SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5 Posts
MinimumWage,

Thanks for advice

I was getting ready to buy a Charger - the Alula is my only Plane except for two RTF Hobby Zone Planes: Aeobird 3 and a Mini Super Cub which came with batteries and chargers

Can I overcharge the Dream-Flight Battery with this method of will the Spektrum 6Xi Tx automatically shut off?
carter6918 is offline Find More Posts by carter6918
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:25 AM
Buellton, CA
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
Carter,

In this case you're just using the AC charge cord for the TX to trickle charge the Rx pack in the Alula, so there's no metering or auto-shutoff involved. The current is pretty low so it shouldn't cause any problems. I check my batteries from time to time just to make sure nothing is getting warm. (Even on an overnight charge they stay cool to the touch.)

You'll eventually want to get a better charger that handles all kind of batteries and lets you monitor charge current, voltage, etc. The transmitter AC adapter is just a simple alternative that's always available.

Mike Mc.
MinimumWage is offline Find More Posts by MinimumWage
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
Just ordered my alula today...lots of good info here, going to run it with a Rhino 360mAh 2S and the recommended servos.
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV + McLaren P1 = HELLA FUN
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
Woohoo! Mine just arrived today! Ordered Sep 7, Shipped Sep 10, Arrived Sep 20. Not bad for from CA to SYD.

I'm planning on building with D47s, 4xTurnigy LSD AAA, LVC/LMA/Charge jack and an Orange rx.
ecenshu is online now Find More Posts by ecenshu
Last edited by ecenshu; Sep 20, 2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Spllng
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
<<x USMC
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenshu View Post
Woohoo! Mine just arrived today! Ordered Sep 7, Shipped Sep 10, Arrived Sep 20. Not bad for from CA to SYD.

I'm planning on building with D47s, 4xTurnigy LSD AAA, LVC/LMA/Charge jack and an Orange rx.

Great! I'm also going with an HK orange rx...are you guys removing the case from the rx?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
My plan was to mount everything permanently so I don't have to open the fuselage so I will be removing all casing and wiring the battery and charge jack with minimal connectors. All depends on if the AAA pack is enough weight though.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:45 PM
Sanata Barbara,CA
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
are there any step by step threads on how to reinforce the alula? also i would love to see how you guys put in your throwing pegs. i want enough reinforcement so i can discus it and not fold the wing or rip the nose off. i am a high school baseball player so i have a pretty good are. if there is no way to modify this plane to do this what plane would you guys recommend? looking for hlg with ail, rudder,elv
thermal king16 is offline Find More Posts by thermal king16
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Everyone has their own way of reinforcing their Alula's so you'll be hard pressed to find a step by step thread. I think the lightest way to reinforce the neck is glueing couple of small carbon pushrods on each side of the pod. Work them in with a drill from the midpoint of the pod (on each side at around the edge of the skid) straight to about 3" behind the LE, then pull them out, drip some CA in the "hole" you just made, then insert the carbon rod back in.

On mine I added only one reinforcement to the tension side of the pod with a bamboo skewer sine I had no carbon rods, works perfectly, and I'm no baseball player, but I do throw mine hard. You can see the skewer reinforcement on my video starting at 5:00 minute mark:

Dream-Flight Alula Evo - My Setup (6 min 1 sec)

Since you might throw harder, if you add reinforcement as I explained above on both sides, you should have no problems. The tear on the neck of mine was formed before I added the bamboo stick.

As far as a peg, in my opinion you don't need it. Specially at first while you get the hang of throwing the Alula. All you need is some packing tape on the wingtip to give you the grip you need. Plus, adding a peg increases weight to one wing which has to be compensated on the other tip. More weight = bad for flatland thermaling.

Nonetheless, having said that, I might add it in the near future just out of curiosity to see if really makes a launch height difference now for me. Mainly because I now find that I get very similar heights when I throw running full rotation discus style or just static 180 rotation style. I think it might have to do with the limitations of the airfoil on the Alula or simply that my full rotation running discus throws just suck. Either way, I never feel a need for more grip than what I get with the packing tape.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal king16 View Post
are there any step by step threads on how to reinforce the alula? also i would love to see how you guys put in your throwing pegs. i want enough reinforcement so i can discus it and not fold the wing or rip the nose off. i am a high school baseball player so i have a pretty good are. if there is no way to modify this plane to do this what plane would you guys recommend? looking for hlg with ail, rudder,elv
Try the link in the first post of this thread. You can send a PM to extremewing and he seems always happy to help people.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418439
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
<<x USMC
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
Oh yeah... just got my alula in the mail!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
Argh! I've seemed to have misplaced my manual! and dream-flight.com are on holidays!

Does anyone have an electronic version of the Alula EVO manual they can share? I could only find the original version 1 manual online
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,308 Posts
If one does not show up before this evening, I will PDF my manual & post it, if it is different than the online manual.

Bob P
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I've managed to get a scan already. Build coming along nicely although it seems that my CoG can be affected a lot by just moving my battery pack 5mm forward or aft!

Not sure how I'm going to secure the pack in place without resorting to glue. I'm afraid that after a crash the battery will move and hence affect the CoG...
I only carved out the minimum amount of foam required to press fit the pack into the nose but I haven't gouged any additional depth yet, the belly doesn't seem to sit flush at the nose since the pack is bulging a bit.

Should I gouge additional depth to get the belly skid to sit flush?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
My first experience slope soaring the Alula off the beach and some buildings... I'm hooked! I could have spent all day doing that, but unfortunately had to stop. Will definitely do this again whenever I can. Portability is definitely a plus on this little awesome glider.

Here's the video from onboard and a bit from one of the balconies at the end...

Alula EVO Beach Soaring (5 min 7 sec)

Enjoy.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:42 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Here's another video of my tosses and catches of the Alula EVO. Made over several sessions, you can see the different ways and strengths I toss at. All of them fun. By the way I edited out almost all the bad catches.

Alula EVO Toss & Catch (3 min 25 sec)