HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:54 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,112 Posts
Loved that! Thanks!
Great to see the catching improvement in the video. Keep it up!

Jun C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
Bozo the pilot ! attempting to play catch with his Alula

(if you're not real good at catching your Alula, this might make you feel a little better!!)

http://www.vimeo.com/13119501
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:23 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,798 Posts
After reviewing recent bird attack videos and, considering the time I have invested in my planes, I put together a little label for my airplanes to stop the carnage at the talons of birds of prey. You are welcome to use this label on your airplanes as well.

Ken
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,798 Posts
I just realized...Birds of prey have exceptional vision, so when you print this for your airplanes, I recommend you make it very small.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:35 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
572 Posts
Awesome, Chewie, just awesome.
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:35 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Funny stuff. I might just have to print one of those...
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:09 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Thats Awesome.

How 'bout on the bottom: "If you can read this small type, you must be a bird of prey"
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:56 PM
hang on
oslo norway
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby2112 View Post
I managed to get my Evo stuck in a tree for a week and while waiting for it to come down I restored my original Alula. I've now been able to fly the two side by side and have found that the old version seems to fly better. I'm not sure if this is because the old version is actually better of if I just haven't gotten my Evo dialed in correctly yet.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience? Should the Evo perform better once dialed in?
a fly-buddy of mine sold his alula evo for the same reasons as you describe. he got all 3 alula versions and didn't stand the evo compared to the second alula with balsa fin/elevons. He addressed the lousy flying characteristics to the very soft arcel-elevons. Several friends of mine have cut out and covered up balsa control surfaces and removed the originals. they fly way better with balsa.

i have parameters as follows: 33%elevator + 66%ailerons & 30%expo on low rates. High Rates got 33%elevator + 100%ailerons & 40%expo. CoG is slightly behind the default CoG-marks and this is the best setup i've found so far on this. i use a bit more pitch control than recommended, but it saves the nose in a low stall.

in dead air and thermals i only manage to keep it up for about 30-40 secs with a good throw. When i launch my dlg in the same conditions i can easily get lots of 10-15 minutes flight and more. so compared to that its not worth launching any alula for thermals only.

slope is the alulas right element. when the weasel cant fly the alula is great. nothing made of foam can be compared to the alula on the slope with varying wind speed.
jotore is offline Find More Posts by jotore
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:25 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotore View Post
its not worth launching any alula for thermals only
I disagree and here's why...

1. Flying an Alula is FUN.

2. An Alula is far less likely than a "standard" DLG to break given a crosswind landing or one where you catch a wingtip.

3. It's more challenging to catch a thermal with an Alula, but then it's also more rewarding when you do!

--Rocky
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:56 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccah View Post
After reviewing recent bird attack videos and, considering the time I have invested in my planes, I put together a little label for my airplanes to stop the carnage at the talons of birds of prey. You are welcome to use this label on your airplanes as well.
Ken
Ok Ken, I took your advice. I can only pray the attacks will stop now. If not then I guess I'll just have to build a bigger Alula, like the "Megalula" (HERE) or bigger, and trim it like an eagle to intimidate them. Yes, I really am going to fly it like this from now on. I like it!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jul 09, 2010, 10:02 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Looks great Mike! Although I think this rebel attacker of yours doesn't like to obey any posted limits or regulations. It'd be super funny if he ripped that off on the next attack.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:47 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Looks great Mike! Although I think this rebel attacker of yours doesn't like to obey any posted limits or regulations. It'd be super funny if he ripped that off on the next attack.
I could probably arrange that, even get it on video with an aft facing camera. But my preservation instincts have kicked in. I don't want to build a new Alula yet, so I'm done donating foam chunks to that raptor for a while. It will be all evasive maneuvers next time...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Ok Ken, I took your advice. I can only pray the attacks will stop now. If not then I guess I'll just have to build a bigger Alula, like the "Megalula" (HERE) or bigger, and trim it like an eagle to intimidate them. Yes, I really am going to fly it like this from now on. I like it!
Mike, that is awesome! I didn't realize you had designed your alula to look so much like a bird. I can see why that raptor was so aggressive in your videos.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Quote:
jotore: its not worth launching any alula for thermals only.
I agree with rocky, besides, I would say the thermals are probably more numerous and stronger in New Mexico and south Florida (85 to 95 degrees F most of the time) than in Oslo Norway. Just my two cents.

Mark
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:30 PM
Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
102 Posts
Wahoo! The postman dropped off a funny shaped blue box at my door today. Time to get building!
phillipduran is offline Find More Posts by phillipduran
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:51 AM
hang on
oslo norway
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyabq View Post
I disagree and here's why...

1. Flying an Alula is FUN.

2. An Alula is far less likely than a "standard" DLG to break given a crosswind landing or one where you catch a wingtip.

3. It's more challenging to catch a thermal with an Alula, but then it's also more rewarding when you do!

--Rocky
of course flying the alula is fun. the point is there is pretty boring to throw some foam again and again to hunt thermals only to watch it sink like a submarine. ok, if you cant land without breaking anything i'll agree 100%, but that's not an issue for me -only those who cant fly dlgs try to land in crosswind, that's no-no, of course.

i fly my alula while charging my dlg. the thermals here are strong, same temp as in new mexico for some weeks now, btw -it's real hot in norway during summer and thermals here makes huge, heavy f3j/b-models out of sight in no time. when im standing with a smile on my face and watch the dlg like a dot in the sky, still banking upwards, the alula will gain Some height, if a thermal was found, but when it gets out into the cold air of the thermals it drops like a rock, and on top it loose all its energy in one turn, cause its made of draggy foam, and then the thermal is long gone. i agree its good training to launch alulas in a thermal only situation since you only got one shot to find thermals each launch due to the lost energy. and for beginners that struggle to avoid crosswind landings its great. you cant say its more rewarding to find a thermal for a couple of minutes flight with alula compared to a composite dlg when you hit the same thermal and work it up so far you get nervous to get it down again -after 15-20minutes from one launch. THATS rewarding -and 10 times as fun -i would rather say its "frustrating" to hunt thermals with aluls vs dlgs.

on the slope, or on a day with combined wind/thermals its fine and i love it for what it actually is. i really like my alula but i just cant justify flying it on thermals only and let my dlg lie on the ground when it will make me smile and the alula wont.

Sooo, its time to grab my alula and dlg and hit the air -its combined conditions in oslo today, so the alula will have some fun too
jotore is offline Find More Posts by jotore