aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Christen Eagle Aerobatic Micro plane EPP Kit w/ Motor & ESC

Does anyone have one of these?

from here: Hobby King

I have had so much fun in the last 3 days flying the Parkzone Mustang, but I love the look of biplanes. Not really interested in the 4-site, so maybe this one will be good for me?
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
TopFoam,

I am also looking seriously at buying this HC Christen Eagle micro. What are your comments on the plane since your posting of 12/5/09? conRman
ConRman is offline Find More Posts by ConRman
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
I bought one of those planes last year. Overall it's pretty disappointing. The included speed control burnt out prior to the first flight. Then the motor went. The ailerons are too small. It's fragile. The lower wing has a lot of camber so it's not a very acrobatic plane. I think the 4-Site would be a much better bipe.
jack.makrl is offline Find More Posts by jack.makrl
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:00 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
My Eagle came with a bad motor, but I swapped in an AP05. Killer power. The weaknesses of the plane are as follows:
1. The plane has way too much dihedral if built to plan. Make longer wing struts to take the dihedral out.
2. The landing gear is weak, and there's not really any good way to mount it without doing some serious surgery. Consider leaving it off, unless you are insistent on ROG takeoffs.
3. The aileron area is inadequate for extreme aerobatics. Either make bigger ailerons or aileron extensions.
4. The supplied control horns are fragile and not adjustable. Supply your own.

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying the plane. It's very fun to fly. It does amazing snap rolls, due to the ample rudder area. It is too stable for hard acro, but on the other hand, you can let anyone with 4-channel experience have a go at the sticks. Chicks dig it because it's cute! Just my observations. For the money, it's not bad.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2