HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:33 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Yep, shame. Flew good but he seemed to drop the gear and set up landing at a pretty low altitude. They are cheap so it's an inexpensive replacment as long as everything else is ok.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:21 AM
Sverige, Jämtlands län, Krokom
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
Hello,
Have been reading this thread with great interest. My F18 was sent from HK last week so I am just now waiting...I have also had bad experience with HK and have got a Viper 70 in my hobbyroom that is wrecked in the freight from HongKong. It is realy a shame that it is impossible to deal with HK when something goes wrong, I realy hope for this one. I am not yet sure what way to go with this one, a 6-cell or a 8-cell setup. As always first priority is low weight and therefore please give me some input. What fan-motor-ESC- battery combination will make this one light and still give fair performence and no heat issue? I will do the trusttube-modification so it will match the fan I will install.

Robert
RobKro is offline Find More Posts by RobKro
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
Hello,
Today I have got my F18 from HK and of course the fuselage was full of small cracks. I can not understand why sutch a big company can´t use fair cardridge-boxes to send such fragile items in. The boxes they use is just a big joke!!! I t is no big deal to repair it but I also have to repaint it all. The tailerons is painted on mirrorlike gelcoat, no presanding at all, and the grey paint is just falling of. The bulkheads for the tailerons is very bad missdrilled so I have to drill out the brasstubes and redo it all. The tailerons has of course the issue with the lose pin and has to be opened and redone. I can´t say I am impressed. Anyway, it will be a an airplane of it after an extra month of work. I will now order a Wemo Midifan and an ARC 3655-2 and try to build a realy light 8 cell set up. I plan to not use any retracts now and it will be bungiestart as I mostly will fly it from a grassfield. For you that plan to by the F18 from HK, be aware, it is a big risk to get freight damage due to there very weak parcels.
/Robert
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:25 PM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
926 Posts
I was lucky this time around. My F/A-18 came in ok.

Robkro,

"The tailerons is painted on mirrorlike gelcoat, no presanding at all, and the grey paint is just falling of."

Looks just like the same problem with the Viperjet. the paintjob on the flying surfaces just cracks/chips/fall off so easily. I have stripped the covering off my Viper and plan to glass it.
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
Hm, I am still walking around in my workshop and feel upset, freight damages is so frustrating...
They have painted the flying surfaces that is covered with Oracover or something similar. That could have been ok if they had gone over it with a 600 wetsand-paper first, but now the paint just falls of. It is best to do as you say, rip it of, glass it or just cover it with Oracover again. I am so afraid of extra weight on this one so it could be best to cover the flying surfaces and the tailerons with Oracover in a different colour, then it is possible to gain weight and also get good visibility at the same time. With the Wemo/ARC 3655-2 combination I will get the lightest possible 8 cell-setup and also low amps. I have to keep the weight well under 3,5 kg, so it will be no retracts and i will bungiestart to begin with. Later, if it feels ok, I may be install retracts and possibly move up to a 9 cell setup. That should be possible I think and it would make it a realy hot bird.
/Robert
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:21 AM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
926 Posts
I was hopping mad too when my Viper arrived with a cracked nose, rudder and fuselage. Plus paint chipping/falling off on the flying surfaces.

Ordering this F/A-18 was a gamble.

I think the F/A-18 Grey heatshrink film covering should not be a problem to get. The Viper's Copper Brown does not exist. Once covered with glass I am enlisting a friend who does car spraying to computer match the copper brown of my viper. At the moment, I am looking for a suitable retract for the Viper/FA-18. Contemplating bungee launching too.
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Old May 30, 2012, 09:04 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Since this has come up again, mine arrived with a badly busted canopy. If someone has managed to wreck their plane but the canopy survived and they wish to get rid of it let me know. You all can imagine my luck getting one from Hobby Kong.
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
Old May 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Just plane addicted!
Monterey, CA
Joined Jan 2007
161 Posts
Seadog... I ordered the ProDesign Mig 15 from HK and the canopy arrived damaged. I took a photo of it, submitted a customer service request with HK and uploaded the photo. They approved the request in a few days and said I would receive a new one. And believe it or not I did receive a new one in perfect condition - it might have taken a month or so, but the system does work.

At the least - file a request with HK and see if you can get one here in the mean time.

For all the bad rap HK gets, they are improving their Customer Service and their products. Think back just 3 years ago how things were - they've come a ways.
RobNHood is offline Find More Posts by RobNHood
Old May 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Well guys with so many other big projects on the horizon I think I am going to sell mine. I will post it in the classifieds once I get a chance to take some pics and box it up. I liquid sheeted my wings and stabs and Im going to sell it complete with power system..... I like the way my second one flew but I have about 5 other bigger jets in the cue before it and dont think I will really ever get around to it....
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old May 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Rob, did all that and they just kept putting up more hoops for me to jump thru. The plane had some cracks which I told them was fine I would fix but they kept giving me the run around , I think so I would just go away. This was my first and last dealing with their "service" department. I just don't buy anything fragile from Hobby Kong anymore.

Oh, I've had my plane a year or more but haven't gotten to it yet. Knowing that it would have an ugly, cracked canopy kind of tempered my desire to jump on it.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985 View Post
Since this has come up again, mine arrived with a badly busted canopy. If someone has managed to wreck their plane but the canopy survived and they wish to get rid of it let me know. You all can imagine my luck getting one from Hobby Kong.
seadog, you inspired me to send HK another follow-up. I have this F-18 (two of them, actually) for a year now (ordered in June, 2011). Both arrived with broken canopies. I keep getting the "we'll check" and "no update" from them... Another plane I ordered arrived at the wrong version. Still waiting. To be honest, I'm about to buy another plane, but I'm really concerned about ordering it from them.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old May 31, 2012, 06:39 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Yes, I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from them in the past. You would think dropping a plastic canopy in my next order would be no big deal. I have placed a few orders since but not nearly what I had been. I'm sure the money they saved by not making that $0.50 part right has been worth it to them It is going to suck when I finally finish the thing to have a nice looking jet and a cracked up canopy. I even offered to purchase a replacement. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:49 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
The reply I got:

Hi Yoram ,
Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.

Sorry for bring your inconvenient. Please be advised that our merchandising department has request for replacement part from manufacturer . And we have promised that once we get the replacement part, we will ship it to customers at no cost. So we just appreciate your understanding regarding this matter. And we apologize sincerely for any inconvenience caused to you. We fully understand that time is valuable to you as to all of our customers as well. But could you please kindly wait? We will follow your replacement, and send it to you once we get it. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks for emailing support.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Regards.
Matthew
HobbyKing Support Team
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old May 31, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
The reply I got:

Hi Yoram ,
Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.

Sorry for bring your inconvenient. Please be advised that our merchandising department has request for replacement part from manufacturer . And we have promised that once we get the replacement part, we will ship it to customers at no cost. So we just appreciate your understanding regarding this matter. And we apologize sincerely for any inconvenience caused to you. We fully understand that time is valuable to you as to all of our customers as well. But could you please kindly wait? We will follow your replacement, and send it to you once we get it. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks for emailing support.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Regards.
Matthew
HobbyKing Support Team
I got the same reply for my 90mm CS fan that one of the short of one adaptor. They (HK) cs will ask you many questions and pictures that will keep you busy and later, no follow up from them.

If you email them again, you will get the same reply as above. Looks like these are program replies...

I try not to order from them as much as possible nowadays.
genghiskt is offline Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old May 31, 2012, 11:58 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
A shame too. They have so much stock and at good prices.