HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:40 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
815 Posts
Hello...
Is CA really OK on the Alula foam? Are the wings taped on to the fusealage, and not glued? Just got mine, and wanna get started!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:56 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
782 Posts
If you use foam safe CA, then it will be just fine. My wings are just taped, but I also have the removable wing option, so they are also held on by the force of the screw in the collar.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:11 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
I used thin (non-foam safe) ca on mine and it's fine. Foam safe isnt as strong. I taped my wings on, and they are fine.
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:12 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,443 Posts
Man, I love your avatar.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:16 PM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Hi

Ordinary CA is just fine for the Alula. Never used anything else on mine......

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:17 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
While I was building mine I discovered a new technique... new to me at least. While trying to glue in some carbon I was having a hard time getting CA in the hole and then pushing the carbon in. I took a very fine tipped syringe and filled it with thin CA. Id probe through the top and bottom of the wing till I found my carbon, then inject CA in. Works like a champ. Just be careful that the ca doesn't shoot out and get someplace it shouldn't... like your eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
Man, I love your avatar.
Who's?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:18 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,443 Posts
Yours!
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:21 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Yours!
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:36 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
man, i love your avatar.
fire in the disco!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:39 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Hello...
Is CA really OK on the Alula foam? Are the wings taped on to the fusealage, and not glued? Just got mine, and wanna get started!
I used foam safe CA with a foam safe CA kicker for mine and it was fine. I'd never used it before though and I've found that it wasn't as strong as I was expecting.

I've had various of my joints break out since I built her. The metal ring of the removable wing kit (launch side) broke loose (though the carbon tube stayed put) and all of my magnets have just broken out of the wing root too. I've also just noticed that the carbon wing strengthener is breaking out of the groove at the wing tip (again at the launch side).

I suspect that 1) foam safe CA isn't as strong as normal CA and 2) I didn't do a very good job glueing her together !

None of this is too serious: the ring I just glued back in (and strengthened the other side with extra glue). The magnets are annoying, but she flew surprisingly well for a minute or 2 before I noticed! I just taped the wings while I was at the slope. Tape = win!

The strengthening rod just needs some more glue wicking into the groove.

So nothing major, but have a good look at your joints and if you've not used foam safe CA before, maybe use a little more, or take more care getting it right into the joints than normal.

Cheers,

xan
xan is offline Find More Posts by xan
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:44 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,360 Posts
Short video of some Alula fun

Alula Fun! (1 min 1 sec)
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:47 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Nice video, looks like a beautiful place to fly.
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Lovely video! Love the pass where she just squeeks over the edge again with an inch or two clearance!

Quick questions to Alula owners: I've got another Alula convert in the making, my dad loved seeing mine when I went to visit last week and I'm going to get him one as an early Christmas present. Only snag is his radio(s) are all basic 4 channel models and none of them do elevon mixing.

I was looking at a couple of options so,

1) Can anyone reccomend a basic 35MHz radio that does elevon mixing that would be suitable for the Alula? I was thinking of 35MHz as they should be a lot cheaper these days than the 2.4GHz sets, but I don't know what to look for. Does anyone here in the UK have one they want to sell? I was looking on eBay and there are loads of sets going, but I'm not sure what I need.

2) Has anyone here successfully used an onboard mixer on the Alula? I found a few online which were pretty small and light, and even found one lying around at home from a crashed-abandoned model we found, but without instructions etc. I'm not sure how to adjust it etc. for the throws the Alula needs. A mixer would be great as he could just use his existing radio.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great! Thanks a lot and happy flying.
xan is offline Find More Posts by xan
Old Nov 07, 2010, 01:52 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
Here in the States we've used 72MHz for a long time so you'd think those radios would be quite a bit cheaper. The simple fact is the 2.4GHz radios are about the same price as 72MHz until you get into 8 ore more channels so unless you have a huge inventory of *compatible* FM gear it makes sense to just get a 2.4GHz system. A Spektrum DX5e transmitter is about $60 with the receiver costing about the same. Servos are between $10 and $15 for brand name or half that for any number of Chinese micro servos. I looked in the DX5e manual and it can do elevon mixing but my feeling is the added control of exponential, end point, dual rates and the ability to handle nine more receivers compared to the DX5e well worth the extra $40. The RX cavity in my Alula fit a AR6100e RX perfectly.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:13 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
stall turns

I've been thinking that the big tail on the Alula is part of what's so fun about it and I've started refining my stall turns. It works best cross wind -- you pull up steeply to get the nose vertical with the tail pointed slightly to one side. At the stall the tail will push the nose around for a nice sharp turn. With less extreme pull up you'll do a chandelle. Not bad for a plane without a rudder! A new trick for you to try
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix