Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:06 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,958 Posts
Alula - Hawk attack video PART 2

Alula hawk attack PART 2 (see part 1 HERE). Same slope, same hawk, different day, this time with the camera facing aft. Slow motion video of hawk approaches and attacks. Took many attacks to capture these few good shots, and had to sacrifice some more foam out of my glider. Oh well, it's making it lighter!

Alula glider - Hawk attack 2 (2 min 3 sec)
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:42 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
You'd have to call it the "Alula-sizer"
Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
WOOOWWW wehre can I buy it?? wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it??wehre can I buy it?? LOL

EZ

PS. I love when a thread turns to nonsense
You already have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyabq View Post
Could Be You!
HAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Alula hawk attack PART 2 (see part 1 HERE). Same slope, same hawk, different day, this time with the camera facing aft. Slow motion video of hawk approaches and attacks. Took many attacks to capture these few good shots, and had to sacrifice some more foam out of my glider. Oh well, it's making it lighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ZWSt_6VOg
I now realize the hawk is trying to jack your camera.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:05 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
well trees now I need the instructional video for the complete Alula ripp-out

@like.2.fly: Cooool video also super nice flying spot you have there, Im honestly jelous

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:19 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
It's so simple a child could do it. Just hand launch your Alulasizer for 20 minutes a day and you will become ripped (one arm) and happier than a clam OR YOUR MONEY BACK!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:33 PM
Seattle, Wa
Joined Jul 2007
25 Posts
Anyone tried PlastiDip on the Alula? Lots of discussion on Weasel thread. Much toughness; minimal weight. I have it on my Weasel, and have had some pretty hard hits with no foam damage.
banjeff is offline Find More Posts by banjeff
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
I'd only plastidip your alula if you were only going to slope it.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
Seattle, Wa
Joined Jul 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Okay, I got an opinion. Now your reasoning for the opinion?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:17 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Minimal weight on a Weasel is not minimal on a Alula. I assume he meant that the added weight and protection needed for sloping an Alula might weigh too much or be overkill if you wanted the Alula for thermaling.

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:38 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
It seems like quite a few people use plasti dip and like it. I use it as a primer coat before paint but I'm not fond of the it as an outer coating because it's rubbery nature attracts grime and it's hard/impossible to clean. If that's not something that bothers you might just plasti dip high wear areas of your Alula which would give you added protection and at the same time keep the weight down.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:01 PM
Seattle, Wa
Joined Jul 2007
25 Posts
Got it today. Just checking. Non foam safe CA is okay for Arcel?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Yes, regular, non-foam safe CA is ok for Arcel.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2007
177 Posts
Alula-ing on a Windy Day...

Hey folks,

Here's my alula. The design was "inspired" by some other nice ones earlier on in the thread. Ta.

I've had it a while but its taken me longer do get it dialed in than the old one did. That's not helped by the fact I've only got a Hitec Laser 4 with no model memories, so I have to re-trim it every time I fly. One thing I forgot between flying the old one and now was how little elevator you actually need. I couldn't work out why it lost so much height and speed so fast, and turning the elevator rates right down sorted it right out.

I broke the nose off it last time I was up on this hill (Burrow Mump in Somerset, England) when the winds were stupidly strong and I got persuaded to chuck it up despite my better judgement. I had put carbon rods on the bottom to strengthen it, but it cracked across the top, not through anyone elses fault than my own though. The wind belted it into the hill. Glueing another couple of short rods in a slot on top with CA and squidging some uhu por into the crack has made it feel very tough again.

I'm a bit of a noob and haven't really tried to slope anything before, so I added another 20p piece just in front of the cg to give it a bit more weight.

It was bloody great fun! I could have stayed up there all day, but my mates wanted to head on. I only got a couple of videos and they weren't of the best flights, I'd say the wind was gusting to about 20mph and my best flights were a good 3 or 4 mins.

I'm entirely hooked!

Alula-ing on s Windy Day (1 min 11 sec)
wijwoj is online now Find More Posts by wijwoj
Last edited by wijwoj; Jun 21, 2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added a title
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:00 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,958 Posts
Very nice looking Alula wijwoj! I like that color scheme a lot.

Yes, they make fantastic little slopers. I now have more sloping hours on my Alula than any other glider I've ever owned over the past 20 years, and can't get enough of it. Flies great in winds from 5 - 25 mph, looks so cool in the air, and can handle plenty of abuse. 90% of my "landings" are just crashes into brush, rocks, or dirt. The nose eventually started to split across the top at the wing leading edge. Wings started to split back from leading edge along fuselage junction. This only after MANY hard nose-ins and cartwheels that would have destroyed lesser planes. Patched both with a little light fiberglass cloth and CA, and still holding well. I've been wanting to get a new one, but can't seem to totally wear this one out first. Forgot to mention that during original build I ran .015 music wire along wing leading edges and forward along sides of nose. This helped protect and strengthen it a lot, and only added about 3 grams of weight. Also solid glued the wings and tail on. Be sure to fully tape the plastic protector pod to the nose/belly as well. Very tough little bird.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2007
177 Posts
Cheers like.2.fly. Think I may try your music wire on the leading edge idea, mine's already lost a couple of small chunks from the windy outing. I actually bought two when I got this one, the second with the detacheable wing kit. Still trying to figure out a nice design for it. Once I've saved up for a new transmitter I'll hopefully be able to persuade a mate to come fly with me.

Loved your footage of the hawk attack. He seemed to have a serious grudge against your alula. Jealous of its good looks perhaps.
wijwoj is online now Find More Posts by wijwoj
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:57 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,799 Posts
can anyone tell me how thick the wing is on an alula at its thickest point? I am building something that looks like an alula and would like a similar chord.

Thanks,

Ken
chewbaccah is online now Find More Posts by chewbaccah