HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2009, 11:14 PM
Australia
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
Discussion
Coax 370 brushless conversion

I'm looking into possibly going to a brushless system on my Walkera 53Q3. I wanted to know what people think of the complete brushless kits like the ones they sell on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180418468820

Does anyone know if there are any problems with any of the components used, and for those of you that have purchased one of these, would you recommend it?

I don't want to spend too much on my coax, so I wanted to know if these are good value for money.

Cheers.
Fly-a-kite is offline Find More Posts by Fly-a-kite
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:29 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
Kite,

The only real issues I've heard of with the AEO kit is some minor issues with the BSC's. I chose to go down the buy my own individual parts route asing the AEO converters and Turnigy 25A plush controllers (so I can program them) with some 3000KV Turnigy motors. works a treat on my 400D. The tail has the occasional twitch but nothing serious. This is due to the speed of the converters being a bit slow I suspect. I'm just working on my 53Q3 now with the same combo. That ebay kit is pretty much whats used on the esky big lama (500) and most people are pretty happy with it.

Mark

PS. I have the 5#10 kit from AEO and it's great. I still may go to Turnigy BSC's on this as well due to the programability.
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:43 PM
Australia
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
Cool, thanks Mark.

I have a 10% off voucher on ebay that expires in a week, so I think I'll use it and see how it goes. Those stock motors do get pretty hot.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:05 AM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
462 Posts
I have the AEO 370 brushless kit on my E-Sky Big Lama. So far the motors are doing well, the speed controllers do well but can get a little warm, and the converters are the weak link, in my opinion. Some say it's because they are slow, but I have no way to confirm that.

When giving a boost of throttle to gain quick altitude the tail does the fish-tail thing. And when doing forward cyclic and right or left cyclic at the same time to turn a sort-of banked circle the tail does the same thing. Have turned down my gain to almost nothing but still same symptom.

I could not use the motor pinions that came with the kit because they were very loose on the motor shaft. So plan on buying different pinions. I used E-Sky 10 tooth (EK1-0352) for 2.3 mm shaft. You need the pinion with no set screw, because the kind with set screw will interfere with other gear.

Hope this helps.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Dec 07, 2009, 09:10 AM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
Hi I did a brushless Blazing star and a 53#1 the same basic heli as yours I used a duel converter from ebay Item #320456062441 a very fast nice converter. I then used 10 amp pentium esc's so I could program the throttle points and tapper the voltage off when the battery gets weak. For motors I used the Alpha 250's I found them on a site for $10 they have more than enough power and after everything is put together nothing gets even warm and it increases flight time. You can see it on rchelitalk.com look under builds and mods on about the third page back under Rays Blazing Star mods good luck..
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:39 AM
Australia
Joined Aug 2009
125 Posts
Thanks for the information guys.

I really don't want to go through all the trouble of soldering and what-not involved with hooking up individual components. I don't want to spend too much money on this already expensive toy either.

So I'll either go ahead and buy this kit, or simply wait until I have burned out the stock motors and make a decision then (probably the wisest option). As for the pinions, I have heard that you can simply re-use the stock ones by drilling them out slightly.

I am so indecisive about these things - only time will tell.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:24 AM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
462 Posts
Don't worry, your stock brushed motors will burn out fairly soon. So that will push you into either buying more stock motors or changing to brushless.

After a flight, make a habit of touching each motor with a finger to see how warm it is. After awhile, you'll notice the motors getting hotter than before. That's your signal it's about over.

And you will buy yourself some time if you have heat sinks (aluminum fins) on each motor.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber