed RCRCM, who put me in touch with Andrew from Falcon Gliders. Andrew provides excellent customer service, and he really went the extra mile helping me sort out my order.

So here we are. This is my first mouldie, so I've got lots of questions. Hopefully this thread will become a good resource for other Strega owners to come, and maybe other F3F n00bs such as myself.
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Last edited by skaffen; Dec 06, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:47 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
First up, I'm looking for servo recommendations. I don't have the servo well dimensions yet, but I'm interested to hear what thin-wing servos you guys recommend?
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:54 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,507 Posts
3150 or 941 for the wings should do.

Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:29 PM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
Subscribed! What build did you get? Single carbon?

I'm happy with my Hyperions ds-95's (as the name suggests 9.5mm thick). You can get them here:
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6718

I'm using four on my Typhoons wings with no problem so far. I use the 5085's on ele/rud and have been happy with those.
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:30 PM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
Go with great servos the first time round.... Airtronics 94761Z's all the way round. Got em in my Vector III & RCRCM Predator. Not cheap but excellent servos. Davo
davonat is offline Find More Posts by davonat
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:00 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millikenrob View Post
Subscribed! What build did you get? Single carbon?

I'm happy with my Hyperions ds-95's (as the name suggests 9.5mm thick). You can get them here:
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6718

I'm using four on my Typhoons wings with no problem so far. I use the 5085's on ele/rud and have been happy with those.
Gidday, Rob - Yep, single carbon. Andrew assures me it's 2.4 friendly.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 05:03 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
888 Posts
Another vote for the 94761's all round, great little servos and around US$55 a real good price. I have them in my F3B and J ships and they are rock solid.
Les.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Dec 07, 2009, 05:10 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
hyperion DS095amd for the ailerons. I haven't seen the model yet, but I have been lead to believe it's very thin out there.

in terms of the other servos it really depends on your budget. You can probably go for ultra fast and expensive graupner mini servos on the v-tail, down to say hitec hs85mgs. The airtronics servo previously mentioned is good.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:12 AM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,311 Posts
1 more vote for the Hyperion 095's if the wings are a touch too thin at the aileron location for the Airtronics This plane is going to be fast.... and if loaded with ballast you will need some torque. The 94761's Have 55in.oz at 4.8 volts & 66in.oz at 6 volts. As far as the battery goes...go 6 volts for sure!
davonat is offline Find More Posts by davonat
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:25 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,961 Posts
Subscribed (Oh, yes, fins not square)!
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:23 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Andrew should have it in his hands in a few days, before it wings it's way across the ditch to me. He's going to measure the well depths for future reference, so I should have dimensions soon and will be able to make a choice

I'm starting to get excited!

I've had an awesome offer from a really experienced local flyer for help sorting the radio out - he's a Futaba guy too, and knows how to setup an F3F ship, so that's a load off my mind. Thanks, Les Edit: And Paul
Last edited by skaffen; Dec 07, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:42 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
a decent set up that won't let you down would be:

wing 4 x futaba s3150
tail 2 x futaba s3155

if they will fit. The s3150 is a popular wing servo over here in the UK. Over her you cannot buy sanwa/airtronics locally and JR/Graupner are a lot more expensive.

If you want ultimate power and speed in a thin wing servo (and pretty high cost) take a look at graupner ds3288 servos (or whatever they are called down under).

Anyway the point is your choice will probably be determined somewhat by the local market.

I would avoid hitec 5125mgs. I personally know guys who have had a lot of trouble with them (the new brass gear ones).

in terms of the battery, you don't need 6v imho. Most f3f people I know use 4.8v. That will probably be determined by the size of the fuse. In some of the newer models you are struggling to even get AA cells in a square pack in the fuselage. 2/3a packs (4 or 5 cell) work well in some models. The nose does look pretty long on the strega, so maybe it won't be much of an issue.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 02:27 PM
Joined May 2007
19 Posts
Put one of these together already - the wings are very thin, 3150s will need a little 'adjustment' to fit, possibly the servo covers as well. Mounts are made for 5125s (or other equivalent) - I made the mistake of fitting these servos and am getting rid of them already. The standard 125s will probably be better. Hype 095 looks good, although the supplied mounts will need a little adjustment as the servo dims are not the same.

You will probably be pretty happy with the model - quality from RCRCM is definitely on the up, and my initial thoughts from 1st flights are that there is definitely some good potential here....
Markf3f is offline Find More Posts by Markf3f
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:28 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
I have just put some of the Hyperion servos into a Typhoon. I ran them on the servo tester before fitting them, they seemed fast and very smooth (small steps) I was impressed by them, although as a general rule I would always fit as large a servo as possible. Due to the increased potential for gear problems as the size diminishes.

They are programmable, and as standard probably have too much throw - it would probably be worth reprogramming down to a usable amount.

Does anyone know if down rating the movement will have any effect on the torque etc?
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:42 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
I dunno Mike. I thought they had the same movement as a normal servo, to be honest. Do you reckon it's more? In terms of the typhoon the model has short horns in the wing. I also got a lot of throw so I went to 5mm arms on the aileron servos with ball links. With a 7mm arm it was something like +-30mm of aileron throw, but like i said the aileron horn is pretty short too.
Last edited by satinet; Dec 07, 2009 at 03:52 PM.