HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:14 AM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Mark,
Some leaves are starting to fall.
I put the mix in to all my gliders. The amount you use will depend on radio setup and CG. It kind of works like elevator trim in a full size plane. I set up mid stick throttle for normal comfortable flying. Low throttle stick (just a bit of up elevator) is slowest flight without stalling. Forward stick (a bit of down elevator) is for faster flight, but without tucking. If set up correctly (imho) it's like flying with a throttle. Throttle back to slow down and float or throttle up to move out. It really comes in to it's own in light slope conditions. I also like it for launching. I launch at just below mid stick then about half way up I go to full "throttle)... it almost pushes over to level by itself, and it's easy to get to the throttle stick quickly right after launch. Set the mix up on a switch so you can turn it on and off and give it a try... it's free The mix on mine is almost imperceptible on the ground. It may not work with a truly neutral plane.

Launch technique...
Are most people using the thumb on top grip? What launch angle are you aiming for? My launches are consistent with thumb on bottom, but I'd like a bit more height.
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MichaelConnally; Oct 12, 2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: forgot something
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
My brand new Alula!

Here's my very first Alula! Can't wait for the maiden flight after work today!! I'm new to this so I hope the picture I attached comes through!
shah2003 is offline Find More Posts by shah2003
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:12 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelConnally View Post
Mark,
Some leaves are starting to fall.
I put the mix in to all my gliders. The amount you use will depend on radio setup and CG. It kind of works like elevator trim in a full size plane. I set up mid stick throttle for normal comfortable flying. Low throttle stick (just a bit of up elevator) is slowest flight without stalling. Forward stick (a bit of down elevator) is for faster flight, but without tucking. If set up correctly (imho) it's like flying with a throttle. Throttle back to slow down and float or throttle up to move out. It really comes in to it's own in light slope conditions. I also like it for launching. I launch at just below mid stick then about half way up I go to full "throttle)... it almost pushes over to level by itself, and it's easy to get to the throttle stick quickly right after launch. Set the mix up on a switch so you can turn it on and off and give it a try... it's free The mix on mine is almost imperceptible on the ground. It may not work with a truly neutral plane.
So you are basically using it on the slope, not on the flatland? Sounds kind of like reflex and camber on sailplanes or flaperons.
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
Always in the Glue
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Oct 2003
137 Posts
Nice colors, good luck on the maiden.
B.Welwood is offline Find More Posts by B.Welwood
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spring happenings
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Welwood View Post
Nice colors, good luck on the maiden.
Thanks!! Let's hope she returns as pretty as when she left the house!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:01 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,358 Posts
No wind on the slope so we got the Radian to give the Alula's a lift

Parkzone Radian Piggy-Back (2 min 59 sec)

Radian FUN (2 min 56 sec)
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2006
488 Posts
Most Likely on a Flatland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis View Post
So you are basically using it on the slope, not on the flatland? Sounds kind of like reflex and camber on sailplanes or flaperons.
It does not appear to be so per his post (#806):

"My shoulder is going to hate me tomorrow, but I had a blast. I'm catching about 90% of the time..."
delperena is offline Find More Posts by delperena
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
had a great time "maidening" my Alula.. flew real well! One slight problem, I could throw it real high, but it would go into a steep nosedive right after reaching the highest point.. after each nosedive it would recover and fly quite well.. is it nose heavy or the opposite. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
throttle to elevator mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis View Post
I use it almost every flight on slope or or flat land. I went up to 2% mix today... still dialing everything in. I think it adds quite a bit to the flying experience and makes launches easier/more precise.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:48 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah2003 View Post
had a great time "maidening" my Alula.. flew real well! One slight problem, I could throw it real high, but it would go into a steep nosedive right after reaching the highest point.. after each nosedive it would recover and fly quite well.. is it nose heavy or the opposite. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
You need to push the nose over at the top of your launch. If you don't it will stall and lose altitude exactly as you describe.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
You need to push the nose over at the top of your launch. If you don't it will stall and lose altitude exactly as you describe.

Thanks!! I will give it a try next time..
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:29 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Yup, I'm still getting used to this, and getting a good transition from launch to flight is the hardest thing. It's kind of ironic (I find) that the harder you launch, the longer it takes to recover (yourself onto the stick!) and the harder to get that smooth transition to normal flight .

Perhaps try deliberately flattening out sooner than you think she needs, then work it gently later and later until you've just got it right.

There's an awesome video early in this thread of a someone launching with a perfect transition at the top, will see if I can find it!

EDIT: Here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHones View Post
Wow - forgotten what a beast of a launch that is! I doubt I'm getting 1/3 that height .

EDIT2: Think this was the "transition" video I was originally thinking of, but both are just amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
alula launch with peg.
paul
http://www.vimeo.com/9080928
Inspiration!

(I think if I threw my 'lula that hard she'd come apart at the seams )
xan is offline Find More Posts by xan
Last edited by xan; Oct 13, 2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:40 AM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Thank you for posting these videos!! Now let's see how quickly I can get to the controls before the stall! It'll be fun practicing anyway...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:20 PM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Here's some footage from my first flight with my new spycam. Thanks for all the advice, I got one of the "808" model keychain spycams and I'm really pleased with it. I think it comes in at only about 15g without the chain attached and I just taped it to the top of the wing over the CG.

I hope to get out on Peel hill soon with the camera this time and hopefully see if I can get some footage of the seagulls. Last couple of times I've got up on the slope they've appeared from nowhere and soared with me for a while! Hope to maybe get a few shots of the castle from the air too, if I'm lucky!

Here you go, a cheeky lunch-break fly on some scrub land 100 yards from my office.
Alula Evo Lunchtime Flights 1 (808 spycam) (3 min 47 sec)
xan is offline Find More Posts by xan
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan View Post
Yup, I'm still getting used to this, and getting a good transition from launch to flight is the hardest thing. It's kind of ironic (I find) that the harder you launch, the longer it takes to recover (yourself onto the stick!) and the harder to get that smooth transition to normal flight .

Perhaps try deliberately flattening out sooner than you think she needs, then work it gently later and later until you've just got it right.

There's an awesome video early in this thread of a someone launching with a perfect transition at the top, will see if I can find it!

EDIT: Here it is:

Wow - forgotten what a beast of a launch that is! I doubt I'm getting 1/3 that height .

EDIT2: Think this was the "transition" video I was originally thinking of, but both are just amazing

Inspiration!

(I think if I threw my 'lula that hard she'd come apart at the seams )

Flattening it at the highest point worked like a charm!! What an amazing plane! The best lunch break I've had in a long time!