HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:05 AM
Joined Dec 2009
64 Posts
Help!
Are there ANY mid-sized bush planes out there???

After months of searching the internet for any trace of an authentic bush or STOL plane, I am on the edge of giving up. Not to sound picky, but I have an extremely tight criteria for what I would prefer. I am looking for for a (preferrably) trycicle gear plane (BIIIG tires) , 40-50 inch wingspan, 5 channels which means flaps, and (preferrably, but not required) a Cessna model anywhere between a 150 and a 210, a maule, or a super cub. Anyone have suggestions?
perfectlanding is offline Find More Posts by perfectlanding
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Did you see Pat Tritles 5ch 53" Super Cub Bush Plane build?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663317

I know - 3" outside your spec, but still worth considering IMHO...

T
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:47 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Tricycle landing gear means 2 mains and a nosewheel. Are you sure you're not confusing tricycle and tail-dragger? Most bush planes are tail-draggers when they're not on floats:

DHC-2 Beaver
DHC-3 Otter
Piper J3 Cub
Piper PA-18 Super Cub
Noordyn Norseman
AVIAT Husky

Not too many ARFs with flaps in that size range, but you could add flaps to any of the Hobby-Lobby Pilot-1 high-wingers. With big tires, any of the Stinsons or Pipers would look very bush-like.

There are a number of beaver kits out there in your size range, but most of them don't really look like a beaver. I'll second the Tritle Cub, but Hobby-Lobby also has a 48" span Super Cub kit that's apparently pretty good.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:50 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlanding View Post
After months of searching the internet for any trace of an authentic bush or STOL plane, I am on the edge of giving up. Not to sound picky, but I have an extremely tight criteria for what I would prefer. I am looking for for a (preferrably) trycicle gear plane (BIIIG tires) , 40-50 inch wingspan, 5 channels which means flaps, and (preferrably, but not required) a Cessna model anywhere between a 150 and a 210, a maule, or a super cub. Anyone have suggestions?
The Maule and Supercub are taildraggers. There are lots of Supercubs out there and all you have to do is stick tundra tires or skis on and you have a bush plane.

There are some great videos (I think on You Tube) that someone posted on the Micro RTF site of a Supercub landing contest on tundra tires. Fantastic stuff these guys do. At least the ones who didn't nose over. I've also seen a video of someone landing on water using tundra tires and planing over to a sandbar that was too small to land on.

Hmm... maybe I should get tundra tires for my Dave Patrick Supercub?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 06, 2009, 02:21 PM
Lester, Al
Joined Mar 2005
600 Posts
Go to the Top Notch Products web site and look at his electric Bush Hawk which is a model of a modern Bush Plane. I understand he is also doing a large gas version.

http://www.topnotchkits.com/index_files/TN_Kit7.htm

I have the kit but have not built it due to the bench being covered up with my own projects.

It is a full kit complete with vacuformed windows and windscreen along with the fiberglass cowl. It uses a 480 sized electric.
pipescs is offline Find More Posts by pipescs