HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:12 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
My Alula was getting neglected, so I did the unthinkable and decided to get some other neglected parts I had lying around and hack together an E-lula. The power system is one of those old GWS IPS drives with an 2S 800 mah li-po battery. It's just an old brushed system but it seems to have some decent pull, especially if I'm mainly just going to use it to hunt for thermals. This system should give me tons of flight time.

I had to do some surgery to create the motor mount and get the battery in the proper spot, but it seems to have worked well. AUW is now 7 oz, with the CG right on the dots. If I like it enough I'll probably get a little bit lighter battery and think about getting one of those Feigao brushless motors to replace the little brushed one in the gearbox.

Hopefully it won't be as windy tomorrow and I can try it out. If possible, I'll try to take some video of it.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 05:02 AM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Montag - if you get the chance, get a heat sink for the motor, 7x6 prop and a 300-350mAh 3 cell pack. it will be lighter, faster, less drag in glide and run cooler (odd but true). did this to my pico stick and it flew vertical. total $ layout is about $10-15 total. e converted DLGs are super fun. have a blast!
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:19 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
Montag - if you get the chance, get a heat sink for the motor, 7x6 prop and a 300-350mAh 3 cell pack. it will be lighter, faster, less drag in glide and run cooler (odd but true). did this to my pico stick and it flew vertical. total $ layout is about $10-15 total. e converted DLGs are super fun. have a blast!
Thanks for the tip. That does sound fun. Right now I'm trying this just because I had it laying around. Sure enough, it's super windy again today, but maybe it will calm down tonight.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:35 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jun 29, 2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: wrong thread!!!
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:26 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Came home from a business trip and found this in my mailbox

the scheme was done with colored packing tape and some vinyl from www.bandegraphix.com
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
I took the belly skid off of my Alula and foolishly left it on the dining table. My wife understandably thought it was some junk plastic and threw it out! I didn't feel like waiting for a new belly skid to arrive before flying it again, so I cut a seltzer bottle the best I could and taped it on. I rather like the results, and I suspect that the plane will be less likely to snap its nose off.
Snapster is offline Find More Posts by Snapster
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:46 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
And you still had to add a dimes worth of nose weight!

Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:46 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
launched my alula faster than the speed of foam today. need to spar and glue the tail now
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:21 PM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Posted this on the other alula thread, but no answers. So hoping this one may bring something:

Sorry for the newb question, but I got tired after 10 pages. Just built my first alula, and the biggest question I have after seeing lots of pics on this thread is this:

The directions call for taping the wings, nothing else.

Anyone deviate from this and use CA, or hot glue, or anything rather than just the supplied tape.

Also, on the directions it has a small velcro strap to hold the skid, but I have not seen alot of people use that. What are you all using to hold the skid.

Also, since it was just mentioned to reinforce the leading edge.....with what?

Thank you
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:30 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,308 Posts
Tape for the wings is fine, I would glue the tail.

For extra support on the inevitable nose in, tape all around the edges of the plastic canopy. A length of .030 or .040 carbon rod inserted in the foam from the nose, and thru the foam along each side of the battery compartment, as far back as the wing will also help in keeping the node from being crushed.

My leading edges show some wear after 18 months, but not enough to warrant extra reinforcements.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:45 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
I glued my wings on with a thin layer of Goop because it remains flexible, but thick CA would work.

I use tape all the way around the skid. (1/2" wide Blenderm)

As bbbp said, a couple of carbon strips to reinforce the nose. It will crack or break off right where it meets the wing if you don't, either from the occasional hard landing or lots of hard throws.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Got it. Appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:12 AM
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
maiden

Well, very light wind if any today. Flew at Harris Hill this morning before glider ops started.

I had balanced it right on.

When throwing it, it always does a loop, and seems to hunt and bobble. I think it needs more nose weight? Any further suggestions?

I'm glad I took the advice. I used two pieces of square carbon and from nose to just beyond the wing root. Can already see slight foam separation where nose meets wing root.

Any suggestions on radio setting would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
Like any plank type wing it will be very pitch sensitive. If possible, turn your throws for the elevator way down or put in a lot of exponential. It's ok to have a lot of surface movement on the ailerons, but when they are both moving together in the elevator function you don't want as much movement.

Mine did the same loop thing until I limited the elevator surface movement. As for the CG, put it right in the dimples and you will be fine. Any farther back and it gets even more pitch sensitive.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galognu View Post
Well, very light wind if any today. Flew at Harris Hill this morning before glider ops started.

I had balanced it right on.

When throwing it, it always does a loop, and seems to hunt and bobble. I think it needs more nose weight? Any further suggestions?

I'm glad I took the advice. I used two pieces of square carbon and from nose to just beyond the wing root. Can already see slight foam separation where nose meets wing root.

Any suggestions on radio setting would also be appreciated.

Thanks
I set mine up with 10% elevator trim on the throttle stick. This helps me fine tune the trim during launches. You can barely see the surfaces move through the full range of the throttle stick, but it really helps get the launches smooth.