HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2009, 10:53 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
No pictures tonight, although I did install the aileron servos, linkage, etc and the taileron HS85's tonight. Started working on the fan they sent me. Mounted motor, fan. WIll do some run ups tomorrow.

Test fitted some Het Retracts in her which fit perfectly but I am concerned that they will not carry the weight. I have a set of 602's which I will test fit tomorrow.

Matt
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:10 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,952 Posts
Matt,
What power system are you going with?
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Dec 08, 2009, 08:51 AM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Matt,
Bob
Bob,

I think the motor is a turnigy motor. 1600kv - 1900...dont remember. But the fan is a 6 bladed fan. Looks familiar.
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Last edited by lashmett75; Dec 08, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:34 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
Zach, are you using that godawful built up from straight sections exhaust pipe that HET posted a while back for the single HET F-18? That was really bad, maybe better than no exhaust tube at all but with those straight sections and sharp corners there'd be lots of turbulence. Maybe that's why your performance is less than you want? I haven't been keeping track of the 90mm Het F-18 lately, I remember someone had been supplied a split exhaust for a 70mm fan, who knows where that came from. Did that ever get straightened out, does the kit come with a proper layed up fiberglass split exhaust? Ok I just checked, the last post in the HET F-18 thread is from Sep 30th.

I just did the math again real quick, the Midi is 7.76 sq inches in FSA, take 90 percent of that for the exhaust (or do 85 if you like for a bit higher efflux), multiply 7.76 x .85, take that result which is the desired exhaust area, divide by two for a split exhaust to get the area of one side, divide that area by 3.14 and that find the square root of that result and you get a radius of 1.05 inches or a 2.1" exhaust diameter for each exhaust tube exit for a 90% FSA exhaust.

Sorry if I got off topic....
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 08, 2009, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
I am going with the setup it came with. Looks like a Midi fan clone 6 blades not dynamically balanced so I had to balance it myself. The motor is a Turnegy 1800KV. I plan on running it with a CC80 and 6S5000 battery. If it tests out on the stand ok will put it in the plane. If I dont like what I see or hear will order a Midifan and maybe a ARC or Het motor of about the same KV. Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Matt,
Bob
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:15 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,952 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Another option is a Hacker B50-15L(1660 kv) or 10XL on 6S also a 13XL(1300 kv) on 8S. I'm going to try a Hacker B50-9XL(1880 kv)/Midi fan on 6S in my Super Sniper.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:16 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Ed,

The plane had poor directions, most of the instructions where for a 70mm setup. The inlet look really good though. It had a black composite/fiberglass that made a single to a twin. the directions said to make your own pipe out of that clear plastic supplied with kit and print template to lay over clear plastic and cut. I could only assume that black piece was ok to use, but I did not like how small and quickly the open for the 90mm got right away. Lets say the plane looks like this, 90mm fan, then about 2.0inch of room before it hook to outlet pipe. between the 2.0inches I would say it goes down to the size of a 70mm with a nice split, I'll bring some calipers from work tomarrow and measure, I measured motor performance in plane with 6s and 8s setup. The 6s with 6s and 3300Mah battery it made exactly the same power as the 4370mah 6s batteries I had 56Amps and 1200 watts, I hooked up the 8s and got 81amps and 2400 watts of power.

I would go with the Lander 8s system If I was Matt! 2400 watts and 60 something Amp draw.

His weight is really high, 6s 5000mah is close to an 8s 3700 mah, he can save weight and gan more power by upping the voltage .

Ducting or no ducting he's gonna need to make 7lbs of thrust. or better installed not on a bench test.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:22 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,795 Posts
I was looking at the 8S Lander fan option too....

depends on battery room....
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:57 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Look at amp Draw of 65 amps for the lander 8s, you can get away with smaller batteries 2500 or 3300mah compared to the 6s draw of 80 amps 4400mah battery. I like to give my self about 20amps lee away, if it says 82.5 cont. on battery then I try and pull no more than 60 or 65 amps Keeps batteries from puffing! Plus the less weight mean that it will fly faster at lower throttle setings hence less battery consumption, flight time should will not be as long but light plane is better in long run until these fans can become more efficient.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Dec 08, 2009, 06:36 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Are the wings built-up balsa/ribs/spars or balsa over foam ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murray View Post
Are the wings built-up balsa/ribs/spars or balsa over foam ?

Balsa over foam with end ribs and spar box.

Matt
Last edited by MattinAZ; Dec 09, 2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added info
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Last night I got the fan balanced and put together the EDF assembly.

Epoxied 1 of the taileron block/former into place. I am going to reinforce the areas circled in red with some addition wood stock and make two sets.

The way the taileron bulkead is now is pretty strong but I want to beef this area up a bit now that I see it installed.

Will complete more work tonight.

Matt
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:21 PM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Looking good Matt. Some triangle stock should do the job.

How do the main retracts fit in that thing? I thought the mounting blocks looked way too far forward, just behind the inlets, but maybe it's just me.

Also, How do you balance your rotors? I read on a different thread where they mount the rotor backwards on the fan (pusher config) and apparently, just hold the fan while running the motor to feel for vibrations. Add tape, and repeat until the vibration is gone.

Sounds simple enough, but I worry about A, holding the fan in my hand (they do emphasize not to run it WOT), and B, that I could hold it too firmly and warp it, causing the blades to rub on the fan housing .
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
The main retract blocks are in perfect position if the CG in the manual is correct, which looks about right. The CG looks forward when you look at the "wings" but you have to add in the lifting area of the front flairs which are huge. What are those things called? Lex's?

I balance my fans on a prop balancer that has been great for props but not as precise for fans. I have a magnetic balancer coming from TF that is suppossed to be ultra sensative.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhiphop View Post

How do the main retracts fit in that thing? I thought the mounting blocks looked way too far forward, just behind the inlets, but maybe it's just me.

Also, How do you balance your rotors? I read on a different thread where they mount the rotor backwards on the fan (pusher config) and apparently, just hold the fan while running the motor to feel for vibrations. Add tape, and repeat until the vibration is gone.

Sounds simple enough, but I worry about A, holding the fan in my hand (they do emphasize not to run it WOT), and B, that I could hold it too firmly and warp it, causing the blades to rub on the fan housing .
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:36 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhiphop View Post

Make a jig to hold the edf unit. I have done the reverse bladed thing, and it works. I usually go down a cell to balance, just to be safe. when I get it balanced then I use the cell count I had planned for flights.
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75