HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ecase, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:50 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,430 Posts
Discussion
My Start in RC

On Christmas Day of 2005, my brother-in-law, JP, asked if I wanted to go to a local park and watch him fly a new plane he built. The Christmas festivities were winding down and I said "sure, why not". Well, years and many dollars later, here I am. Addicted. JP is into the hobby big time. He builds large planes, some well over 100" wing span. I counted 15 small, park flyers, 5 helis and 3 large planes in his garage one day. I am not that addicted, but addicted none the less.
I have decided to stay with the planes that I can throw in the truck at a moments notice, so I am staying with the park flyers.
Here is a run down,
EasyStar-I have had four. It was my first plane and I still fly it often.
Cessna 182-My first plane with ailerons, great plane, I have had two.
Katana Mini-Bought it used from a guy and only flown it twice (sold it some months ago).
Sting-Ray-I loved this plane but it went to plane heaven out by Grantsville one day. I think that's why I don't fly the Katana much. I don't want to crash that one too.
P47-Its only been up a couple of time too.
CAP 232-Never been off the ground. I won it at an event my first year and JP said it was way beyond my abilities then. Now I have lost interest. I gave it away as a door prize at a local event.
Suhkoi-Great fun to fly if the wind is low.
Slow-Stik-I just finished it in November and haven't flown it much. I have now equipped it with lights for night flying. More info later.
I also have an Alula and am just starting to build a Weasel (7/9/10) for sloping.
The Weasel is finished and I have started flying it, great fun.
I have been fooling around with a Multiplex Fox and a 15" wing span P47. Still trying to get the to fly well.
And now for the most fun flying planes I have had - Combat!
A couple of years ago, I read in a forum that there was going to be an UnCivil War at the park on 10th West and 70th South one fall day. I went to watch. I knew right then and there I wanted to fly combat wings. Now I am addicted to that too. I have three wings now and fly them often. Great fun.
I got a Radian Pro for Christmas this year, 2010 and its quickly becoming my favorite plane. Trying to find thermals and stay aloft without using the motor is my new goal.
Well, that's my history.
ecase is online now Find More Posts by ecase
Last edited by ecase; Apr 30, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
Bruce
AF, Utah, USA
Joined Nov 2009
26 Posts
Evan,
Was out at the sod farm yesterday and the thermals were the best yet. I ended up being the last to leave at around 3 pm. We flew off the north most patch of grass(strip closest to the paved road). There is a very wide swath of plowed ground to the south now and the south breeze blew the thrmals across the grassy area. Conditions were great for the radian pro. Just thought I'd let you now.

Bruce
bchatch is offline Find More Posts by bchatch
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Bruce
AF, Utah, USA
Joined Nov 2009
26 Posts
Evan,
As I drove out of the sod farm Saturday, I niticed another well formed dust devel moving across the unplanted part of the filed over by the power lines. the dust from the field made it stand out nicely. How did your RP flying go? Did you get some long flights in?
bchatch is offline Find More Posts by bchatch
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,430 Posts
I had major problems right from the start. When I launched the plane, I had very little power and very nearly lost the RP by hitting the sprinkler pipes, but I got it back in one piece. Got back to my truck and tested it. The motor was pulsing and little power. I decided to change the battery and try again with the same result, only this time, it quit responding at all. I was really disappointed as Bernie and I could still feel the wind gushing into the thermals.
This morning, I tried again in the garage, no response at all from the RP and the battery showed a full charge. BUT, when I tried to unplug it from the ESC one of the wires pulled on the plug. I tested the first battery today and it was nearly dead, that's why the flight was so poor and when I tried the second battery the connection was bad. I put it a third, fully charged battery and everything seemed fine.

I found this quote in the RP thread,
"Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC)
When a Li-Po battery is discharged below 3V per cell, it will not hold a charge.
The ESC protects the flight battery from over-discharge using Low Voltage Cutoff
(LVC). Before the battery charge decreases too much, LVC removes power
supply from the motor. Power to the motor pulses, showing that some battery
power is reserved for flight control and safe landing.

When the motor pulses, please land the aircraft immediately and recharge the
flight battery. Disconnect and remove the Li-Po battery from the aircraft after use to prevent
trickle discharge. For short term storage keep batteries fully charged. For long
term storage keep 1/2 charged. During storage make sure battery charge does
not go below 3V per cell."

I am going to bring it to the swarm next week and see it I can fly it again if the thermals are popping. Hope to see you there.
ecase is online now Find More Posts by ecase
Last edited by ecase; Sep 16, 2012 at 04:01 PM.