HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 10:14 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
Carbon tow isn't the best mod especially for the pod area. I showed a bullet-proof mod with pics here. Use fiberglass along the leading edge and extends to the pod. Then wrap the 'neck' with a little more fg. This reinforces that whole area. The plane can use some nose weight anyway so you may as well add usable weight...

Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 11:00 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,129 Posts
Check out the preview to my Alula hawk attack video HERE. Hope to complete the editing and post it soon.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old May 31, 2010, 03:25 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Hey You guys

I been flying the Alula and I got an unusual beahivour, after some meters of climbing in launch, the plane somehow "snaps" into a flat flying pattern, (the CG is perfect on the dimples) so it does not climb very hing, max 25 meters, do you guys have any experience with that?

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 31, 2010, 07:10 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
25 meters?

are you sure?
i use an altimeter in my alula, and when a throw to 25m, i'm happy

and i can tell you that i'm thowing it since month....

Alula Evo inboard outboard camera (4 min 27 sec)

if it's really possible to throw it much higher..... i will sure buy a brand new one and make my best mounting it!!! mine is now really in poor conditions, as it was my first glider after 15years stopping this hobby!!!

see you.....
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old May 31, 2010, 07:20 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
25 meters sounds like a respectable launch height for an Alula. I haven't read of people getting too much more than that. You might get more height with more weight but without a thermal you won't float as well/long.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old May 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Check out the preview to my Alula hawk attack video HERE. Hope to complete the editing and post it soon.
And finally, the actual video! Click HERE.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:54 AM
Joined Aug 2003
127 Posts
Great vid! That looked like a Peregrine to me?
JLeyland is offline Find More Posts by JLeyland
Old May 31, 2010, 02:07 PM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Like.2.fly.

Thats an awesome video! Great editing!
I really liked the slowmo and freeze parts!!

Hope you some day can make friends with that hawk, just tell him you´re not there for his girlfriends.............

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Old May 31, 2010, 05:40 PM
geez, I hope no-one saw that!
Ballarat
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Carbon tow isn't the best mod especially for the pod area. I showed a bullet-proof mod with pics here. Use fiberglass along the leading edge and extends to the pod. Then wrap the 'neck' with a little more fg. This reinforces that whole area. The plane can use some nose weight anyway so you may as well add usable weight...

Jun C.
I don't have much experience with fiberglassing stuff. I do know that there's quite a few different varieties of resin/polyester/cloth etc. What weight cloth and resin combination do you use for general foamie repairs?

Thanks,

John
Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Hoges
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:54 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
The Carbon Tow (CT) has been working great! The way it works is to cut a strip, tack it down with a little CA then coat the CT with more CA. Dries quick and strong with little weight added. I'll add some pix's later... I am liking it for foam reinforcement! Wow, went out with it today and flew for about an hour 1/2 got a 5 minute flight in a micro thermal, what fun!

The video of the falcon was great, do you have many "dings" in the Aluala?
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Last edited by Dakrat; Jun 01, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:13 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
...The video of the falcon was great, do you have many "ding" in the Aluala?
Yeah, after at least 20 hits the top surface now has a bunch of talon scrapes and missing foam chunks. Nothing too bad though. Many of them were just pulled up (like a piece of popcorn stuck to the wing) but still attached, and I was able to tuck them back into place. Some of the bigger holes I just covered with small pieces of clear packing tape. It's hangin' in there! Still flies great.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:15 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
John,

I'm really not much of a builder but here ya go.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=254

I just used whatever fg i had laying around. I think it's 2oz?? (maybe lighter tho) and some medium CA. It may be good to extend the fg more on the leading edge to protect from denting it.

Jun C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
I don't have much experience with fiberglassing stuff. I do know that there's quite a few different varieties of resin/polyester/cloth etc. What weight cloth and resin combination do you use for general foamie repairs?

Thanks,

John
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:50 PM
geez, I hope no-one saw that!
Ballarat
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
John,

I just used whatever fg i had laying around. I think it's 2oz?? (maybe lighter tho) and some medium CA. It may be good to extend the fg more on the leading edge to protect from denting it.

Jun C.
Thanks Jun, I would never have thought of using CA to set the cloth. That's very handy to know. My fiberglass reinforced tape patch job held up to 20-30 odd throws yesterday and is looking ok so far but I'll definitely source some fg cloth to keep on hand.

Cheers
Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Hoges
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:56 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,383 Posts
wrong thread!
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:05 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
Yeah, I got the fg 5 years ago, I think...
It's pretty easy to apply, too.
Just cut the proper sized piece; spray it with 3m77 or similar; lay it on where needed; soak fg with CA and wipe off excess.

Jun C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
Thanks Jun, I would never have thought of using CA to set the cloth. That's very handy to know. My fiberglass reinforced tape patch job held up to 20-30 odd throws yesterday and is looking ok so far but I'll definitely source some fg cloth to keep on hand.

Cheers