HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:51 PM
pilot
Joined Aug 2009
200 Posts
Discussion
I got an msr!!

Well about a month ago I went and purchased an mcx. I had fun with it, but it got a little boring, so I decided to go buy myself an msr today. AMAZING!!! I have flown 5 flights, and i'm still not great at it, but its really fun. My hands are sweating like crazy when I fly it, and I need to get a neck strap for my dx7 for the first time.

For all the beginners, I definitely recommend a mcx, then an msr. You need to get down the rudder/throttle stick control, and practice changing direction quick.

The msr in my view is crazy fast, on my half rates it goes way too fast.

And and for all of you who said " helis have got him, its too late to stop the urge" after I got my mcx, well sadly you were horribly right.

For all you with aftermarket radios, I have heard about people saying you need to disable some mixes for way better flying. My dx7 has only had the rates set for the heli, what mixing changes should I make for better flight if there are any?
jbat35 is offline Find More Posts by jbat35
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbat35 View Post
Well about a month ago I went and purchased an mcx. I had fun with it, but it got a little boring, so I decided to go buy myself an msr today. AMAZING!!! I have flown 5 flights, and i'm still not great at it, but its really fun. My hands are sweating like crazy when I fly it, and I need to get a neck strap for my dx7 for the first time.

For all the beginners, I definitely recommend a mcx, then an msr. You need to get down the rudder/throttle stick control, and practice changing direction quick.

The msr in my view is crazy fast, on my half rates it goes way too fast.

And and for all of you who said " helis have got him, its too late to stop the urge" after I got my mcx, well sadly you were horribly right.

For all you with aftermarket radios, I have heard about people saying you need to disable some mixes for way better flying. My dx7 has only had the rates set for the heli, what mixing changes should I make for better flight if there are any?

Sounds great jbat!. Glad you are enjoying your mSR . I love mine as much as the very first MIA Palm-Size heli (My avatar) I designed back many years ago, when these little guys Walkeras 4#3s , mCX, mSRs were only a dream. When you get a little more confortable with your new mSR, you might want to check out what I amd others are doing with mSRs. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103073
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:07 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
901 Posts
Congratts! Great little birds. Now I am a n00b but what I have set on my mSR you may not like for yours. I have almost 400 flights on it and maybe 80 with my DX6i now.
For indoors with small rooms I have no mixing on and my other settings are:
Expo
AILE -25%
ELEV -25%
RUDD -23%

Throttle curve
L=0
2=32
3=57.5
4=79
H=100

For larger rooms or outside I have the same throttle curve but:
Expo
AIEL=-59%
ELEV=-63%
RUDD=-60%

Mix1
RUDD>ELEV
D +45%
U +70%

Mix2
RUDD?AILE
L +5%
R +15%
LaserSVT is online now Find More Posts by LaserSVT
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:51 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Careful. Do not mix dx6i and dx7 settings. They are different enough that if you put in a different models settings, it could really make the heli do something you dont want it to do and possible damage to the heli from a crash.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
I don't agree about the need for disabling the yaw/elevator mixing for the mSR. The mixing is completely intentional, and makes the heli quite a bit easier to fly in some respects. The only reason to remove the mixing is if you want to make the heli fly more like a larger conventional heli in order to get practice for those. Especially for aerobatic helis, you would not want this mixing, because it would interfere with a lot of tricks. However for a small indoor FP heli like the mSR, there's really no disadvantage to having the mixing other than just that you might want to give yourself the additional challenge of flying without the mixing.

I'm an intermediate aerobatic flier with my Trex 450. I tried mixing out the rudder/elevator mixing for the mSR with my DX7, and actually liked the way it flew less, and went to back to the default. I also personally don't find the mSR to be too touchy at all, so I don't use any expo either. I found the main benefit of the DX7 over the RTF transmitter is that the sticks are just a lot more precise. I found my ability to fly precisely improved a lot just by using the DX7, even without any non-standard programming, just by having the nice springs and potentiometers on the sticks. I can see how newer fliers might like to add some expo too though. I've also read of people adding reverse expo to make the heli feel more touchy. I haven't tried that.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:49 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
I have negative expo in my dx6i. I am using -50% or more for pretty much all cyclic controls.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay