Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2010, 09:16 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
But if I dial in enough down trim to get it to launch a 70% angle wont I be riding the up elevator to keep it level during the glide?
There's one way to find out.

I mostly sloped my Alula but when I did have a flatland sessions I remember having the trim set for launching and having to manually correct after launch for the glide. The rides are short so it didn't bother me much. Some people keep the settings normal and compensate with their launch technique, others have different modes (launch, thermal, etc.) setup in their TX. Some have the elevator mixed to the throttle stick so they can trim for a variety of conditions more easily on the fly.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 11:09 AM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
573 Posts
I use a "launch" switch. Before launch I flip it and it dials in enough clicks of "down" elevator to keep the launch to about 70 degrees. Near the top of the launch, I flip the switch and I'm in "glide" mode.
I think this is pretty common with most all DLG planes.
--Rocky
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyabq View Post
I use a "launch" switch. Before launch I flip it and it dials in enough clicks of "down" elevator to keep the launch to about 70 degrees. Near the top of the launch, I flip the switch and I'm in "glide" mode.
I think this is pretty common with most all DLG planes.
--Rocky
Yes that seems to make the most sense. Being new to gliders and DLGs it took a while for me to realize. All of my other planes have been standard EP models that needed no programming on my TX. Once I finnish the repairs and learn how to program a launch switch on my radio I will be in much better shape.

Thanks
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old May 25, 2010, 01:22 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,119 Posts
Quote:
.... if I dial in enough down trim to get it to launch a 70% angle wont I be riding the up elevator to keep it level during the glide?
You may have to use a launch position as suggested and as is used by all DLG guys, but I have found that I don't need it with the Alula. You will still have to give the plane some guidance as it climbs. If it is climbing too steeply or the wind is blowing it off course you shouldn't be afraid to correct it's path.

The increased lift generated by the wing at launch speed dissipates as the plane slows down, so it will continue to fly in the direction it is going. In this case it is going up at a fairly steep angle, but continuing to slow down. At some point you have to use some down elevator to get the plane to fly level before it stalls. Learning when to apply the down elevator takes some practice.

Mark
mdennis is online now Find More Posts by mdennis
Old May 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Appreciate all the feedback guys. I finnished the repairs today and flexed the control surfaces a bit more. I played with my TX and set up a launch trim I can fiddle with to get a good angle. Just have to retest the CG then tape the skid back on.
Will probably take some practice launches again this evening. Really don't want to nose in again as I don't think my repair will hold up I come in with any velocity.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:41 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,120 Posts
The CG is critical for flying wings. Mine is set just at the back 'rim' of the dimples.
Your preset should be UP, not down. I think if you have a down launch preset, then your glide speed might be too slow. If you tried to speed it up, you'd have a porpoising plane... not very efficient.

Jun C.
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old May 25, 2010, 09:19 PM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Well I had a much more success today with the Alula. Using the launch switch with some down trim dialed in all my launches took off at about 70%. Need a little practice timing the top of the launch and leveling off but managed to get a good number of very smooth transition. It was a bit windy for flatland flying but it did make it more interesting and motivated my learning curve of glider flight characteristics. I have alot to learn.

Best part. My kids had a blast watching me fly it and trying to catch it. Gotta say of all the planes I have flown with them they had more fun today than any other. My youngest did not want to go home he just kept saying " One more throw" until it was getting to dark to continue. Hey I was having some fun too.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:39 PM
bpr
Oak Park, IL USA
Joined Jan 2005
113 Posts
Quote:
My youngest did not want to go home he just kept saying " One more throw" until it was getting to dark to continue. Hey I was having some fun too.
The bad news is that you are now addicted. Apparently the whole family is.

There ain't no cure for love of Alula.
bpr is offline Find More Posts by bpr
Old May 26, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
I can see how this can become addictive. Something very zen about flying a hand launch glider.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:36 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
Like Michael says: "minimal complexity for maximal enjoyment"

Quote:
I can see how this can become addictive. Something very zen about flying a hand launch glider.
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old May 28, 2010, 01:42 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2007
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snrek View Post
After many tosses and a lot of fun I finally managed to tear and break loose my home made EPP tail. This gave me the opportunity to make one from 3mm Depron. (Some stuff I had from pervious scratch builds.) Anyway I had purchased some carbon tow which I have never used but thought I would give it a try. I gotta say it seems to have worked pretty darn well! I ran a little of it length ways across the tail and some around the outside of the tail and used foam safe CA to hold it down. It came out at about the same weight as the EPP tail (4 grams) but it is stiffer and thinner. Hope to give it a try soon.
UPDATE: The Depron tail I made didnít hold up too well. I ended up installing the stock tail and had to add another 9 grams of weight up front for balance. Now it feels heavy and flyís faster. I get higher launches but air time is close to the same. Guess I need a little more air time before I make any changes but I am thinking the lighter tail is the way to go.
snrek is offline Find More Posts by snrek
Old May 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
A few weeks back I killed a servo, quite likely from the control horn hitting a rock on landing. I'm in Boulder, CO and I slope up at NCAR where the LZs are full of rocks. Like.2.fly suggested the obvious mitigation of running the control mech on top of the wing. So I did.

It was a fun little rework, and really nothing more then inverting the control mechanism. The only foam cutting required is a rectangular cutout through the top of the servo bay. Removing the control horns from the elevon takes a new X-acto blade and some patience (mine were on with CA), but the underside of the elevon looks fine now that I'm done.

Any other tips on how to rock-proof an Alula are welcome.
Erasmas is offline Find More Posts by Erasmas
Old May 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
...running the control mech on top of the wing. So I did...
Nice! That's exactly what I had pictured in my mind. Might be a little less drag too. Let us know how it works out for you.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old May 30, 2010, 03:15 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
What am I doing wrong, I repaired my tail with carbon tow but now the pod is starting to tear... More carbon tow, am I throwing it too hard? I am not catching it on every throw but I am not crashing it either I am landing on astro turf so what is up? Is anybody else having this problem....
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Last edited by Dakrat; May 31, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:11 PM
geez, I hope no-one saw that!
Ballarat
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
Yep, mine cracked too. Despite the carbon - actually the crack ran out to the end of the carbon. Bit of glue, bit of tape, we'll try again!!!
Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Hoges