HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:55 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
[QUOTE=xan;16421934] Has anyone here successfully used an onboard mixer on the Alula? I found a few online which were pretty small and light, and even found one lying around at home from a crashed-abandoned model we found, but without instructions etc. I'm not sure how to adjust it etc. for the throws the Alula needs. A mixer would be great as he could just use his existing radio.QUOTE]

I have never used a mixer on an Alula, but I have used them in the past on other models. It should work fine.

If you can get any info off of the mixer you can probably find instructions on the internet. Most of them work the same anyway, so any instructions you can find will give you a good start. I have never seen one that was electronically programmable, so it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out.

I would recommend hooking your battery, switch, receiver, mixer and servos up on the bench in the layout that they will go onto the plane before you install them in the plane. This way you can be sure everything works and moves the way you want. (elevator- same direction -both up or down, aileron-opposite directions -one up and one down) Mark them for location and install them that way. I do this before I install any gear in any plane. It's always better to find any problems on the bench and fix them there rather than have to take apart your plane or tear out freshly glued in components.

Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:37 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
Most receiver mixers are useless on flying wings.
You need very little elevator and lots of aileron and these mixers give equal throw to both surfaces.
There are programmable mixers that allow any throw you like and reversing but they are expensive - compared to buying a radio with mixing on board.
http://www.flycs.co.nz/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=55
You can also wire a potentiometer in parallel to your elevator pot to give expo on even a two channel AM set.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:23 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
[QUOTE=mdennis;16496214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan View Post
A mixer would be great as he could just use his existing radio.QUOTE]

Couldn't you almost buy a 72 mhz radio on ebay or somewhere with mixing for as cheap as a mixer now? He's bound to need mixing on other planes in the future.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:04 PM
Romania
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
are the Alula still on production?...still shipped? wanna order one, is it ok to buy the fly pack from their site (with servos and battery pack) ?
cornel4web is offline Find More Posts by cornel4web
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:56 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornel4web View Post
are the Alula still on production?...still shipped? wanna order one, is it ok to buy the fly pack from their site (with servos and battery pack) ?
Yep still going strong, and the ship time is nice and short right now.
http://www.dream-flight.com/alula.html

I bought the flight pack with battery and servos and have been happy. Buy some extra gear sets. I stripped two sets early on while learning to fly but haven't since then. Some people go with a larger battery pack since you will otherwise end up putting dead weight in the nose.
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,358 Posts
Yip!!! Alula's and Weasel's are being shipped to South Africa all the time

If not the servo's get the batteries with your order they are small and fit 100%
Bakkie is online now Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
Romania
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
how much weight you put in alula nose for the right ballance?...what other bttery are you using?...I plan of using some small 2s lipo...with an FrSky 2.4 small receiver...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:24 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornel4web View Post
how much weight you put in alula nose for the right ballance?...what other bttery are you using?...I plan of using some small 2s lipo...with an FrSky 2.4 small receiver...
I have 4 x AAA rechargebles in the nose with a spektrum parkflyer 2.4.

There are 2 dimples under the wing which is where the CG must be. My flies better a little nose heavy.
Bakkie is online now Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
i use a 2S 360mah RHINO with AR6100 and a 5V regulador,
and i still need few grams in the noise!
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:05 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
I use a 1s2p 500 lipo (3.7v 1000 mah) with Assan RX and single cell lipo blue bird servos. It runs forever and the total weight balanced is 5.55 oz.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
Romania
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
are those Blue-Bird BMS-306BB working if I intend to use only one cell Lipo 1s ?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:24 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Just checked hobbyking.com

They are these single cell servos. They work great and are super smooth for this plane. I thought they'd be to small but no problems at all.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9903
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:29 AM
FOAMYHOLIC
Weatherford, Texas
Joined Jul 2003
102 Posts
Finally got mine done. AUW is 5.9 oz. I went with CR2 batterys, Hitec HS-45's, top drive servo mod, installed carbon throwing blade, and paint. I had to add almost a 1/2 oz of nose weight to get it to balance on the dimples. I am going to maiden and slope it this weekend, after dialing it in of course. The hardest part of this build was laying out the color scheme. Its kinda hard to tell from the pictures but the orange is florescent.
spadforme is offline Find More Posts by spadforme
Last edited by spadforme; Nov 12, 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
Romania
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
wow...nice...I also ordered mine...:P
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:43 PM
Crash land!
Geelong Vic, Australia
Joined Sep 2009
635 Posts
Had a nice flight with my new Alula last night.

I'm new to slope and have spent most of my stick time messing with AP/AV. Inspired by some vids I've seen on this forum I decided to make a hat cam and try to get some video of me flying.

The hat cam was a complete failure (wrong angle) and I managed to get around 5 seconds of decent footage, the GoPro behind me caught most of the action but it's a bit too far away I think.

Oh well, I'm planning on making some more vids over teh summer so at least I'll learn from my mistakes. Think I'll swap the cams and have the GoPro on the hat and my other cam behind me.

Here tis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMkIZr64bU
Joffa_Dan is offline Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan