HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2010
45 Posts
I would get extra plastic skid pads.........i broke both of mine for weasel and alula......it's not a big deal but.....I do need to order them.....

I used the weasel's switch without it's cover for the alula.....so maybe a switch......

His tape is awesome if you live somewhere You can't get good materials
grandpost is offline Find More Posts by grandpost
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
Another thing that might have happened is damage during handling before flight. With the gearing/resistance/gear strength on the BB servos you really don't want to move the servos while they're off.

I trimmed the tip of the servo arm that isn't being used and rounded the end. Probably helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would think it to be practically impossible to strip a servo in flight on the Alula where forces are so light. It is far more likely you hit something on landing. Did you trim off the excess length of control horns? That helps lessen the risk of servo damage from landing impact. I have flown the heck out of my Alula with the stock BMS servos over the last couple of weeks, including many hard and fast landings in brush, gravel, and rocks of various sizes. Both servos are still fine.

I still think the best solution, which someone else mentioned in this forum, is to extend the servo arms through the wing and out the top side, or mount the servos themselves top side; so all the linkages are up there and out of harms way.
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old May 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2007
539 Posts
Back in Late March I had ordered my Alula and put it together the day I got it. About the middle of April I severely cracked the pod near the front of the wing. Repaired it and was still getting 20/30 second flights until today! On my 6 or 7th launch I caught a small thermal or uplift and it climbed to a couple of hundred feet! Iím not really sure what I was doing other than slowly circling and using light control inputs but what a cool feeling. Iím the only one in the group that has a motor-less glider or glider for that matter. Another guy there said he didnít think it was possible to fly so long without a motor and would not have believed it if he hadnít seen it for himself. I wasnít timing any of my flights but I think I got a solid 2-1/2 to 3 minutes of air time on this launch. The following launch was back to a short flight but I managed to catch it at the end of the flight. I called it a day and headed for home.
snrek is offline Find More Posts by snrek
Old May 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
542 Posts
Very cool snrek. Im throwing my EVO and only getting about 30-40seconds. Waiting for the day I catch a thermal.
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old May 16, 2010, 11:37 PM
geez, I hope no-one saw that!
Ballarat
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
Very informative thread - thanks guys. Mine is nearly ready - just waiting on some HXT500's to finish with. Geez, sure have carved out some foam to fit the receiver (6110E) and battery (AAA Eneloops). Going to hook the battery up via a short extension lead which I'll try to locate just under the top 'hatch' so I can easily unplug and charge without having to cut holes in the plastic skid pan. Think I've done enough cutting already! Put some carbon rod along either side of the pod for a bit of extra support. Might have a look in the shed and see if I still have a bit of fiberglass cloth...
Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Hoges
Old May 17, 2010, 02:11 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hello All,

I just finished the "light tail" I used an old Alula (spare) tail that I had around, with that I could use my 1/2AAA batery pack, the total weight went down 20g to 164g. I could not try it because of the awfull weather we have around. If you want a super light Alula that is the way to go.

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 17, 2010, 03:35 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy eisele View Post
This might be a sacrilege: Has anybody experimented with a hook for a high start?

Several hundred ft of altitude off the high start would certainly allow more time to find a thermal - oh, and there is still exercise: You have to set up the high start and then walk and get the chute, etc...
Launches far higher than the best hi-start and you don't have to drag a hi-start with you. Setup involves plugging in a fresh lipo.

Much less hassle than a piggy-back launch because it doesn't require another airplane and pilot to launch.

23 minute flights in still air and 40+ with thermals and the ability to fly where only buzzards dare.

Able to fly up, up, and away from the site of what was going to be your next crash.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957
Richard N is online now Find More Posts by Richard N
Old May 17, 2010, 04:20 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I'm not much into powered flight these days BUT I do think you did a mighty fine job on your conversion and it is undoubtedly a fun, functional flyer. As a matter of fact I was just thinking about your E-lula the other day. I was trying to dream (-flight?) up a way to create a pre-manufactured pod that would allow this conversion to be quickly added or removed depending on ones day-to-day needs. The initial install would require clipping the beak off the stock Alula, gluing in some sort of plug system then it's all downhill from there. Within minutes (after the initial mod) you could have a motor-less Alula for slope/HLG or a twist and a few cable connections later you could be powered up and ready for adventure. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it would be too heavy, maybe both but I'm free to dream!
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old May 17, 2010, 04:55 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
hehehe, cool E-Alula. I had wonder about that for many years, since the old alula. I am now thinking about a scratch build centre section, so I just need to change the wings and receiver into the elctric version. but well that is still in the future, any recomendations for a HobbyKing motor-esc combo for the E-Alula?

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 17, 2010, 07:35 AM
Does Reverse Gravity Suck?
Wagga Wagga. Australia
Joined Apr 2004
453 Posts
What are you guys doing (setup) with your radios for launch ...if anything!

Have an early Alula and a new second hand JR 9x.

thanks

Barry
Bazr is offline Find More Posts by Bazr
Old May 17, 2010, 01:05 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
I'm not much into powered flight these days BUT I do think you did a mighty fine job on your conversion and it is undoubtedly a fun, functional flyer. As a matter of fact I was just thinking about your E-lula the other day. I was trying to dream (-flight?) up a way to create a pre-manufactured pod that would allow this conversion to be quickly added or removed depending on ones day-to-day needs. The initial install would require clipping the beak off the stock Alula, gluing in some sort of plug system then it's all downhill from there. Within minutes (after the initial mod) you could have a motor-less Alula for slope/HLG or a twist and a few cable connections later you could be powered up and ready for adventure. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it would be too heavy, maybe both but I'm free to dream!
trees,

Thanks for the compliment.

Interchangeable noses could work, but it might be simpler to do two mission optimized airplanes that each do their thing best: The Alula for when you are at the slopes and the E-lula for when you are on the flats.

I don't have access to slopes, so that is why I created the E-lula.

Interchangeable noses could work, but would add weight, complexity, and a new most likely place for breakage in a crash. Having two airplanes would let you keep flying after you broke one and would not ground you until you broke two.

On "I'm not much into powered flight these days", consider that soaring birds didn't get up there with an SAL or hi-start. They use powered flight just when they need to. From the ground or their perch, they throttle up until they reach thermal altitude and then shut it down and go hunting for thermals. They also use power for manouvering for landing.

I fly the E-lula the same way. I SAL and before it slows down too much I go to full throttle for 40-50 seconds and then shut it down to hunt for thermals. When it gets low I throttle up and climb again. If I see a buzzard hogging a thermal, I can go over and see if he will share.

Power also keeps me from having to climb trees or ask if I can get up on someones roof to get my airplane. Most of my flying has been out of my front yard over my neighborhood.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:07 PM
SoCA, SF-Valley
Joined Sep 2004
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N View Post
Launches far higher than the best hi-start and you don't have to drag a hi-start with you. Setup involves plugging in a fresh lipo.

Much less hassle than a piggy-back launch because it doesn't require another airplane and pilot to launch.

23 minute flights in still air and 40+ with thermals and the ability to fly where only buzzards dare.

Able to fly up, up, and away from the site of what was going to be your next crash.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957

Hi Richard,

You are right - this certainly beats a high start! Maybe we should set up an interest group and get Mr. Richter from Dream-Flight to come up with a fuselage catering to E-Propulsion? Glas & Carbon Fiber, the 2.4GHz antennas could go into the wings...

How about it, Mr. Richter?
willy eisele is online now Find More Posts by willy eisele
Old May 17, 2010, 01:16 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
hehehe, cool E-Alula. I had wonder about that for many years, since the old alula. I am now thinking about a scratch build centre section, so I just need to change the wings and receiver into the elctric version. but well that is still in the future, any recomendations for a HobbyKing motor-esc combo for the E-Alula?

EZ
EZ,

I am working on another E-lula and am going to try one of the HK "Blue Wonder" outrunners, possibly 1700KV. I am currently using a Castle 10 ESC and will probably use that again. HK has some ESCs that should work, but I haven't tried them yet. My battery is a 2S Rhino 750ma which is about the max battery weight for keeping the CG in the right place. A 3S battery is not necessary in this application and would weigh a third more with the same ma rating.

Richard
Old May 17, 2010, 01:27 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
Very informative thread - thanks guys. Mine is nearly ready - just waiting on some HXT500's to finish with. Geez, sure have carved out some foam to fit the receiver (6110E) and battery (AAA Eneloops). Going to hook the battery up via a short extension lead which I'll try to locate just under the top 'hatch' so I can easily unplug and charge without having to cut holes in the plastic skid pan. Think I've done enough cutting already! Put some carbon rod along either side of the pod for a bit of extra support. Might have a look in the shed and see if I still have a bit of fiberglass cloth...
FYI on a couple of things. There's a pic way back of a guy that rubber banded his tray on and it scrunched the foam over time and he couldn't get it to shape back. Also, if you hit the nose it breaks off easily and taping the pod all the way around with the tape they give you strengthens it and keeps that from happening as easily. You're carbon would help with that, but taping the pod like that helps as well.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old May 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
What is the turnaround on shipping from DreamFlight. I ordered about 4 days ago and still no word from them. I know they say 3-5 days but is that accurate.

Thanks
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno