HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2010, 12:54 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
I am getting ready to purchace an Alula.
What do you guys think of the flight pack offered on Dream-Flight.com for the Alula?
Are the BMS-306BB sub-micro servos, and the 4.8V 300mAh NiMH battery the best match for it? Price seems good and rather than not pay shipping somewhere else when I could order them all together with the Alula.

Thanks
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 01:32 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
What do you guys think of the flight pack offered on Dream-Flight.com for the Alula? Are the BMS-306BB sub-micro servos, and the 4.8V 300mAh NiMH battery the best match for it? Price seems good and rather than not pay shipping somewhere else when I could order them all together with the Alula...
Mine is all stock. BMS-306BB servos are good. Better than most. Can buy better, but cost will be much higher. Stock 1/3AA 300mAh battery is fine. But since you have to end up adding a fair amount of nose weight to balance anyway, some claim it is better spent in a heavier higher capacity battery pack, like maybe a 2/3AA or even a full-size AAA pack (all of which are 4.8V 4-cell). The Alula nose comes molded for the 1/3AA pack, so if you get something bigger you will have to carve out some foam to make it fit, which will weaken the nose some. If you go with the stock items then it is a better deal to get them straight from Dream-Flight when you order your Alula.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; May 08, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 08, 2010, 01:46 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,112 Posts
Quote:
What do you guys think of the flight pack offered on Dream-Flight.com for the Alula?
Are the BMS-306BB sub-micro servos, and the 4.8V 300mAh NiMH battery the best match for it? Price seems good and rather than not pay shipping somewhere else when I could order them all together with the Alula.

Thanks

I like D47s servos for the wing instead. They're lighter. The battery is more than enough. A blade will improve the launch height. CA the wings and tail on to stiffen things up as well.
Make sure to reinforce the nose to wing area with fiberglass wrap and extend the fiberglass to the leading edge. I think I have pics in here...

Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old May 08, 2010, 01:46 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
There's a bit of battery talk throughout the thread but most recently there was a lengthy exchange of information pertaining to batteries starting around post #502. In short, if you're going for ease of ordering and installation the stock pack is a good option. The stock pack would also be choice for an ultra-lightweight Alula if that's what you're looking for. If you're shooting for longer run time and more creative ballasting a 4xaaa pack is the way to go. Again, start at post #502 for more details and opinions in the posts that follow it.

So far I've been very happy with the BB servos that shipped with my Weasel but I found the BMS-306BB servos to be too fragile, stripping too easily. It appears several other people have used them with no complaints but I wouldn't put them in my Alula again. I've been using HXT-900 servos as a replacement because that's what I had lying around. They worked well but they were a bit big. Some Alulites have used HXT-500 servos with success so I'm going to reluctantly give them a shot. I potted them in with foamy gorilla glue for a perfect fit. I suppose the pros would use hitec or dymond micro servos.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old May 08, 2010, 01:48 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Since this will be my first glider/sloper I will probably stick to the stock set up since I do not want to mod too much till I am comfortable with the setup and performance.

Just how long will the stock batteries last on a charge?
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old May 08, 2010, 02:08 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
If you do go with the BMS servos order an extra one and a gear set or two. No fun waiting 5 days to fly your ultra-fun new bird with a busted servo.

I don't think anyone has posted an exact time on the stock battery duration. Maybe we're too caught up in the moment to keep track of time. My unofficial estimate would be 2-2.5 hours at the slope. It may last longer hand launching since it's not continuous flight. I'm guessing I'll get a day of flying in with the 4xaaa pack.
Old May 08, 2010, 04:18 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
You'll get plenty of time on the stock set up and the nose will be all the stronger for it .
-=RCpeterV=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
Old May 08, 2010, 09:54 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
I'd say 2-2.5 hours at the slope on the stock battery pack. I did strip one of my stock servos once but since then no incidents (thought I'd stripped one again but it was sand in the gears). If you fly on the beach note that there is an opening where sand can get into the servo. I plan to put some hot glue there. Pretty happy with the BlueBird servos actually. I could see upgrading but they work fine. Do get an extra set of gears or two.

Flew mine today at Fort Funston in San Francisco. Not really supposed to fly there when there are hang gliders up but I was down by the beach and kept it well below the lowest level of the cliffs. Still amazed how well the Alula flies in light winds. I'd say 5-10mph on the slope might be ideal. Did have the nose/wing joint break, but I was letting some junior pilots fly and they kept crashing it into some rocks. Next step is to reinforce it!

Still big grins over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
If you do go with the BMS servos order an extra one and a gear set or two. No fun waiting 5 days to fly your ultra-fun new bird with a busted servo.

I don't think anyone has posted an exact time on the stock battery duration. Maybe we're too caught up in the moment to keep track of time. My unofficial estimate would be 2-2.5 hours at the slope. It may last longer hand launching since it's not continuous flight. I'm guessing I'll get a day of flying in with the 4xaaa pack.
mangtronix is offline Find More Posts by mangtronix
Old May 09, 2010, 04:10 PM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Have to add my one data point here - Got the bundled servos and 1/3AA pack with my Alula, but stripped a servo on my Alula's maiden flight today. Bummer. The control horn *could* have been hit by a rock on landing (I fly at NCAR in Boulder where the LZs are full of large rocks), but I have had other birds survive lots of hard landings with no broken servos so I'm not viewing the supplied servos in a very favorable light right now. I'm actually thinking the servo stripped in flight as a sudden loss of control is what induced the "unplanned" landing.

I do want to emphasize that the customer service at Dream Flight is awesome and the Alula is a great product. But I think I'm going to order up some Hitec HS-45HBs for my Alula as I have had a great experience with them in my StingerV2.
Erasmas is offline Find More Posts by Erasmas
Old May 09, 2010, 04:19 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
I do want to emphasize that the customer service at Dream Flight is awesome and the Alula is a great product...
I couldn't agree more.
Old May 09, 2010, 04:29 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
...I'm actually thinking the servo stripped in flight as a sudden loss of control is what induced the "unplanned" landing...
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would think it to be practically impossible to strip a servo in flight on the Alula where forces are so light. It is far more likely you hit something on landing. Did you trim off the excess length of control horns? That helps lessen the risk of servo damage from landing impact. I have flown the heck out of my Alula with the stock BMS servos over the last couple of weeks, including many hard and fast landings in brush, gravel, and rocks of various sizes. Both servos are still fine.

I still think the best solution, which someone else mentioned in this forum, is to extend the servo arms through the wing and out the top side, or mount the servos themselves top side; so all the linkages are up there and out of harms way.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old May 09, 2010, 05:55 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
I've been using HXT-900 servos as a replacement because that's what I had lying around. They worked well but they were a bit big. Some Alulites have used HXT-500 servos with success so I'm going to reluctantly give them a shot. I potted them in with foamy gorilla glue for a perfect fit. I suppose the pros would use hitec or dymond micro servos.
My HXT 500s have worked fantastic in all applications especially the Alula. My HXT 900s are certainly better then the slew of HS 55s I've gone through in the past. I recently replaced my Hitec servos in my T-rex with HXT 900s because if I wreck and strip a servo, I just swap out the entire servo for 3 dollars and 50 cents. ... Easy. Thing is is that my HXTs on all of my cheaper foamies haven't stripped as easily as my Hitec 55s. The biggest problem I see though is when many people use a 10 gram servo when a 5 gram is more applicable and vise versa. The HXT 500s are a good match for the Alula and work long and well. The D 47 (4.7 gram) servo is of course the "Pro" option in this case. HXT 900s are overkill for this little guy.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old May 09, 2010, 09:56 PM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I still think the best solution, which someone else mentioned in this forum, is to extend the servo arms through the wing and out the top side, or mount the servos themselves top side; so all the linkages are up there and out of harms way.
That is an excellent idea. Sometimes I find that I don't truly start to love my aircraft until I have heavily modified them. Reworking the control hardware to be above the wing will be a fun customization. Thanks for making the obvious, well, obvious.
Erasmas is offline Find More Posts by Erasmas
Old May 10, 2010, 11:24 PM
SoCA, SF-Valley
Joined Sep 2004
9 Posts
This might be a sacrilege: Has anybody experimented with a hook for a high start?

Several hundred ft of altitude off the high start would certainly allow more time to find a thermal - oh, and there is still exercise: You have to set up the high start and then walk and get the chute, etc...
willy eisele is offline Find More Posts by willy eisele
Old May 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
It should be relatively easy but there are always risks when you tie something to a length of rubber and fling it off into the air.

'About a Weasel but applies to an Alula as well...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1664

Old but dedicated thread to hi-starting the Alula...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773717
Last edited by trees; May 15, 2010 at 02:12 AM.