HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 03:38 PM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
460 Posts
My view is that we all go into this with open eyes these days. We benefit from the pricing. Occasionally things don't go right. We all have to make our own call as to if the risk is worth it.

Have you tried contacting http://www.x-flight.com.hk or http://proedf.com re a spare canopy?

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
I will.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old May 31, 2012, 04:02 PM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Stuart, I tried both but got no reply. Think I'll try again.
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:41 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985 View Post
Yes, I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from them in the past. You would think dropping a plastic canopy in my next order would be no big deal. I have placed a few orders since but not nearly what I had been. I'm sure the money they saved by not making that $0.50 part right has been worth it to them It is going to suck when I finally finish the thing to have a nice looking jet and a cracked up canopy. I even offered to purchase a replacement. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open.
seadog
if all you need is the plastic canopy and have the old broken one these guys can make you a new one from yours pretty inexpensively, I have use them and they are great
http://www.parkflyerplastics.com/cart/

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:14 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Thanks John, I emailed them some time ago about it but got no response. I'll try again. Have been working on a boat but am getting the itch to finish my cmp t-45 and get started on the F-18.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:51 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
No reply (again) from X-flight or Pro EDF reguarding me buying a canopy for the F-18. I did get a response from Park Flyer Plastics and they are going to reproduce the canopy and only charge me for the canopies, not the tooling I have noted others that had cracked canopies so keep your eyes on their website. I'm sending them my canopy and will post it when they finish. Now I can get motivated to build this thing now that it won't have that big eye sore sitting on top. Thanks Park Flyer Plastics, and thanks to John for getting me to try them again.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
Are you using the cockpit kit or simple canopy frame? The canopies are a little different when cut. I would like a replacement for mine too.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985 View Post
No reply (again) from X-flight or Pro EDF reguarding me buying a canopy for the F-18. I did get a response from Park Flyer Plastics and they are going to reproduce the canopy and only charge me for the canopies, not the tooling I have noted others that had cracked canopies so keep your eyes on their website. I'm sending them my canopy and will post it when they finish. Now I can get motivated to build this thing now that it won't have that big eye sore sitting on top. Thanks Park Flyer Plastics, and thanks to John for getting me to try them again.
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
I removed the canopy from the wood frame and am going to send it to them to be copied. Once done I figure we will have to trim it before attaching it to the frame, not a big deal. I have ordered canopies from them before and the plastic they use is much more flexable than the crappy one that came with the plane.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
806 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good and reliable retracts and structs for this F-18? seems like the HK retracts are not really that good. and the eflite 15-25 nose LG can also breaks as highlighted a few pages back in this thread.

Pls kindly advise. tks!!
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,250 Posts
I've used the Eflite 15-25s in mine and the nose gear was never an issue. Spring Air 602s or Tams retracts would work great, I have a set of each and they are both nice. The 602's are a little heavier but are more robust. You should never have an issue with the Eflite nose gear but the mains could be damaged in a hard landing since the gear mount front to back as opposed to side to side.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:37 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Park Flyer Plastics has the canopy on their website already. Price is just $5.00. Can't beat that with a stick. My order is on the way. I'll post some pics of the finished product. Time to start thinking about my build
http://www.parkflyerplastics.com/cart/
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
460 Posts
Good to know there are spares out there.

I wonder if they would make up a dual cockpit version to match x-flights F-18F cockpit.

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
I think they would need a copy of an original canopy. They took my busted single seat canopy and made a copy and only chanrged me the cost of the canopy itself. Pretty good if you ask me.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
I've used the Eflite 15-25s in mine and the nose gear was never an issue. Spring Air 602s or Tams retracts would work great,%2pI have a set of each and they are both nice. The 602's are a little heavier but are more robust. You should never have an issue with the Eflite nose gear but the mains could be damaged in a hard landing since the gear mount front to back as opposed to side to side.
thanks for the recommendation. btw i keep hving my nose retract's inner rod bent, the rod that which the nose strut is inserted to..
anyway to reinforce it to prevent any further bending?
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
I just got mine in the mail. What do you guys think about attaching the rear stabs and cutting in elevators in the conventional method? Only reason I ask is because I've had issues with full flying stabs. Do you think I would have enough control surface?
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle