SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:21 AM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,429 Posts
You can thin the hinge line with a bit of 220 grit tapering toward the tip.

Pete
-=RCpeterV=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:13 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
HEy Guys, I am almost done with the build of my new alula, I had the same hinge problem on the right wing, I will try with a bit of sanding. I installed the 4AAA enloop pack and the plane balances without weight, I think it might be bit nose heavy, 1mm forward perhaps, but I still need to install the receiver.

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:04 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
HEy Guys, I am almost done with the build of my new alula, I had the same hinge problem on the right wing, I will try with a bit of sanding. I installed the 4AAA enloop pack and the plane balances without weight, I think it might be bit nose heavy, 1mm forward perhaps, but I still need to install the receiver.

EZ
Check it after you install your receiver. You might have to move your battery towards the back a little to get it to balance in the dimples. There is at least one guy I know of that flys his balanced a little forward of the dimples, so you might try flying it that way before you change it.
Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:40 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Yeah denis I will do that, now I have to wait for the receiver to come :P I think I will have to move the batt a bit backwards to achieve perfect balance. I know how pitchy are this birds when they are not properly balanced

EZ
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:51 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,128 Posts
You will find that it is kind of pitch sensitive when balanced on the dimples, but all flying wing/planks are pitchy. You don't need much surface movement. Because of this, you want to be sure that your servos center well, just a slight bit off and who knows where your next throw will go. Just make sure your first trim flights start with gentle tosses, not a full blown throw, until you get it dialed in and get a feel for it.

Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:31 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Yeap, that is the next task, check the servos for centering, and yeap this is my second Alula (I had the original version) so I know how to proceed, thanks anyway for the word of advise

EZ
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:11 AM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=RCpeterV=- View Post
You can thin the hinge line with a bit of 220 grit tapering toward the tip.

Pete
Excellent and obvious (in retrospect) idea. I haven't worked with ARCEL foam before and I don't have a feel for how thin it can get and still maintain structural integrity. This will be a good way to find out.

Thanks for the tip.
Erasmas is offline Find More Posts by Erasmas
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:09 AM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,429 Posts
You bet

Take a few strokes ,I use the corner of the sanding block, at a time and check the flex by moving the elevon from the horn position. Of course the sanding follows a thorough manual flexing.

Pete
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:22 PM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=RCpeterV=- View Post
You bet

Take a few strokes ,I use the corner of the sanding block, at a time and check the flex by moving the elevon from the horn position. Of course the sanding follows a thorough manual flexing.

Pete
Yeah, I had done the vigorous manual flexing all along the hinge line and still had the effect I was describing.

I worked with some 220 at the bottom of the hinge channel and presto, the whole elevon stays nicely straight through about +/-14mm of throw, which is way more than I need.

Carbon stiffeners would have been overengineering it. I appreciate the tip.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:10 AM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,429 Posts
Great .
Old May 03, 2010, 08:16 PM
Tehachapi, California, USA
Joined Jul 2007
73 Posts
Alula Classic

I recently built a classic Alula and made it with separate elevators.

3 x GWS Pico +F/BB servos
Spectrum AR6100 receiver
ElectriFly C-12 ESC
300 mAh Li-Po battery
About 4g of lead in nose

Elevators span 6.5 inches each. Flying weight is 130g (4.6oz). Flies great!
Kinnerhatz is offline Find More Posts by Kinnerhatz
Old May 04, 2010, 01:02 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
632 Posts
Little Slope and DS video

Hi guys.

Here is a little video from another danish Alula pilot.

Sloping in 4m/s wind and DS-ing about the same.

Enjoy
Alula, mini DS. (2 min 30 sec)

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Old May 04, 2010, 02:29 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Woooowowowo Rubson, what a cool flying spot I would love to have something like that nearby me :P, long time withouth sloping :P Cool DS
video too My receiver is on the post now I will have my alula finished tonight, I think I will be on the heavy side 180g now I have to wait for some good weather to test it next sunday is national F3K championship here in Switzerland I will bring my alula to play around and as backup for my "backup" Plane

EZ
Old May 06, 2010, 10:01 PM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
Thanks again to rcPeterV for the tips, and Lo! Another Alula is ready to fly. I'll get this thing out this weekend for some hand tosses and fine tuning, and fingers crossed for good wind in Boulder!
Old May 08, 2010, 03:59 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Success!!!!

Today I maiden my alula EVO, was a great day, bit too cold but no wind so perfect for the mainden. the CG was one milimiter back from the centre of the knoches, but the flight was unconfortable, after the firs sesion of "flights" I let it rest and flew my DLG. Refreseched for the good thermik activity I took the Alula back but this time I put a tiny piece of lead on the nose, and..... perfect going up strainght and gliding nicely just like the old one, the trnasitions are still a bit too hard but I can fly it around me without a problem. I even manage to catch a small bubble of hot air and ideed is a funny thing to see, this little plane just bumps up.

Pictures comming soon

EZ