HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
trees: thanks for those links! i have a couple possible locations, just depends on how many trees are around. well just have to see. ill post em if they are successful!

TD: ill have to come down some time! most likely after mid january though. gonna be pretty busy.

and to all!: so im 99.9 percent done with my build. just waiting on some glue to dry in the nose. ill post some pics and more details later. i wish i had a scale! what i can say is that i have far less than 12 grams of nose weight. when i did a dry fit and places quarters on top, it took two about an inch and a half from the tip of the nose. two quarters weight roughly 12-13 grams. i did a custom lead sinker job in the very very tip of the nose. not sure how much weight i saved but its balanced, ready for trimming!
BillHones is offline Find More Posts by BillHones
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:50 AM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm getting an Alula for Christmas, along with the servo+battery package from Dream Flight. This will be my first glider. Any potential gotchas, or recommended changes/additions from stock setup? I see a lot of people reinforcing with CF and piano wire in various spots...
schamberlin is offline Find More Posts by schamberlin
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:33 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I would advise against sanding the "nubs" off. CF reinforcement for the nose is a nice mod. Heed the instructions and tape the nose carefully and completely for nice strong support from the belly pan (and the tape). Be careful not to accidentally force the BB servos as you may strip the delicate gears.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:09 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schamberlin View Post
Hi folks,

I'm getting an Alula for Christmas, along with the servo+battery package from Dream Flight. This will be my first glider. Any potential gotchas, or recommended changes/additions from stock setup? I see a lot of people reinforcing with CF and piano wire in various spots...
reinforce the sides of the pod with some carbon stringers. slice the sides of the pod with a knife maybe 1/8" deep from about an inch behind the tip of the pod, and about an inch past where the wing and pod join. push some carbon rods in the slits and hit it with thin CA.

on strong throws the pod takes a lot of abuse since it houses the battery. the carbon reinforcing while mitigate any potential failures.
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:41 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,198 Posts
What RCPC said!

I stripped a bb306 last outing, for no reason I can see. As I'm no longer using the Alula on the flat I'll just put in HS-65's.

For those with less than 50secs of hang time, the biggest killers of flight time on any DLG and the Alula in particular are:

- smooth transition from climb to glide
- glide at VERY close to stall speed (in smooth air)
- absolutely minimal control inputs - NO turns unless absolutely necessary
- note that a CG slightly ahead of neutral helps a lot for minimising control inputs

I use Flight Modes with mine (because I can ). The thermal mode has lots of expo on both elevator and aileron, and is trimmed to just barely fly above stall speed. I get 45-55 secs every time unless it's turbulent.

Go Great!

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Dec 21, 2009, 03:16 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken View Post
- smooth transition from climb to glide
- absolutely minimal control inputs - NO turns unless absolutely necessary
- note that a CG slightly ahead of neutral helps a lot for minimising control inputs
Ken,
this should be a sticky post at the top of the HLG forum! great advice!
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
Steve Chamberlin
Bay Area, CA
Joined Oct 2009
121 Posts
In an earlier thread, I saw some speculation that the skin of the foam was under tension, and that cutting into the pod to add CF would actually weaken it. What do you guys think?
schamberlin is offline Find More Posts by schamberlin
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken View Post
Perhaps it is because of my experience flying the AG series, but I usually fly pretty fast. Maybe, I'll try slowing down the flight.
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schamberlin View Post
In an earlier thread, I saw some speculation that the skin of the foam was under tension, and that cutting into the pod to add CF would actually weaken it. What do you guys think?
I don't really see much of a skin on Arcel foam. I doubt this is the case.
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
They also recommend in the instructions that sanding the mold marks off can help performance a bit.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:18 PM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
i thought about doing so too (actually shaving them off with shaving cream and a razor) but chose not to. i think it is only a marginal gain in the flats. cant see it adding more than a second or two on average. plus if you sand to much i think the foam becomes weaker as someone noted, the "skin" holds it together a bit. also if you sand it, you limit yourself to finishing options. you can paint but with marginal coverage and with sharpies or paint pens it may take some extra extra extra time! if you sand it you may consider covering in the good'ol fashioned packing tape.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 03:04 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I sanded mine and regret it. The surface became very porous/fuzzy and sucked up a lot of paint. If I build another Alula in the future it will not be sanded.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:10 AM
Sussex, NJ
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
my b u i l d

so here is the shot of the nose weight i used. should have weighed it before i put it in. no scale though... ill find final flying weight eventually.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHones View Post
trees: thanks for those links! i have a couple possible locations, just depends on how many trees are around. well just have to see. ill post em if they are successful!

TD: ill have to come down some time! most likely after mid january though. gonna be pretty busy.

and to all!: so im 99.9 percent done with my build. just waiting on some glue to dry in the nose. ill post some pics and more details later. i wish i had a scale! what i can say is that i have far less than 12 grams of nose weight. when i did a dry fit and places quarters on top, it took two about an inch and a half from the tip of the nose. two quarters weight roughly 12-13 grams. i did a custom lead sinker job in the very very tip of the nose. not sure how much weight i saved but its balanced, ready for trimming!
Just let me know when. I'll have to go an unlock the gate for ya.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:54 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I wasn't too happy sanding mine at first, but I got 600 grit sandpaper and now there are no fuzzies. I also didn't paint mine as I wanted to keep mine as light as possible, 5.6 oz. AUW. But I could see it sucking up a lot of paint if I did. I put a few pieces of trim tape on mine for decoration, but that's it.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj