HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2009, 04:50 AM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
as above I have performed some tests with 'Posca' art pens and have found them very satisfactory. I have posted some pics of a foam canopy with sharpie and posca to demonstrate the difference [IMG][IMG]p1010377jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:15 PM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin06 View Post
Can anyone tell me if and how I can use the DX5e to fly the Alula?
The DX5e does support elevon mixing, but there's dual rates capability. There's a single low/high rate switch, but it applies to all channels equally, and I don't know how much "low" is compared to "high".

The Alula instructions suggest 60% aileron rate and 20% elevator rate. You *might* be able to get something close to that with the DX5e's low rate setting, and choice of hole in the servo horn, but I suspect it wouldn't work well.
schamberlin is offline Find More Posts by schamberlin
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:23 PM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
My Alula is fat

Wow, my Alula needs a *lot* of nose weight to make it balance. Before balancing, it was 158g (5.6 ounces). After test weighting with a mix of coins in the battery slot and taped to the nose, it's 177g (6.25 ounces). That seems to be higher than anyone else's reported Alula weight, and I haven't even painted mine yet!

I used the stock Blueberry servos and receiver pack, along with a Spektrum 6110e receiver.

Before I make these nose weights permanent, are there any great tips for moving the CG forward without adding weight? I could maybe get the receiver another mm or two further forward, but I'm not sure the receiver is heavier than the foam I'd have to carve out to make space.

The only other option I can think of is to carve the battery compartment a little further toward the nose, and move the batteries a bit forward. That seems potentially dangerous, though, given the number of broken noses I've seen reported.

Where are people adding their nose weight? In the coin-sized slots on either side of battery?
Old Jan 01, 2010, 09:48 AM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
setting control throws with DX6i

I'm having trouble getting the recommended control throw distances with my new DX6i transmitter and new Alula. I can't get the elevons to move far enough, even after "exercising" the hell out of them to make sure they're loose.

I'm using the stock Blue Bird servos, with push-rod in the middle hole on the servo horn. Turned on elevon mixing, set dual-rates to the recommended 20% for elevator and 60% for aileron, and left all other trim/travel settings at defaults. That setup gives about 1.5mm deflection in each direction for elevator, and 4mm for aileron. The manual recommends 4mm elevator and 9mm aileron for beginners, so it's way too short.

Attempt number two, I moved the push-rod to the outermost hole on the servo horn, set travel adjust to 120% in both directions for both servos, then set dual-rates at 50% for elevator and 100% for ailerons. That setup gives about 4mm deflection in each direction for elevator, and 8mm for aileron. So it's almost there, but I have no where else to go to get more travel. I'm maxed out, yet the manual suggests 6mm elevator and 14mm aileron for advanced pilots, so it must be possible.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Edit: Will it damage the servos to set the travel adjust to 125%? Why is 100% not the maximum travel? On a powered plane, if my throttle travel adjust is "only" at 100%, will I not get max power at full throttle?
Last edited by schamberlin; Jan 01, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:08 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schamberlin View Post
Wow, my Alula needs a *lot* of nose weight to make it balance. Before balancing, it was 158g (5.6 ounces). After test weighting with a mix of coins in the battery slot and taped to the nose, it's 177g (6.25 ounces). That seems to be higher than anyone else's reported Alula weight, and I haven't even painted mine yet!
i think mine started at 5.5oz before balancing and then i added about 1/2oz. dont worry about the weight. it shouldnt be a big problem, even for flatland flying. a heavier plane will launch higher anyway. dont sweat it. just fly it
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:26 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,703 Posts
Here's mine...

It was under the tree on the 25th...

I had everything to build it in my shop - Rx, servos, etc., and had it built by the afternoon of the 26th. Then Murphy stopped by (remember him?) - turns out that the battery I going to use wouldn't take a charge. Couldn't find anything sensible for it in the local hobby stores, so it's just sitting there waiting for a couple battery packs to show up from dream-flight.

Gotta say I loved the kit. Easiest thing to build ever. The only mods did were
  • had to carve the servo wire channels to accommodate the GWS Pico's wire location
  • Added a switch jack under the decal

Other than that, it almost assembled itself. I didn't bother with sanding the molding nibs off, and just used some Sharpies to give it a little left/right asymmetry.

Till the flight report...

-matt
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:54 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,035 Posts
Matt,
that looks great! bring it out to our next eldo contest and i will bring mine again and we can play around after the contest. i really like the color scheme. it looks great!
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:58 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Hey those circles look great on there. Nice work.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:05 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,355 Posts
Love the dots!!!!!!!!!!
Did you tape or glue the wings?

Pete in Idaho
-=RCpeterV=- is online now Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:12 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,703 Posts
Thanks for the compliments - the hardest part of the build for me was how to decorate it! I don't know where the motivation for the polka-dot thing came from, but it should do the job...

@Pete - I just taped it together like the instructions told me to if it starts to come apart, I'll probably CA it...

now if I only had a battery...

-m@
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:18 AM
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Posca paints

apologies, my last attempt to post photos failed (first attempt ever) so I will have another go These are photos to demonstrate the difference between sharpie and posca paint pens there is no appreciable weight gains using posca pens
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:38 AM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
These are photos to demonstrate the difference between sharpie and posca paint pens
Are those photos both showing the posca pens, or one of each? It looks like two different photos of the same piece. Did you do the test using Arcel foam?
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:45 AM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
flight advice?

OK, I think I'm about ready to maiden my Alula. A couple of questions:

Are you supposed to try to catch the plane at the end of the flight? Or is that only for extra style points? Is there something wrong with a belly landing?

When you do the side-arm hand launch, what makes the plane go up? Do you throw the plane in an upward arc, or in a flat plane? Are you supposed to be holding the up elevator stick with your other hand when you make the throw? Will it "automatically" nose over to level flight when it slows down, or do you have to do that manually?

Did you recharge the battery with it still inside the plane, or take it out? I've also seen a few people install a "switch jack" in the top side of the plane. What is this for?
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:32 AM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,423 Posts
Catching the plane gives you style points, but it also prevents stressing the belly pan which can break if you have an unforgiving landing zone.

Your launch speed gives the plane lift which will cause it to go up. A slight upward arc is okay, but too much can cause the plane to straight up or even loop behind you, killing lift and reducing launch height. You definitely do not want up elevator on launch.

You want to nose the plane over at the top, not let it stall and flop itself over.

The switch jack acts as an on/off and charging lead so you do not have to unplug the battery from the receiver. I use one on all of my planes for convenience. You can make them yourself from Mouser parts or buy them from North County Flying Machines or others.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by schamberlin View Post
OK, I think I'm about ready to maiden my Alula. A couple of questions:

Are you supposed to try to catch the plane at the end of the flight? Or is that only for extra style points? Is there something wrong with a belly landing?

When you do the side-arm hand launch, what makes the plane go up? Do you throw the plane in an upward arc, or in a flat plane? Are you supposed to be holding the up elevator stick with your other hand when you make the throw? Will it "automatically" nose over to level flight when it slows down, or do you have to do that manually?

Did you recharge the battery with it still inside the plane, or take it out? I've also seen a few people install a "switch jack" in the top side of the plane. What is this for?
SrWade is online now Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Jan 02, 2010, 10:35 AM
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
hi Steve, yes they are two views of the same canopy (elapor) I have also tried on arcel same results. these pens are water based but with a lot of pigment and work very well without bleeding and dry quickly after which another colour can be put on top they are the best I have come across to decorate foamies and they come in 40 colours and 7 nib widths and are widely used in the graphics game