SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
New problem with my alula. I couldn't get any height on launch and my preset launch set was now giving too much lift, almost looping even if a tossed at a 45 degree angle. also noticed a bit of micro porpoising in the glide that was not there before. I though it may be the CG was off after I repaired the nose. Then I noticed a small crack at the base of the rudder. Could this have caused the issues?
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
HI Guys.

I do realize that this model is not an Alula, but anyway....
Some other man-made planes have problems with birds as well. This particular raven really had his mind set on destruction......

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1QKQih7pfg

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2007
184 Posts
F***in brilliant. Loving these animal encounters. Quality vid there. Looked like he was gonna tear your rudder clean off.
wijwoj is online now Find More Posts by wijwoj
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:18 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Sorry...

Itīs not my plane, just found the vid at the giant spiders home..............

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:24 AM
Warrnambool, Victoria
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
I am a recent proud owner of an alula, there hasn't been enough daylight after work to give it a maiden so I have had to try and occupy my anticipation somehow. I decided that a great way would be to make a blog entry. It is really light on the build log, however there are quite a few pictures and I talk about my potential design..

Can't wait to fly it this weekend, check out the blog link. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265181
Scythe is offline Find More Posts by Scythe
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
Always in the Glue
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Oct 2003
150 Posts
Alula Lite

Here's a couple of pics of my completed Alula. My goal was to get the best light air performance possible, so I took some effort to save weight.

The A.U.W. is 5.3 ounces. I removed round wafers of foam from the aft portion of the wing and tail, the cutout pieces in pic 3 weigh 1 ounce. The holes are patched with Ultracote light. Using Michael's 300 m.a. pack in the nose required no additional balast to achieve the c.g. as indicated in the build instructions.

I liked the idea of top driven ailerons and also put some carbon reinforcement into the pod sides. Thanks to all who shared their mods and experience on this thread.

This kit was fun to assemble, I'm glad I bought two.
B.Welwood is online now Find More Posts by B.Welwood
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What Happened to Summer?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quite interesting B. Looking forward to hearing how she holds up. A friend is considering an Alula and I'm thinking he might roll with this idea. I'm curious, do the ultracote patches crinkle (audibly) when the wing flexes?
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:45 PM
Always in the Glue
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Oct 2003
150 Posts
No, when I flex the wing the covering just wrinkes a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:56 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,046 Posts
Have you flown this Alula yet? Intersted to hear about launch/flight performance. I got to fly someone else's Alula this weekend and now am anxious to get mine in the air.

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:07 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Cool.

For those interested, your wing loading should be aprx. 2.95 oz. / sq. ft.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:54 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Welwood View Post
Here's a couple of pics of my completed Alula. My goal was to get the best light air performance possible, so I took some effort to save weight...
Nice! Please report on flight performance and keep us informed on durability over time. I don't think it would stand up too well to heavy slope use in the brush, and hawk attacks. But looks great for SAL thermalling.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
Always in the Glue
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Oct 2003
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Nice! Please report on flight performance and keep us informed on durability over time. I don't think it would stand up too well to heavy slope use in the brush, and hawk attacks. But looks great for SAL thermalling.
I've now put in two trimming sessions (about 35 throws) so far. Weight has now jumped up to 5.5 oz. but I think the c.g. is set fairly close, next task is to get to a slope to gain enough height for a dive test. I'm not a very good thrower, most SAL's yielded 20 to 25 secs of airtime, from maybe 50 feet of altitude.
At this point, the airframe seems to be fairly robust in spite of the 9 chunks of foam removed. Couple of straight down nose-ins from 10 foot stalls, yikes, but the Alula just bounced with no damage. No problems with the ultracote covering.
I'm not sure about others but my Alula needs about 1/8 in. of "down" on the elevons to get a glide. Also very sensitive to pitch change. That's it for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Welwood View Post
...I'm not sure about others but my Alula needs about 1/8 in. of "down" on the elevons to get a glide. Also very sensitive to pitch change...
Yup, sounds like an Alula. Just use lots of dual rates on the elevons and very little pitch throw. I can hardly see mine move at all unless I look real close. I'm actually using a bit less throw than the book recommends. I also increased the roll throws to a lot more than recommended. Feels just right to me now. So mix the elevons to very little elevator and lots of aileron.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:25 AM
geez, I hope no-one saw that!
Ballarat
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
Bozo the pilot ! attempting to play catch with his Alula

(if you're not real good at catching your Alula, this might make you feel a little better!!)

Remote Control Boomerang (4 min 24 sec)
Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Hoges
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:51 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
588 Posts
Nice, John. Know just how you feel.
rockyabq is online now Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member