SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Yes, a 4S and 3S in series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Nice specs Matt! Just goes to show you how far off fancalc can be! Looking forward to seeing some pics and hear about the Maiden. We are getting slammed with rain in San Diego as well, fingers crossed that I can fly this weekend.

Brian

Oh by the way did you go 3s 5000 and 4s 5000 in series?
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Fiberglass panel adhesive works well on formers and doesn't drip all inside the fuse like that epoxy job you got there. Try giving Bounty some business.
Also if you tape off the areas you're gonna cut layout then score the lines a few times with a blade before letting that chain saw get to that nice glass work.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:56 AM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
MAtt, Have you done a power test, If you hold plane in hand with the nose straight up and give it full throttle will it stay a float if you let go? Or does it fall back. Do you also have a scale to weigh the plane with batteries and everyhing inside? A ready to fly weight basically. I would greatly appreciate some numbers and like to see if plane can hold it self up with out falling back.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Read back to post #56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_dad View Post
MAtt, Have you done a power test, If you hold plane in hand with the nose straight up and give it full throttle will it stay a float if you let go? Or does it fall back. Do you also have a scale to weigh the plane with batteries and everyhing inside? A ready to fly weight basically. I would greatly appreciate some numbers and like to see if plane can hold it self up with out falling back.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:30 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Looks like they have made a recent design change to this plane, Matt's came with 9 gram size servo cutouts for the tailerons but mine has std size servo cutouts and the manual now states std size servos with metal gears are required. Sounds like the 9 gram setups didn't hold up. I worked on my retracts with the prodesign struts last night, some people complained about the size of the front tire that comes with the struts, well with a little grinding you can easily fit the front tire that goes with the fixed gear that came with the plane, it looks more scale. Hey Matt an chance we could get u to post some pics from inside the plane, I'd like to see your retract and esc setups.

Brian
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Last edited by bri6672; Jan 25, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:22 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Thankyou for weight numbers, now how about the thrust check, will the plane hover at full throttle or fall back?

I have a f18 from ejf, weight is 6.5lbs with batteries, jetscreamer 1400 on 6s and HET fan, wish I used the midi, or rc lander maybe Ill change, got a static thrust of 3.10lbs, made 1100watts, and drew only 52amps, Swicthed to 8s same setup made 5.6lbs of thrust and drew 82amps, made close to 2000watts. I'm over voltage on motor but drawin correct amps.

flew it with 6s setup the plane flys great but not a speed demon like in real life barely enough power to hand launch, Matt I'm thinkking your going to need more Crystals to have any type of fun. Of course all my test are done on a watt meter and static thrust on scale, Im going to out plane on scale with nose, zero scale, then hit the gas maybe I can see what thrust it will have installed.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
I am running 7S at 1900+ watts 175mph+ efflux. Motor and esc are capable of 8S but not going there until I get some flight behind her. I do not have a way to measure thrust right now. Might buy a fish scale in the future but what I have found is that efflux v is more important for my jets than static thrust. I don't plan on hoovering my F-18.

Will get some more picutes up soon. Maybe even a vid of my mixing to enable 2 flight modes. Its pretty cool
Flight mode 1 std elevator and ailerons
Flight mode 2 tailerons, ailerons, plus flaps for landing.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Thankyou for weight numbers, now how about the thrust check, will the plane hover at full throttle or fall back?

I have a f18 from ejf, weight is 6.5lbs with batteries, jetscreamer 1400 on 6s and HET fan, wish I used the midi, or rc lander maybe Ill change, got a static thrust of 3.10lbs, made 1100watts, and drew only 52amps, Swicthed to 8s same setup made 5.6lbs of thrust and drew 82amps, made close to 2000watts. I'm over voltage on motor but drawin correct amps.

flew it with 6s setup the plane flys great but not a speed demon like in real life barely enough power to hand launch, Matt I'm thinkking your going to need more Crystals to have any type of fun. Of course all my test are done on a watt meter and static thrust on scale, Im going to out plane on scale with nose, zero scale, then hit the gas maybe I can see what thrust it will have installed.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Yes, they do listen to there customers and have made some changes to thier planes.

Matt

Quote:
Looks like they have made a recent design change to this plane, Matt's came with 9 gram size servo cutouts for the tailerons but mine has std size servo cutouts and the manual know states std size servos with metal gears are required. Sounds like the 9 gram setups didn't hold up. I worked on my retracts with the prodesign struts last night, some people complained about the size of the front tire that comes with the struts, well with a little grinding you can easily fit the front tire that goes with the fixed gear that came with the plane, it looks more scale. Hey Matt an chance we could get u to post some pics from inside the plane, I'd like to see your retract and esc setups.

Brian
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinAZ View Post
Yes, they do listen to there customers and have made some changes to thier planes.

Matt
Its nice to see that they are making an effort unlike some companies! So far I am pretty happy with my build, retracts are in and struts and they seem to work well. I am mounting the taileron bearing boxes, definitly a delicate process!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Beef that taileron install up. They dont get that us crazy americans like everything way overpowered. Good luck on yours. Its still raining here and I dont think I am going to get a maiden in this weekend might have to wait unitl Monday.

Matt

Quote:
Its nice to see that they are making an effort unlike some companies! So far I am pretty happy with my build, retracts are in and struts and they seem to work well. I am mounting the taileron bearing boxes, definitly a delicate process!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:53 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:

So how did it fly on 8s, the thrust to weight ratio should make that thing an all out rocket!!! Also you have a jet screamer motor so are you running a 70mm fan instead of the 90mm or did you just decide to use the smaller motor?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:01 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinAZ View Post
Beef that taileron install up. They dont get that us crazy americans like everything way overpowered. Good luck on yours. Its still raining here and I dont think I am going to get a maiden in this weekend might have to wait unitl Monday.

Matt
Im on it man, they are really weak with the stock install, I used the little balsa blocks they give you for your aileron servos and epoxied them in key points to beef it up, I think I am going to get some different linkages because the stock ones are giving me some slop, oh and I ended up going with the hs-645mg high torque servos (I think you used these as well), they are a bit heavy but super powerfull at 106-133oz in torque. We are getting pounded on with rain in San Diego as well, bummed cause I thought I might be able to sneak out and fly my ME109
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
Came across this video. Hopefully we will see here more soon.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQzOTEwMjAw.html
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhoud View Post
Came across this video. Hopefully we will see here more soon.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQzOTEwMjAw.html
Seen that one a couple of times, I would like to know what power system the are running cause it seems to be performing pretty well!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Finished the F-18 last night. Will take a few pics tonight and post them. The plan is to maiden it tomorrow or Thursday before the AZ Electric Festival.

Matt