HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
bpr
Oak Park, IL USA
Joined Jan 2005
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis View Post
I have a Sirius 200 charger I would sell for $35 plus shipping. They are normally about $60. Mark

I recommend the Sirius charger. I use one for my Alula and any similar small battery wonders. (DLGs, ...)
bpr is offline Find More Posts by bpr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:48 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
783 Posts
I use the Turnigy and like it quite a bit. It's over kill for what you are looking for and may seem overly complex if that is all you ever use it for. However, if you think you are at all likely to get in anything with an electric motor (and lipo batteries) then a balance charger (like the Turnigy) is the way to go. And wow at that price (about half what I paid) it is some bang for the buck!
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:06 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
I bought a charger made by Expert Electronics that is made to charge Futaba transmitters and receiver batteries. I don't use the transmitter plug, just the one for batteries. It works great. Cost about $13 from my local hobby shop.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:07 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,546 Posts
I just use the trickle charger that came with my Tx. Do most Tx chargers not include a receiver battery port?
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Jul 2000
15 Posts
Just finished my Alula

Hi everyone..... I just finished my Alula. I've flown it from the field one afternoon and got great launches using the wingtip blade. I found it difficult ( impossible ) to make tight thermal circles, it just waggles and drops (stalling?). But in clean air it glides beautifully. The balance is right on the dimples using a 4x AAA rx pack so it's not the lightest Alula out there, but I didn't use any extra weight to balance it. Now I'm looking forward to slope soaring it and trying a few small local slopes with really tight landing areas.
It really is a great model........ designing the decoration took at least as long as building it.
Tom Finding is offline Find More Posts by Tom Finding
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:25 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,546 Posts
Great looking model, Tom.

The Alula may not be the best thermalling plane, but if you get a booming day it'll surprise you. I just got back from my best day at the field ever. I didn't get there until 3:00, but there were big puffy cumulus clouds all over the sky and the wind was about 5-10 mph. It was fantastic! It seemed like every time I tossed I found at least some lift.

I'll tell you what, if you see some swallows circling at a decent height (they're normally just cruising around near the ground), you're almost guaranteed to find a great thermal near them. I noticed a couple of them when I was about to toss so I decided to launch towards them. Immediately after launching I was climbing like you wouldn't believe. It was specked out not long after that. I ended up leaving the thermal because I was getting downwind and was getting so high I was afraid I'd start having orientation issues. Well, I brought it back in and caught another thermal almost as good as the first one. Who knows how long it would have flown after that, but I had to bring it back in again for the same reason as before. I'm sure the flight was at least 10 minutes long, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 15. I've also had swallows lead me to big lift on other days.

After that I had at least one other good flight, but then it was getting to be about 4:00 and the wind was picking up and the thermals were dying down. These are the kind of days I live for. I can't wait to build my bigger DLG (waiting for the laser cut parts right now).

Dan
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:44 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Nice bird Tom! Last Saturday, I managed to slope soar for the first time on a small ridge roughly 18 feet high in a variable breeze of 6 to 10 mph. It wasn't easy, but I was amazed at what littlle lift I needed to keep her airborne.

Dan, Congrats on your boomer day, sounds awesome. I have yet to experience a day like that, so I am still thermaless. My Alula is right at 5.5 ounces, so I believe I shouldn't much of a problem when I do manage to find one.

Preparing a MiMi DLG build as soon as my shot kit arrives.

Mark
MarksRC is online now Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:01 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC View Post
Nice bird Tom! Last Saturday, I managed to slope soar for the first time on a small ridge roughly 18 feet high in a variable breeze of 6 to 10 mph. It wasn't easy, but I was amazed at what littlle lift I needed to keep her airborne.

Dan, Congrats on your boomer day, sounds awesome. I have yet to experience a day like that, so I am still thermaless. My Alula is right at 5.5 ounces, so I believe I shouldn't much of a problem when I do manage to find one.

Preparing a MiMi DLG build as soon as my shot kit arrives.

Mark
That's pretty light. I think mine is about 5.8 oz, which as far as I know is on the low side.

Another thing to remember is that all fields are not created equal for thermals. Mine is wide open and has birds soaring around all the time on good thermal days. Another plus is that it has a built-up ridge all around from construction that's going on, about the same height as yours, which helps stay aloft a little bit longer if the wind is right. I hope the construction doesn't move too fast. For now they just seem to be hauling dirt in and out of there.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Quote:
That's pretty light. I think mine is about 5.8 oz, which as far as I know is on the low side.
Yours is definitely on the low side. To get 5.5 ounces, I've replaced the stock tail with a depron one, this keeps the nose weights to a minimum. The only trick is to keep the tail from breaking. My latest mod is 5mm thick depron with CF embeded, then partially covered with aircraft tissue skin attached with a thin coat of CA. I have two D47 servos, an Xtremelink 6 channel nano rx and a 7.4v 2s lipo. No voltage regulator as everything runs direct.

I have a field just west of a large circular mall, so next time we get an East or ESE breeze, I hope to find some lift coming off all that hot cement. Hope your construction goes slooooooooow!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:52 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,546 Posts
I had another good day today. Now I'm home from college (for a week) and there's a reservoir here near Niagara Falls that makes a nice slope when the wind's coming the right way. Today it was pretty close and I had some nice flights in the slope lift. Still, the best ones were when I got some thermal activity too. I had one flight that was probably about 10 minutes long. It's hard to say when I don't time it though.

The buildings on the Canadian side of the falls a few miles away make a nice backdrop too.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:37 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
I got that charger a year or two ago and it's been great. I use it for my NiMH pack in my Alula, NiCd from my TX and 3S lipos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
I'm guessing you're looking for something more compact and simple but...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7028

mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:09 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I have the Accucell 8 and it seems to work quite well on my lipos. It balances well and hasn't given me any problems at all, can't beat it for the price.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:57 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Here's my Alula. Not yet maidened though. For one, the weather is louzy, it's been raining all week. And secondly, I had to order a battery for it. The LHS didn't have one. I should have ordered one when I ordered the HiTEC Neon Radio for it, but I didn't.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:49 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
TJ, beautiful artwork, nice Alula. Good luck on your maiden. I had to wait at least a week for the weather to clear before I could get mine in the air, so just be patient.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Thanks Mark. I'll have to wait two weeks. I go back to work on Tuesday afternoon and won't be back until the following Wednesday. Our club is having our first "Glider Fly In" on September 11th so I hope it's ready by then.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet