SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2010, 04:41 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Rocky,
To tell you the truth, I never considered the stall characteristics , but hopefully, the 20 thousandths rod won't make much of a difference. The ca makes somewhat of a fillet between the rod and the foam. I've seen some guys in the "Slope" thread use music wire, but I think that that's way to heavy. Will keep you posted.
Mark
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:15 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I believe that technique usually involves slicing the leading edge then embedding your carbon/music wire. In that case your leading edge stays pretty much the same. I'm not sure if your current mod will have any negative effect on your performance but there's one way to find out...fly it!
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:57 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,549 Posts
I just got an Alula. This is my first experience with soaring flight. I have a pretty wide open field with a construction site that has a built-up ridge about 15-20 ft. high. There are also usually hawks soaring around during the day and swallows that like to chase my plane around the ridge. It's not a great slope but it's facing the right way and it's the best I've found within reasonable distance from me.

My Alula came out at 5.7 ounces all-up. I didn't add any color or anything, though I might add some stripes to the bottom of the wing in Sharpie. All I can say is this is the most fun I've had in the hobby in a long time. A steady 5-10 mph breeze is all it needs to stay up flying the ridge. I've had it out 3 times and each time I've flown it until the Tx battery was dead or almost dead. I've even managed to catch some thermals. This afternoon/evening I actually rode a pretty good thermal up to a couple hundred feet before I lost it. Maybe I'll go out sometime in better thermal conditions and see how it goes.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:21 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
that sounds like a nice place. I have on just down the street from me. It is what I call the prettiest view in the city. You have a clear view of the mountains all kinds of local wildlife. Greatest place to watch sun sets and it has about a 100' mild drop and a half circle so you can catch the wind from the west and from the north. Here are some more pictures. of the built up wing with the kf2 airfoil the laminated fuse and you can see the templates I used. I saved them just in case some one wants me to do a build on this.
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Last edited by daydreamer; Aug 01, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:32 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
I test glided this bird today with all the new add ons and she seems to be sturdy. I didn't have any CF rods so I just used a wood 3/16 rod. When done I might add a 1/8 of wing wash out to float it a little better. It glides nice now but it will be interesting to see with wash out.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:51 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
sorry posted in the wrong forum
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:26 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,899 Posts
Woow another great day of alula flying, a club buddy got enthusiast form last time we flew our alulas and got hooked up, on saturady we went to a small slope, noit so much wint but lots of thermiks we could fly so long every time jumping from thermik to thermik then landing in the hand, I even tryed some small site DS :P I onle manage one circuit but is was lots of fun. It is confimr on preice / fun ratio the alula is unbeatable

EZ
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
Denmark, Rodovre
Joined Nov 2004
163 Posts
Have been flying my 4 servo Alula (post #743 p50) both on slope and on flatland now.

Flatland thermals was much better than I expected. Being heavy (230 gr. / 7,5 oz) I didn't thought that my Alula would be good for anything here, but I was wrong ! I could launch it pretty high and have at least 30 seconds on a launch, if not longer. It glides quicker and with more authority than a "normal" Alula, and if I get this into a thermal driving by, I am sure to get it home again. It easily penetrates through the headwind.

On slope this one easily glides up to 8-10 m/s wind. I have been adjusting the ailerons and elevators neutral position and I noticed something odd. The Alula goes quicker with a little reflex on the ailerons. Ailerons are lifted ca. 1 mm compared to the elevators. If I removed the aileron reflex the Alula could hardly glide forward in the hard wind ! Why is that ?
pentium is offline Find More Posts by pentium
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:46 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Firstly, a quick hello as this is my first post over here!

I've not flown anything for probably 10 years or so, but used to fly RC power and slope gliders (had a 2nd hand Flair Fledgeling with the normal wing) when I was growing up.

I somehow stumbled onto the Alula about 10 days ago while trawling the web and was immediately taken by the pretty little bird. I drooled over videos on youtube, loving the "fly anywhere" concept and thought she looked ace. I bought a kit (the only one I could find online in the UK!) along with the removable wing kit and the stock battery + servos from t9hobbysports last week after the guys at Dream-Flight pointed me in that direction. Arrived in super speedy time, so can recommend them highly.

The blue box arrived just as I found that my old McGregor radio didn't do Elevon mixing, only V-Tail, and didn't support the stick mode to put rudder and elevator on the right stick so I got a new Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz set from my local shop. Not even built her yet and already costing me money!

She went together beautifully (I've always been bad at building models, but this was a dream!) My only troubles were gluing in the magnets for the removable wing kit (the North marks came off with the CA kicker I was using) and having to fit an oversized receiver. I couldn't get a micro receiver locally for this set, so went with the stock one that came with it (http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk6900.html). I can confirm that by removing the case this will fit in the Alula, but required a bit of carving out underneath to make room for the vertically mounted servo plugs! I'll try and post some pictures when I get home.

Finished build took me probably an afternoon + evening (but with plenty of thinking / agonising time over the cutout for the reciever!) and couldn't really have been simpler!

I don't know my AUW (will find out eventually) but needed exactly 1.21 of ballast (as a 1, 20p and 1p - didn't have any lead) beside the stock battery to balance her on the dimples, perhaps a fraction fowards (slight nose down when jigged on the dimples). This equates to nominally 18.06g (0.64oz) of ballast, which seems about in line with what I've read here.

Maiden test was on Sunday, totally still, hot day and I just had time to do a few gentle glide tests down a shallow incline at the local playing field. I was a touch worried having read here some people finding their Alulas very twitchy, but was really pleased. She did tend to want to climb and stall, but after checking the CoG when I got home I eyed up the elevons and dialled in a decent down trim to get them looking more level. I think I didn't get them strapped down quite enough when I glued the pushrods.

First proper flight was on Monday evening at the same spot into quite a decent breeze (estimate about Force 3-4), almost too much for my nerves for a first outing. Needn't have worried as she flew like an absolute charm. I only gave her pretty gentle javelin launches (never SAL'd and want a still day to practice) but she punched into the wind better than I expected and flew brilliantly. I was getting easy 15 second flights off a fairly gentle launch into the wind, probably gaining no more height than 15 or 20 feet or so then bringing her back down. She did get blown about a bit turning across the wind (but I expect this from a 6oz model!), but it was brilliant bringing her down and being able to practically hover into the wind a foot off the ground!

I had been a bit sceptical of the tiny elevator movement stated in the manual, but can confirm that she is responsive and positive with it and I'm glad I kept it dialled down. In the end I think I ended up with just shy of the 3mm recommended, but I don't feel the need to up this at all at present, perhaps as I get more flight time in.

Towards the end of my session I got braver and moved to the edge of the field where there is a bit of a step up and the seagulls looked to be getting a good small patch of lift. She punched through slightly stronger winds beautifully, hit the lift and took off vertically giving me a wonderful minute or two of flight, grinning from ear to ear!

By the end I was exhausted, my hands were shaking and my eyes aching from the concentration, but my 'loo-la had done brilliantly. What a fabulous little plane! I can't wait to get her back in the air (tonight if the rain will only hold off!) and try my hand at some SALing.

A huge thanks to all of you who have posted your experiences in this thread - I've gone through the whole thread and taken a lot of your advice on board about control settings, handling and construction, and it all really helped me get her setup right for my first outing, so hats off to you all!

If anyone is interested, I'll try and post some pictures of my build (I didn't get a full set as I had gluey fingers!) and my radio settings etc. Now just got to think of a colour scheme!

Cheers,

xan
xan is offline Find More Posts by xan
Last edited by xan; Aug 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:28 PM
Monticello, WI
Joined Jan 2008
29 Posts
Charger

Well, I have finally been co-opted by a gaggle of local Alula enthusiasts, and now have one of these birds under construction. Looks like fun ahead.

A quick qestion: Can anyone direct me to a good, inexpensive charger for the stock 4.8v 300 mah NiMH pack? I know there are several nice multi-chemistry chargers now available, but I'd like to find a simple dedicated charger for that battery. A full-charge detection/trickle capability would be nice, but is not essential.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
MarkLL is offline Find More Posts by MarkLL
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:36 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I'm guessing you're looking for something more compact and simple but...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7028

Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:53 PM
Monticello, WI
Joined Jan 2008
29 Posts
Thanks; it looks pretty good (have you used one?).

At bottom, though, I am looking for something simpler.

Mark
MarkLL is offline Find More Posts by MarkLL
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I have not used it personally. Some fellow slopers came down on a slope trip from Canada. They had one working full time connected to an AUX car battery in the back of their slope wagon. It was highly recommended by them. The HK reviews seem to support their enthusiasm. I would like another charger so it's on my wishlist.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:00 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,137 Posts
I have a Sirius 200 charger I would sell for $35 plus shipping. They are normally about $60. Chargers for NiCd or NiMh batteries don't come easier to work than this one. Just plug it in and forget it. It will fast charge until the battery is charged, then it switches over to a peak unit. You can leave it on your battery as long as you want. Plus it is only about 2.5" x 4" x 1". I have a couple of them that I used to use for hand launch, but I have switched them to LiPo, so I only need one now.

I strap them onto a 3 cell LiPo battery and carry it with me to the field.

Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis